Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #11

I bought a cover for my X17Z and I appreciate the hints, especially the tennis ball idea!

camping nights this year 20
Nevadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #12

Tennis balls worked for me last year. The cover kept the trailer dry and clean. I don't worry about surprise leaks that will go unnoticed for weeks.

3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #13

I cut the end off of 2 2-liter soda bottles and place it over the ends of the bumper to keep it from wearing out my cover on my 23b. I also cut the ends off of smaller water bottles and place them over the knobs that hold the bunk ends up.
vandy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #14

Just some food for thought...

That $200 might last you 2 years. Its kind of a pain to take off, fold up and store, then un pack and put on every trip. Its not going to do anything to help with and potential snow load. It can still get dirty (though significantly less) through the cover from rain draining through and bringing dirt and debris from leaves, etc.

My experience has been that people use the covers at first, then it becomes a hassle. They get home in the rain and don't put it back on. Or, they leave in the rain and it never dries out completely and they don't feel like messing with a dirty moldy cover.

If you bought a steel carport, it will last a lot longer, be easier to use (just park underneath) and less dependent upon good weather or helping hands everytime you come or go. The roof will help keep snow off your AV unit. You can go into your camper with the carport and check on things, pack, unpack, etc.

Its more expensive, but lasts way longer and is much easier to use.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #15

Steel Carport

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Just some food for thought...

If you bought a steel carport, it will last a lot longer, be easier to use (just park underneath) and less dependent upon good weather or helping hands everytime you come or go. The roof will help keep snow off your AV unit. You can go into your camper with the carport and check on things, pack, unpack, etc.

Its more expensive, but lasts way longer and is much easier to use.
Yes, a steel carport is about 2-3 times the cost of an Adco cover ($600 vs. $200!). Also, many locations don't allow them. So, unless you have a large lot in a non-HOA location, you probably cannot use them. Again, just some other "food for thought."

docmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #16

It certainly will last a LOT longer than that Adco cover though. Just another tool in his belt to consider...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #17

I covered a pop-up for two years until a bad windstorm ripped it to shreds. Never covered another trailer since. The only negative I have found is because of where I park it. The sun hits the front and back panels. On our old Kiwi 17a, after about 8 years it started to oxidize and look dull on the front and back beds. I had to use a polishing machine and white polishing compound to restore the luster.