Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #1

Trailer tires, amount of free spin

I changed my tires today and lubed the bearings. I noticed when spinning the tires it was not a "free" spin on either tire. I could hear some rubbing as I spun the tires and I assume this is the brakes. It was a regular, rhythmic type of rub. It seems I've noticed this when doing this before but since it is fresh in my mind I thought I'd ask those with more experience if this is normal or not. I noticed that the passenger side spun slightly more free than the driver's side as well. The grease coming out of the bearings looked like new so if there is a problem I don't think it is the bearing. I had actually planned to tow the trailer to test it since I put 14" tires on, taking 13" off, but had a loose connection that will mean a return trip tomorrow for the test. I have a laser temp reader and will check not only the tires but the hub as well.

Just curious about how freely the tires on my 2011 X17C should spin.
Trout34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #2

The rubbing you're hearing and feeling is normal. It's the electromagnet contacting the brake drum. It's the electrical contact that receives the feed from your brake controller.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #3

Good to hear

Thank you for the peace of mind. I'm curious, does this release when connected to the tow vehicle/brake controller? Almost seems like it would have to or something would get hot.

Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
The rubbing you're hearing and feeling is normal. It's the electromagnet contacting the brake drum. It's the electrical contact that receives the feed from your brake controller.
On my Dexter axles the power for the electromagnet comes in on wires not a slip ring or a rubbing contact. On a trailer or automobile with drum or disc brakes its not uncommon for the shoes or pads to drag slightly at some point in the rotation of the wheel. This is normal.

As OnTheGo stated the electromagnet could also be dragging a bit as well and that's nothing to worry about either. It will REALLY drag when the trailer brakes are applied.

If you have a manual from Dexter that came with your trailer, read through it or visit their website. Lots of good info and diagrams on how all kinds of trailer brakes and suspension systems work.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout34 View Post
snip.....Just curious about how freely the tires on my 2011 X17C should spin.
As mentioned, what you are describing sounds like a normal condition..., but if you haven't had your brakes inspected/adjusted (drums pulled) since 2011, it may be a good time to do so before the camping season gets into full swing.

Having the brakes inspected/adjusted and the bearings hand packed every two years or every 10,000 miles (which ever comes first) will insure optimum service life.

Reference threads:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...pection&page=2

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ake+inspection

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #6

Good information

Thanks to all for the information. I can't seem to find the Dexter materials with my camper documentation but I will check online. I will also look into the service of the brakes and bearings. I'm overdue based on mileage.

Thanks to those willing to bring their experience for the benefits of those of us with less.