Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2017, 07:17 PM   #21

I looked up your camper and it's almost a twin to the x17z. Looks like it is even heavier on the tongue. Putting the spare and other heavy stuff in the tv is something that I will really have to take a close look at.

Hearing about your experiences is reassuring for me and the hope that I will also have a easy tow.

Thanks for sharing

Bud
JaycoBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:15 AM   #22

Yep pretty much the same camper. These 17's are extremely hard to find used and in good condition. I looked for about two years and got so frustrated hat I bought a popup. Six months later, a 17C popped up and we jumped on it.
shawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawkins View Post
Yep pretty much the same camper. These 17's are extremely hard to find used and in good condition. I looked for about two years and got so frustrated hat I bought a popup. Six months later, a 17C popped up and we jumped on it.
We lucked into our 2013 X17Z last September. We were looking around the local dealer and saw it. After going home to discuss, my wife and I decided that was probably the camper for us. When we went back the next weekend, it had a sold sign on it. Three days later, the salesman called us because the financing on that sale had fallen through! We snatched it up as soon as we could get to the dealer. Sadly, because we'd nearly lost the sale, and the salesman knew we really wanted the camper, we couldn't negotiate the price down much. I feel like we got a decent deal anyhow.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:42 AM   #24

Yeah, I think I would prefer he 17Z because the U-shaped dinette is a bit of a hassle when climbing out of the bed. And the table for the dinette really doesn't leave much clearance to be comfortable sitting at the table. I under stand the table has to be like that to make a bed, but if I could shave about 12" off of it all the way around, things would be better. Petty things really and I feel quite fortunate to have found a 2010 in exceptional condition.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Yeah, I think I would prefer he 17Z because the U-shaped dinette is a bit of a hassle when climbing out of the bed. And the table for the dinette really doesn't leave much clearance to be comfortable sitting at the table. I under stand the table has to be like that to make a bed, but if I could shave about 12" off of it all the way around, things would be better. Petty things really and I feel quite fortunate to have found a 2010 in exceptional condition.
When we were looking for a camper we *hated* the u-shaped dinettes. My main issue is what you mentioned -- having to climb over a bed to get out of the bunk in the middle of the night. I still feel that way, but I now totally understand the allure of the u-shape -- that it turns into a much bigger bed. My 13-year-old son is on the small side and can still sleep in our 17z dinette, but he won't for much longer. Since he and his 15-year-old sister refuse to share a bunk (it's a queen-sized bed, for cryin' out loud!) that means someone has to sleep on the dinette. My son will often bring his tent and sleep outside, which largely solves the problem.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #26

I have a 17C and ditched the dinette table for this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Adams-Ma...3700/301672258

Of course, if you need the dinette as a bed, you'd have to make other arrangements.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:52 PM   #27

We found this table to be handy, multiple ways to use it.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...++t+camp+table

Best,
Steve
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:07 PM   #28

Very interesting. Both versatile, light weight, only 12 lbs.
Looks like folds pretty small too.

Thanks for the heads up

Bud:

campfire:
Old 11-03-2017, 07:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Yes, I hate the U-shaped dinette on my 17C. The only thing that stupid heavy table is good for is making an extra bed for when I camp with "the guys".

The 17C does, however, have a better shower in my opinion. The little tub is great for bathing the occasional grandchild.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #30

Yep, my wife really likes the show because she can sit on the little seat and shave her legs. It's the little things I guess......
Old 11-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #31

Well, all the talk about the 17C and the annoying U-shaped dinnette got me looking on Craigslist in my area. Came across a 2013 X17A and really liked it. So I bought it. Fairly similar to the X17Z, but the shower is not in the corner.
Luckily, my 17C was immaculate. Put it on Craigslist on Friday and sold it 48 hours later. The 17A has a color-matching awning (as opposed to my white one), has significantly lighter tongue weight, 3 years newer, outside shower, LED lights inside and under awning, three TV locations (2 inside, 1 outside), and outside speakers. Little to no wear and tear just like the 17C I sold.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #32

Here she is....
Attached Thumbnails
Camper 1.jpg   Camper 2.jpg  
Old 11-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #33

Congratulations, sounds great!
Hope you have many wonderful times in your new camper
Old 11-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #34

Thanks Jaycobud! that is certainly the plan!
Old 03-11-2019, 07:25 PM   #35

Live in Sierras, towED w 17 Highlander

I'm not self promoting but I've created a playlist on YouTube chronicling my trips with a Jayco 175RD, 2900 lbs towed by my 2017 Highlander. Just last Saturday I traded my Highlander in and flipped to a 2017 F150. While I experienced NO problems w the Highlander, even more, it was a easy tow... no sway or weight distribution. hitch, the worry about the CVT TRANSMISSION became a worry. Before I ruined or burned out the brakes or trans we traded in with 17,000 mile. I feel bad. My YouTube "CALROOTPEG & Wife" channel showed 7 trips, all mountains, and until Saturday I hadn't anything but Praise. Check it out. I'm no professional video expert so the films are .... well... amateur BUT it definitely will show you how a Highlander tows. Calrootpeg... You'll see from US picking out the 175RD to installing a tow hitch to a Toyota from beginning to end until last Saturdays. Watch the tachometer, the high RPMs and that CVT transmission were challenged but the tow was always stable and smooth. It had the power but I owed to much to gamble so before anything MIGHT (maybe might not) happen, I flipped to a truck 17 F150. Hope those videos help you decide, i had nothing but praise, again, until last Saturday. CALROOTPEG. Check out TRAVELING ROBERT on Youtube also, he pulled cross country many times with a KIA. He does very edited videos, a good source of Trailer pulling info. Good luck, not trying to dampen your spirit but he switched to a Colorado truck. Youtube= CALROOTEG & WIFE
Calrootpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:14 PM   #36

Good Afternoon- Your post is older and I hope you are still around. We have a x17z and towing with a 2019 Highlander. What did you use for a Tow Ball? With a Rise or Drop?

Thanks for any info from your experience.
MoreSmoresPlease is offline   Reply With Quote