Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2015, 09:06 AM   #41

We are new to this, our X18D is our first camper.

Our family is loving it and I know we made the right decision when this weekend we were watching a program on mega luxury RVs and my 7 year old daughter said she wouldn't like them as when she's camping she wants to feel like she's camping!
robp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by robp View Post
We are new to this, our X18D is our first camper.

Our family is loving it and I know we made the right decision when this weekend we were watching a program on mega luxury RVs and my 7 year old daughter said she wouldn't like them as when she's camping she wants to feel like she's camping!
And that's just the way Tunce feels and I bought this TT just for her and she's loving it!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-02-2015, 07:34 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
And that's just the way Tunce feels and I bought this TT just for her and she's loving it!
That's a good lookin pooch! Looks like she's enjoying the view!
Old 06-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12VOLTMAN View Post
That's a good lookin pooch! Looks like she's enjoying the view!
That tent end is her den and when I work on it at home she gets up there.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #45
Site Team

Honestly you get much more air circulation with the sides unzipped than you would with a hard sided camper. To me that makes it worth it.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake plissken View Post
honestly you get much more air circulation with the sides unzipped than you would with a hard sided camper. To me that makes it worth it.
x100%
Old 06-02-2015, 09:59 PM   #47

You won't go wrong with whatever you buy, try to buy used the first time, just do your homework and try to buy a unit that has been stored inside and well mantained.
After you have used it and find the items you like, dislike then sell and upgrade. If done right you won't take a bath when you go to sell, jmo
Old 06-03-2015, 03:50 AM   #48

We bought a new X18D last year. Absolutely loved the 3 queen sized beds in it. We had two issues. First one being noise, we could hear everything at night and it drove us crazy some nights. Flip side to that, on a couple of occasions we layed in bed staring through the open screens out to the sky and stars on incredibly peaceful quiet nights. Depends where you camp I guess. The other problem was the bear issue. We camped in black bear country twice and even though we followed all the parks rules for bears, my wife could not sleep well at night because we could hear every little critter outside rustling around. The X18D was not big enough to "turtle" with the 4 of us.
A hybrid is a great trailer no matter the model. We love ours and had some great experiences. However I, like a lot of hybrid or popup owners, ended up with 2ftitis and just pulled the trigger on a new 267bhsw that I pick up tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:54 AM   #49

A little late to this thread, but I love my X17Z. Only thing I wish is that it was longer, but for that I'd need a bigger TV. Great for my mom, myself and the two dogs. Crowded with my bf and his two kids but still functional. Got tired of the constant up and down with the pup. Set up is really easy, no lugging of coolers, has a good size bathroom. Still love the sound of the rain on the canvas!
Tokensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:33 AM   #50

We had a 2007 19H and really liked it, but did have problems with leaking. We bought it used and I felt like I really looked it over closely before purchase, but missed some major problems. It was our first camper. After owning it about a year the steps actually pulled out of the floor one day when I was getting out. I tore into it we found serious rot in the floor by the door, rear bunk and bathroom area. The front bunk door also leaked and I had to replace some wood up there. I had a guy replace the floor and weld in extra supports but he did a terrible job and the floor was much lumpier and softer than before he did it. It was structurally sound but didn't inspire confidence. We have a family of 5 so it was pretty tight camping in it anyway so we traded it a few weeks ago for a 2015 32bhds. Took a real beating on trade in value but have to chalk it up to a life lesson.

Pros of the Hybrid - We liked the outdoor/tent camping feel of the bunk ends. Very nice to have a cool breeze flowing through the camper. The hybrid design makes the trailer MUCH easier to tow, park, back in, etc. I have a big truck so weight isn't really a problem, but the new travel trailer is HUGE. As others have mentioned - we camp to be OUTSIDE, so smaller interior wasn't a big deal - but on those rainy weekends the bigger camper is nice.

Cons of the hybrid - Leaks. Ours was fine while camping in the rain, but it leaked around the bed doors anytime we drove it in the rain. A lot. I checked seals and caulking several times but couldn't get a grip on that problem.
My wife also wasn't crazy about how easy it was to pull the canvas away from the frame at the edges. On our last trip with it, our 3 year old had snuggled against the far end of the bunk and pushed the snaps and Velcro apart while sleeping. We found her with one leg hanging out! That was the end of that camper for my wife.
2004 Ford Super Duty f-250, Bulletproofed 6.0 Powerstroke diesel with SCT chip
Husker Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #51

We love our 2012 X17Z and would definitely go the hybrid route again. The amount of inside space you get, along with a light towing weight is really the big seller for us. Also, we are in the group that truly enjoys that we are "camping", nothing beats the fresh air and the early morning outdoor sounds of nature.

We have camped in true downpours many times and have never had a leak issue, and as to bed making, we keep it simple and use queen size sleeping bags with blankets. It's simple, efficient, and again, more a camping experience.

We have had some noise issues, but in all but one case over the past three years it has been manageable by just running the fan to create white noise.
gaylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker Red View Post
My wife also wasn't crazy about how easy it was to pull the canvas away from the frame at the edges. On our last trip with it, our 3 year old had snuggled against the far end of the bunk and pushed the snaps and Velcro apart while sleeping. We found her with one leg hanging out! That was the end of that camper for my wife.
With a new enough HTT, this shouldn't be an issue. Our 2011 doesn't use snaps & velcro; instead it's basically clamped between a metal trim piece that's screwed down. Not sure when Jayco switch over to the improved attachment method. But certainly something for the OP to look for if he's looking at used HTTs.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #53

Hi all! We were really interested in the 19h but then someone brought to my wife's attention that someone or something could nab the kiddos out of the tent end in a matter of seconds possibly without even being heard. So with that said I think we are leaning towards the x213 now..going to look this weekend.
Irks73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:31 PM   #54

Breaking a glass window is faster and easier than cutting a tent end. It is heavy canvas, the undersides are secured to the doors now. There is an emergency exit zipper on the main window. We hear it open ever time we make the beds, yes I stand outside when we make the beds initially. The zippers are out of sight.

When at the dealer, look at them both and think about how you would steal a kid, without making noise and them not screaming. I worry more about big storms as I have been through way to many of them, then a child being snatched.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:32 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irks73 View Post
Hi all! We were really interested in the 19h but then someone brought to my wife's attention that someone or something could nab the kiddos out of the tent end in a matter of seconds possibly without even being heard. So with that said I think we are leaning towards the x213 now..going to look this weekend.
Really? I'd suggest you forget the TT altogether and stay at home behind locked doors.

Seriously, it is far, far likelier that your kids would be killed in a car crash rather than abducted...
Number of children age 2 – 14 killed in car accidents, as passengers: 1300
Number of children killed each year by their family members and acquaintances: About 1000
Number of children abducted in “stereotypical kidnappings” (kidnapped by a stranger for ransom or for sexual purposes and/or transported away) in 1999, the most recent year for which we have statistics: 115.
Number of children killed by their abductor: About 50.
Crime Statistics | Free Range Kids

Kids are safer today than we were. I urge you to spend some time on the site above.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #56
Site Team

It's like the statistics of winning the Powerball are not as likely as you are to be struck by lightning while drowning.

Family camping is not as dangerous as you think.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #57

I hear ya! That's what I told the wife. I'm not worried about it I like the hybrids so I guess I will have visit the dealer and see which one is best for our needs. FYI we've both been tent camping for the last 15-20 years, that's why I like the idea of the hybrids.
Irks73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irks73 View Post
I'm betting that came from someone who either never camps or has never once tented or used a pop-up camper. We've been sleeping under canvas for 31 years. During that time we had a tent, a pop-up, and 2 hybrids. Never once a problem and never have I heard of anyone taking a kid from a trailer.

And you've been tent camping? Not sure why a hybrid is different then...

The reality is that if your wife is uncomfortable then you have to do what you are both comfortable with.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #59
Site Team

If Momma's not happy......
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
Really? I'd suggest you forget the TT altogether and stay at home behind locked doors.

Seriously, it is far, far likelier that your kids would be killed in a car crash rather than abducted...
Number of children age 2 – 14 killed in car accidents, as passengers: 1300
Number of children killed each year by their family members and acquaintances: About 1000
Number of children abducted in “stereotypical kidnappings” (kidnapped by a stranger for ransom or for sexual purposes and/or transported away) in 1999, the most recent year for which we have statistics: 115.
Number of children killed by their abductor: About 50.
Crime Statistics | Free Range Kids

Kids are safer today than we were. I urge you to spend some time on the site above.
Insert the word "flying" here!
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote