Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2017, 09:08 PM   #1

TV for X23B

Hello- considering purchasing a X23B hybrid. Will a 2016 Dodge Durango with 3.6L V6 and 6200lb tow capacity handle the weight and length of this model HTT? Or would you recommend something shorter for the wheelbase of the Durango.

Thanks
Sharx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:39 PM   #2

We pulled our 23B (now gone) with a Ford Expedition 8 cyl (5.4). It's tow cap was about 9k lbs IIRC and it was "adequate", but just. IMHO, it's more about the weight than length. Our 23B scaled around 4400# with 600# on the tongue. I'd suggest a trip to the scales to get actual axle weights. Comparing the weights to the GAWRs will give you an idea of what TT weight you can expect to tow comfortably.
As a side note, we loved our 23B and there are several owners that speak highly of theirs that post frequently.

The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:40 PM   #3

I tow our 23B with a 2007 Dodge Dakota. We have the tow package with a 4.7L V8. It does a nice job pulling it. With our tv configuration we have a 5500 lbs tow capacity.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #4

We tow a 2008 23B with a 2007 Honda Ridgeline V6, with a tow cap of 5K. We pack pretty darn light, and it's not horrible, but under powered. The Ridgeline has a wide stance, so it's not bad as far as stability, but you definitely need to stay alert to what is passing you. if you do altitude or decent inclines, you'll blush when bicyclists pass you on the hills!!
jschimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #5

I would check your payload on the Durango, but i think you will be OK. like others said the v6 will have a tough time on longer hills etc etc, but you should be able to manage. If nothing else ask if you can hook up and pull the trailer around for 40 min and get a feel for it. The worst they say is no.
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:44 PM   #6

We pull our X23B with our 2013 V6 Durango Citadel. With a properly setup WDH, it pulls fantastically.

You have more speeds on your transmission, so you shouldn't have the issue that we have of riding in 3rd gear at 3000RPMs to drive 60-65 MPH.
Retired - 1996 Coleman Cheyenne Pop-Up
RIP Chloe, a very good dog - 9/15/01-12/02/17

johnsoax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #7

Dodge Durango & Jayco 23b

Hello
You should be OK. I have a 2014 Dodge Durango 3.6L V6, 8-speed transmission without towing package pulling our 2003 Jayco Kiwi 23b. We have over 6,000 miles pulling central USA and western mountains. It is far from a power rig but we do OK. It pulls perfectly stable and as long as we do not push the speed it does not seam to stress the hardware. Wife will often drive for long stretches and "enjoys" the drive (although she still does not seem to understand that the trailer cuts the corner on tight turns!).
I have had our rigged CAT weighed and have the following numbers. Kiwi fully loaded (food, bedding, clothes, battery, TV, propane, ect....) weighed in at 4,700 lbs.
Hitch loading at 540 lbs. I do not pull with water in tanks other than a small amount in the black tank to slosh around. The Jayco label has factory dry weight at 3,940 lbs.
I pull at 62 to 65 MPH when road is good, mostly flat, and headwinds are lite. Durango pulls in 6 & 7th gear on flats in low wind at 13 MPG. With an Oklahoma tail wind the Durango will run in 8th gear at 14 MPG. Mountain driving often is in the 55 to 60 MPH range with mileage down to 11 MPG. We stay in the slow lane and relax.
I use a Reese 800lb Dual-Cam Sway Control WDH to keep the Kiwi polite. Once I tuned the Reese system in, it drives fantastic. Early efforts (pre-tuned) were a bit scary in cross winds and when semis passed by. The wife would not drive it until I got the cam loading just right.
I bought a non tow package Durango. Dealer added factory hitch and wiring (two visits to get electric brakes to operate). Transmission is stock cooling and gains at most 10 degrees temp on long hills pulling the Kiwi. On flats the transmission, oil and water temps are all the same as when not pulling the camper. By my experience I have no need for towing modifications or the factory tow package.
Do note the the new Jayco X23b's are 6" wider and 8" taller than my 2003 23b Kiwi. This presents about 5-1/2 square foot more front face to the wind. I would have to think this would challenge the Durango a bit more than my rig. Oklahoma head winds do make a difference to us so your experience with a taller trailer could be noticeable.
We moved up from pulling pop-ups for 30 years. The Durango/Kiwi combo is good for us. I am sure the V8 hemi would pull better on hills but I can't help but enjoy the 26 MPG the V6 gives me when I am not pulling the hybrid.
Hope this helps
Bert
Neandertalman is offline   Reply With Quote