Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #1

Towing in 3rd gear?

Hi All,

Well it is almost time for that first trip. We picked up our 2012 X18D at the end of March, moved all the caming stuff in - spent way to much on some new goodies and off to the storage area it went.

But wednesday it comes back and packing for this weekend and our maiden voyage begins!!!

My question is on gas mileage. It was about 90 miles towing it home from the dealership, all highway. We have a 2004 Toyota 4Runner with a V6 and while I had enough power I did notice that the engine seemed to be doing a fair amount of down shifting.

I had a friend suggest that if I pull the TT while in 3 instead of D, it will be easier on the TV and I will get better gas milage.

We are going to Devils Lake WI, about 115 miles from Appleton WI.. I am thinking of doing it in D on the way there and 3 on the way back, or just plaing with the trip computer and trying to figure how to get the best gas mileage!?

I would be interested to hear your thoughts!

PS TTChamp is for a game we play.... had no idea it had a completely different meaning on this forum.
:confused:
TTChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #2

Hi- If your tow vehicle is hunting for gears, then I'd advise dropping it from D to the next gear postition down. It doesnt suprise me that your V6 is shifting down; your trailer is 8ft wide, 9.5ft tall, 20ft tall, and creates substantial wind resistance that the tow vehicle has to overcome. Add a 30mph headwind or sidewind and the vehicle has to work that much harder. Some vehicles have a tow/haul mode (usually a button on the dash or column shifter) which locks out overdrive. What does your Toyota manual say about towing?
Old 04-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by go wild View Post
snip......Some vehicles have a tow/haul mode (usually a button on the dash or column shifter) which locks out overdrive.......snip
In my case the Tow/Haul adds a little more RPM (about 500 rpm) to my shift points, but doesn't lock OD. I'm not familiar with some of the other manufacturer's Tow/Haul.

I do agree with dropping it down a gear if the tranny is "searching" frequently.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
In my case the Tow/Haul adds a little more RPM (about 500 rpm) to my shift points, but doesn't lock OD. I'm not familiar with some of the other manufacturer's Tow/Haul.

I do agree with dropping it down a gear if the tranny is "searching" frequently.

Bob

X2. Even in tow/haul mode mine will shift into OD under the right conditions, just at a higher RPM/speed.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTChamp View Post
Hi All,

Well it is almost time for that first trip. We picked up our 2012 X18D at the end of March, moved all the caming stuff in - spent way to much on some new goodies and off to the storage area it went.

But wednesday it comes back and packing for this weekend and our maiden voyage begins!!!

My question is on gas mileage. It was about 90 miles towing it home from the dealership, all highway. We have a 2004 Toyota 4Runner with a V6 and while I had enough power I did notice that the engine seemed to be doing a fair amount of down shifting.

I had a friend suggest that if I pull the TT while in 3 instead of D, it will be easier on the TV and I will get better gas milage.

We are going to Devils Lake WI, about 115 miles from Appleton WI.. I am thinking of doing it in D on the way there and 3 on the way back, or just plaing with the trip computer and trying to figure how to get the best gas mileage!?

I would be interested to hear your thoughts!
Towing in 3rd would be easier on your transmission & stop the constant up and down shifting, however it will not give you better gas mileage. In fact, it will give you worse gas mileage as you will be kept constantly at a higher RPM by locking out 4th gear.
cablerum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #6

I agree that it would be better to tow in 3rd gear, and to worry less about fuel economy and to drive in a way that prevents early failure of drivetrain components.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #7

tow our 184 bh with a 2001 6 cyl. ford f150. lock out od as per the owners manual so basically towing in third gear. mileage is terrible with or without tt but tv only has 30k original miles and pulls well. forget aboutthe gas mileage and enjoy your camping trip
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #8

Running higher RPM's dosn't always mean poorer gas mileage. You burn more gas if you are in a higher gear with your right foot burried in the carpet and are just holding your speed. To me higher RPM with less throttle is better.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Running higher RPM's dosn't always mean poorer gas mileage. You burn more gas if you are in a higher gear with your right foot burried in the carpet and are just holding your speed. To me higher RPM with less throttle is better.
I'm not an auto expert by any means, but I'd have to disagree. Take 1/2 ton trucks for example. Over the years the have gone from 3 speed auto to 4 to 5 and in the last couple years now a 6 speed auto. If you read up on this, the additional high gear is to help increase fuel economy by lowering RPM's at highway speeds. I understand how you drive and how heavy your foot is also plays a factor, but take away your top gear and fuel economy will suffer.

On the other hand, if fuel economy is a major concern there is really no way around it when towing. In short, it will suck. As they say, gotta pay if you wanna play.
cablerum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Very true, I get better fuel economy in my diesel at 60 mph when I'm in 5th gear at 1700 rpm vs 6th gear at 1500 rpm. Finding your vehicles torque band, and then staying at or near that number is where you will likely achieve your best fuel economy. BTW, you will never get 'good' fuel economy towing a 'sail' behind your vehicle. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will chime in.

As far as the campground, Devils Lake is awesome! I spent a weekend there this past fall and I really enjoyed it. It is a totally different look than Appleton is, I think that you will find it quite appealing. If you are into hiking, make sure to hike the trails on either side of the lake, the views are breathtaking from the bluffs.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Running higher RPM's dosn't always mean poorer gas mileage.....snip
With my TV/TT combination I have to agree with that statement. My 6.0L gasser doesn't loose any MPG when I tow at 62mph in 3rd, as compared to towing in 4th (D) with the transmission hunting frequently for gears (tranny temp rises a little as well) under the same conditions. With my set-up in 3rd gear it throws out another 400-500rpm at 62 mph.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #12

Thanks for all the great feedback !! I will check my owners manual too. I know that I will never get good gas mileage pulling my TT but I do want to make sure I am not stressing the TV more than I have to. At 150K mile on our Toyota it has been rock solid. Other than normal maintence and a sun roof repair that I was able to do myself, it has been a great vehicle.

I'll post next week how our first trip in the new camper went!

PS TTChamp is for a game we play.... had no idea it had a completely different meaning on this forum.
:confused:
TTChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #13

If you don't have a transmission cooler, this would be a great time to add one, and get the fluid changed while you are at it. It will keep you TV moving a lot longer.