Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-23-2019, 06:45 PM   #1

Towing X23B

Need some opinions here: we just upgraded from a 2018 X17z to a 2019 X23b a few weeks ago and we love the new floor plan. With the X17z we towed it with my wife’s 2011 Grand Cherokee V6 tow package. With no issues at all. This pst March I upgraded my vehicle to a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic V6 which towed the X17z with no issue and when I picked up the X23b (400 mile trip) it also towed very well. Here is the Issue the Ram has some issues and the dealer might be taking back and I can get another vehicle, before I choose another ram the wife was thinking about the Durango instead because our 2 girls (4 &6) plus a 60lb dog will have more space during longer trips. How would the Durango compare in towing V6 or V8. Trying to stick with a Mopar if not maybe an Aramda?
Fiori1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:53 AM   #2

What are your future plans? You upgraded from a 2018 to a slightly larger 2019 trailer - that's fast. Any chance that might happen again? (Do you suffer from 2-footitis like most of us here?)

I towed our X19H with a Chevy Traverse for several years before buying a full size PU. The Durango has similar towing specs. The Chev towed the smaller (slightly - very similar weight specs) 19 well, but I traded early because the towing was causing some expensive maintenance issues with the Chevy.

Check the payload capacity on the Durango, and consider carefully how you will use it. Payload is fairly generous on most 3-row SUV's (after all they should be able to hold 7-8 adult passengers). However, remember that the max tow rating on the SUV is with the driver ONLY in the vehicle. As you add two (growing) children to the mix and a dog, you are quickly eating into the payload and reducing your towing capability. If you plan to keep the SUV for 10 years then those kids will be 14 and 16 (much heavier) and the trailer will probably be bigger too.

Buying an appropriately sized PU will future proof your setup. I find the back seat in my Nissan CC to be much larger than in the Chevy - kids really like it, and there is more versatility in the bed arrangement. I do still have to keep a close eye on the payload (always the limiting factor when towing RVs), but my towing capacity is about 4,000# higher now, so I have a lot more options.

If you decide to go for the Armada, I can vouch for a bulletproof drivetrain. It is the same engine/tranny (completely US made) as the Titan, and it tows very well.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #3

I would look at the tow capacity of the Durango. Last time I looked, I recall the V8 model had a tow capacity of 7000 maybe more pounds. My Dakota tows our 23B nicely, but I have to admit, I would like a bigger truck. We have towed in the mountains and in extreme heat, and I do keep an eye on the temp gauges, and have turned off the AC while pulling long grades to keep the engine cool.

Also remember kids grow, which means they weigh more, and the more space you give them the more "stuff" they will bring along, which will affect your Payload.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:29 PM   #4

First of all get something with a large v-8 for sure that way next RV up grade you will be set
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:25 AM   #5

Our 23B weighed 5500# and had 600# on the hitch. We towed with a good sized SUV and we were close to the Rear GAWR with just the Bride and myself. With a 2nd couple in the back seat I expect we were a touch overloaded.
Just a point of data for ya. Loved the 23B!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:58 PM   #6

Redhorse1- what were you towing the X23B with? I spent months trying to crunch numbers trying to find the best possible tow rig for my family’s current situation. What shocked me was my Ram 1500 has the same rear axle weight rating as the Durango does 3900lbs and the Durango has a higher gvwr.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiori1010 View Post
Redhorse1- what were you towing the X23B with? I spent months trying to crunch numbers trying to find the best possible tow rig for my family’s current situation. What shocked me was my Ram 1500 has the same rear axle weight rating as the Durango does 3900lbs and the Durango has a higher gvwr.
Not really that surprising. 3 row SUV's need sufficient payload capacity to carry 7 or 8 adult passengers. Think about it; you would be surprised how much that is. Most half-ton pickups have lower payload than my Traverse had UNLESS they have a max-tow/payload type package ( a very small percentage of PU trucks coming off the line). HOWEVER, the payload in an SUV is intended to be primarily inside the vehicle and evenly distributed, whereas a PU is intended to tow or carry most of the payload over the rear axle.

It's not only the numbers but also the design objectives of the vehicle in question.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiori1010 View Post
It’s in my sig but an ‘03 Ford Expedition.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:20 AM   #9

Sorry I’m on a mobile device I cannot are anyone signature. It was hard for me to trade in the Ram for the Durango because the Ram looks so natural towing a trailer. But for my current family situation the Durango is a much better choice and the weight specs are the same and in some cases better than the Ram. The biggest difference is the wheelbase I will be upgrading my hitch setup this spring season too.