Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #1

TV Mounting for X18D - also leveling boards

We decided this is the year to upgrade from our 1991 Jayco PUP to a hybrid, and after much research, lurking around this forum, and negotiating. We took the leap and purchased a 2012 X18D! I can't wait to go pick it up!

Anyway I am wondering if anyone out there has already gone through the process of installing a TV in the X18D.

Looking for tips on mounting brackets, what size TV works, anyone add a DVD player, etc...

I was also thinking about some of the places we camp, we are often in a group site with several other campers and we don't always have the most level ground to set up on. I was planning on cutting a few 2X6 treated boards that I can stack... has anyone rigged up a good place to store boards that will for sure get muddy and dirty?

PS TTChamp is for a game we play.... had no idea it had a completely different meaning on this forum.
:confused:
TTChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #2

I keep my leveling board in the outside storage around the other side from the door. That's also where I keep the sewer hose and fittings, etc. Anything that gets really messy goes in that side, toys, carpet, and chairs go in the other side. Seems to work ok for me.

Haven't tried anything with a TV. The shelf would be ok if you secured it, otherwise I though maybe under one of the cabinets by the radio.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #3

and congrats! We sold a '94 jayco PUP last summer and got the X18D. LOVE it!!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTChamp View Post
We decided this is the year to upgrade from our 1991 Jayco PUP to a hybrid, and after much research, lurking around this forum, and negotiating. We took the leap and purchased a 2012 X18D! I can't wait to go pick it up!
Yay! Congratulations!! We got ours in Sept of last year. We have three boys ages 6, 8 & 9 and LOVE IT!

Quote:
Anyway I am wondering if anyone out there has already gone through the process of installing a TV in the X18D.
We don't take any electronics other than my iPhone for communicating to really, really get back to nature and to be creative with our time. When we started, I took my iPad and the boys would watch a show at night. Now they put on headlights and play tag or look for critters or sit around the fire and pour their hearts out to us. We liked it so much that we got rid of our satellite dish at home. Just sayin'...

Quote:
I was also thinking about some of the places we camp, we are often in a group site with several other campers and we don't always have the most level ground to set up on. I was planning on cutting a few 2X6 treated boards that I can stack... has anyone rigged up a good place to store boards that will for sure get muddy and dirty?
We use those Lego-type stacker things (can you tell I'm not in charge of the exterior?) We were so unbalanced last weekend that we had to put the Lego stacks on top of a rock because we used them all and still weren't level! They come in their own bag and wash and dry easily. Highly recommended with some wood (no knots) for extra help. We learned that if our piece of wood had knots, it would eventually split there due to the pressure. Happened last weekend.

Happy camping! We love our X18D so much. It's the perfect fit for us. Easy to pull, convenient and lots of room for stuff and kids and even the dog! Your family will make so many great memories in it.

Warmly, Kim in Phx

2008 CHEV SILVERADO Crew Cab LT
2012 Jayco X18D
PhxKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #5

Check out the mods section someone made a wire basket that fit under the RV for them...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #6

I installed a 19" Visio using a Cheetah mount that I attached to the board between microwave and TV stand areas. I easily removed the microwave and drill two holes and used washers with bolts and nuts. Its very sturdy.

Points of interests 1. Wanted TV with Speakers in front. A/C is loud you need good speakers. 2. TV mount is long enought to be centered in the space provided or a can swivel out to point at Front beds.3. I use velcro and attach it to the Cable/sat wallplate during transportation to keep it from swinging.

Up next. Bought the grill mount without the grill...will mount a board to it and then a TV mount so I can attach it outside for fall football.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 158.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	5260
gcatrambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #7

We have never even considered bringing a TV camping. We might bring a laptop and watch a movie, but that is rare!!
mikebuyscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #8

Hi...thank you!, your post inspired me! I did the same...it's well fixed, ans now i know how to fix it while travelling!
Boxto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:48 AM   #9

Re: leveling boards - we bought a horse stall mat and cut it to fit under the tires. They don't move when you drive on to them, they stack well, and no worries about splitting. Love them.
bblbethie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #10

Ours came with the TV installed on a swivel base above the fridge. Wife always has the girls bring movies in case it rains. Think we watched one movie in six months. Getting a set of the Legos for the next trip. Guess we've just been luck with usually level camp sites (cement slabs at Jetty Park, Canaveral FL). Love our X18D!
SteveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #11

I have a 22" TV with built-in DVD player that I mounted as a 2nd TV (in the bedroom). The nice things about the built-in DVD player: it doesn't take up any additional space, and if I can't get a TV signal, I can always watch a DVD. Does your X18D have a TV antennae? If not, you'll need one of those, too. I'd stay away from those flat ones that "mount anywhere". Their range is very limited. I have a power-boost HDTV rabbit ears that I use at home (too cheap to by cable TV), and use to take camping, too. Its range is better than the flat panel, but not nearly as good as the one on my new Eagle.

I also use the Lego-style blocks for leveling, tongue jack, and stabilizers. You can pick up a 10-pack with storage bag for about $29 when Camping World has them on sale. Very handy, and much lighter in weight than wood!