Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #1

Want Hybrid,but hesitant

Ive been in the market for several months for a TT. Whatever I get it will be a Jayco. I had pretty much decided on several models, until I started looking at the Hybirds. I really like the layout of the 23B and 23F. However, as someone who has had several pop ups in the past, I really want to move on from the pop up style beds. But there are some nice features in these Hybrids that really appeal to me, such as the floor space, trailer is liteweight, much shorter than regular trailer I want, and so forth. For those that have Hybrids, do you like them, would you do it again. My biggest concern is the durability of the canvas and potential for leaks as it ages, and threads/stitching becoming weak. Also have heard there has been issues in the past with water leaks into the walls around the beds. What can you tell me to convince me its the right or wrong way to go?
twodogs603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:35 PM   #2

We skipped it when we upgraded from a PUP. Had a few people tell us PUP's are a gateway camper and you start there then get a Hybrid the a TT and so on lol. So after a lot of looking we skipped right into the TT. I will say while out camping 2 weeks ago we were amazed to see 8 different families in the campground with the Jayfeather hybrids. Talked to 2 of them and they like theirs a lot. So I guess it depends on what you are looking for and more importantly what you are towing with.
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #3

We live in Western WA (think lots of rainy days...) and have a 2012 X20e that we purchased new almost three years ago. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, here's why:

1- more living space in a compact size
2- manageable towing weight
3- slideout makes a big difference

Our canvas has help up exceedingly well although we do turtle when the Jayco doubles as our mini ski lodge. I've had no leaks in either bunk or any other issues with the camper at all.
RollTideinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #4

Our first camper was a used Starcraft hybrid. My wife researched campers and that is what she wanted. After about a year she decided she had made a mistake. Not only did she not like the hybrid but it had issues. We sold it at a loss. She wanted a different camper and the two things she wanted was a bigger fridge and a permanent bed. She was tired of the set up time on the hybrid. So we bought a new Jay Flight Swift 238rb. She loves it. The downside is that we can only tow it with our truck where as she could tow the hybrid with our Wrangler Unlimited.

That being said, there are many people that buy hybrids and love them. Everybody has their own tastes. Some people like driving compact cars and some want a lifted 4x4 truck. All that matters is what makes you happy.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:53 PM   #5

I really like mine and it's a 2010 EXP 21M with a large slide. I bought it used because the new ones didn't have the room or layout we wanted. Purchased just under 2 years ago for 15k out the door and all hooked up. It has His & Hers closets, good counter space, easy TV viewing, 4 ceiling speakers, good storege space, rear bumper for bicycles,outside shower/electric/grill bracket within easy reach for prep and cooking, no table legs to get in the way it's a wall support.
Canvas is in very good condition after 4 years and stitching is in very good shape as well. Hybrids give you plenty of light and Fresh air and the 21M has more floor space that comes in handy when you have extra guests and on rainy days. The slide extends 3' so the trailer is 11' wide. When it's closed you can still use the bathroom, table and kitchen when your on the road. I pull it with a VW Touareg TDI.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:58 PM   #6

The kitchen wall, we took out the stove and moved the micro wave down in its place and use a butane stove that we can just move outside whenever we want to. Real easy for prep work and washing dishes from left to right. We never need the table for prep and it seats 4 people and no clutter.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:08 AM   #7

We moved from a used pop up to a new hybrid. The tent ends are much easier to set up on a hybrid than a pop up. It takes a few effortless minutes to set up the beds. We went with Jayco over Forest River because we believed based on our own research that the Jayco has better seals and design.

When we are beach camping, we can hear the waves. For us, we like this.

We have not experienced any leaks. We like the space in our floor plan. We like to think of it as our humble cabin on wheels with the right mix of amenities for camping.

We also sought to control our fuel costs. We bought our TV and HTT within a week of each other. We believed the combination would let us spend more at our destination than at the pumps along the way.

When we get older, we will likely skip to a Greyhawk 31FS.
2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:19 AM   #8

I got a hybrid because I didn't want to camp in a solid metal or fiberglass box. I like the idea of the tent ends. Also they are pretty light weight and easy to tow.
Set up time in a hybrid is very fast once you get your rhythm. Unlike a pop up, you don't have to crank the roof up, pull out the beds, etc, you just unlock the beds and drop them down, then move the mattress into place.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:31 AM   #9
Site Team

We love our 19H. I can set it up or tear it down by myself in 30 minutes or less once I'm level. We can keep everything in it year round (unlike a pup) and have had no issues with the canvas. We did have some of the screws tear the plastic used to hold the canvas onto the camper but I've been able to fix that myself.

Now the honest answer is if I had a TV that could tow a full camper with a master bedroom I would probably upgrade in a few years. I just don't like having to convert something (table, couch, etc.) into a bed to go to sleep at night. With the 19H we have 2 beds that are there all the time and if we had company we could convert and add sleeping space but by default everything stays together.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:31 AM   #10

I was always impressed by how much more open space you gain with the Hybrid with the Tent Beds folding down from the outside. You do not have to walk around any beds like in the TT have,

The early HYBRIDS were leak prone with the large drop down doors that could easily slightly warp and allow water to come thru the seals. I think all of that has been over come as you hardly ever read about about HYBRID leaks now on the forums.

We are avid tent campers from the 50s and have been running the roads the last 5-6 years with our OFF-ROAD POPUP camper. Always thought we would end up in a HYBRID and did do some looking. Our present setup gives us all the modern appliances we want, great gas mileage going down the roads, will go anywhere our 4WD truck will pull it, minimal expenses and fees, and minimal maintenance. What more could you ask for...

Being in our mid 70s now we will just probably stay with what we got now...

Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:36 AM   #11

Like many others we started with a pop-up. After several years and experiences of setting up and taking down in the rain we bought a new Jay Feather X23B. We live in Kentucky. We have been to Alaska, twice to California and back in this camper. No leaks no problems. Love it. We feel like we get a lot more living space while towing a shorter lighter trailer. In bad weather we just turtle in. Sort of the best of both worlds.
Ed Brodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:42 AM   #12

There is a lot of personal choices out there. We have a 2012 23B, absolutely love it. There are only three of us, plus the dog. Plenty of room. We did make a number of modifications so it fits our needs and requirements. I think the beds are very comfortable, the DW sleeps over the hinge area, and never complains about it, and I have asked if she can feel it and she says “no”. We love the amount of space the 23B has, especially when setup.

As for leaks, we have had three. One I think any TT could have. We were caught in extreme driving rain, while driving through many miles of road construction, would have loved to pull off as I could not see to drive safely, but there was nowhere to go. The leak was where the pipes go through the floor into the FW tank, the driving rain made its way between the belly FW tank and the floor, and up the hole. That area now sealed up nice. The other two leaks were from closing the bunk hatches with a piece of canvas skirting stuck in the door seal. Only fixed for that issue is by making sure we watch the canvas as we close the bunks. I have had zero issues with the canvas.

All the campers have issues with Condensation. In the HTT, we unzip one side window a few inches and leave the roof vent open a ˝” (we have a Max Air vent). Since doing that we have no condensation issues at all.

As for making the beds, you are us to that in a PU. We work as a team setting up. From the outside I unzip the window screen and canvas curtain, and help make the bed from the outside, while the DW is inside making it. It works very well, and very quickly.

One of the features I like about the 23B, is the ability to “turtle”. That is where you can sleep in the unit without opening the bunk ends. As a family of three, it works quite well. We have done it a few times, such in Yellowstone, Walmart parking lots, even rolled into a CG at 1 am (brother had a mechanical issue on the way to camp, I helped get it fixed, so we were REALLY late)

You mentioned you have looked at several campers. My recommendation is go to the dealer(s), have the sales person open up the units you like, and then ditch the salesperson, just sit in each unit, dig through all the cabinets, and imagine where and how you are going to use the space. As for a HTT, I would also have the salesperson, open and close the hatches, and do it yourself once or twice.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:02 AM   #13

One of our thoughts with buying the 23b was that if there were only 2 or 3 people on the trip we can make an overnight stop in rainy weather without deploying the tent ends. Between the J steel sofa and the U dinette bed we could easily get by. Not as comfortable, but we prefer to keep the tent ends dry before packing up the beds.

As has been mentioned already, the hybrid is not at all like deploying a pop-up. To consider them the same is missing some of the hybrid features. Unlike prepping a pop-up for travel or camping use, all your things in a hybrid remain basically in place within the trailer. You have real cupboard and storage spaces. There is much less unpacking and packing with a hybrid. The only real operation is tipping out the beds.

Again, as has been mentioned, the hybrids give lots of space with less tow weight. We like that the tent ends make it a little more like camping. That said, we don't do much winter camping.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:06 AM   #14

The hinge area on a Jayco hybrid bunk is relatively flat. We had a Rockwood PUP and were inclined to get a Roo until we saw the stair step like transition from coach to bunk for the 2013 model year. The transition is one of the design features for the Jayco I liked over FR.
2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #15

I've had pop-ups and hard side TT's. Last year, I sold the PUP, it was just to much work and very limited space when I had the kids and grandkids. I was looking for a hard side TT when I stumbled across a used 23b. I was quite hesitant on a hybrid, bunkends and space but mine has a slide and the bunkends are super easy to deploy, leaving more time to relax with the kids.
I can load the HTT with our clothes and provisions before leaving, which leaves more room in my truck. I don't have suitcases and such laying all over as I did with the PUP. I love being able to unzip the sides for fresh air, especially on cool nights. I can turtle it on cold fall nights. Love that its lightweight for towing.
I would say the only downside is noisy neighbors at night. We had a family pull in last fall at 2 am and decided that was the perfect time to set up camp and I heard EVERYTHING.
Kennedy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy64 View Post
I've had pop-ups and hard side TT's. Last year, I sold the PUP, it was just to much work and very limited space when I had the kids and grandkids. I was looking for a hard side TT when I stumbled across a used 23b. I was quite hesitant on a hybrid, bunkends and space but mine has a slide and the bunkends are super easy to deploy, leaving more time to relax with the kids.
I can load the HTT with our clothes and provisions before leaving, which leaves more room in my truck. I don't have suitcases and such laying all over as I did with the PUP. I love being able to unzip the sides for fresh air, especially on cool nights. I can turtle it on cold fall nights. Love that its lightweight for towing.
I would say the only downside is noisy neighbors at night. We had a family pull in last fall at 2 am and decided that was the perfect time to set up camp and I heard EVERYTHING.
x2 We have had our hybrid for 5 years. No problems with leaks or condensation. Everything still works like new. The biggest problem is the noise after 10pm. We usually need to run a small portable fan or the AC fan so the kids can get to sleep.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #17

We've been out 3 time now in our new to us 23B. We skipped the PUP stage and went right from tents to the 23B.

We're loving it, during our early April trip had some pretty good storms and had no problems with leaks.

The last time out, we went with friends who had a PUP. The bunkends on the 23B are much, much easier to setup/take down. I'd second the recommendation to try it for yourself at the dealers; Also it rained the morning of our last day. Had 4 kids and 4 adults sitting inside for breakfast. We fed the kids and then stuck them in the bunk to play while the adults sat down to eat.

I can't tow anything bigger, so for us you just can't beat the available space in the HTT vs. TT.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #18

Hybrids are nice - you get a lightweight trailer with that airy pop-up feeling, but you have the amenities of a travel trailer. I seriously considered one myself when we moved up from a popup.

But there were two things that changed my mind:

1. If you set up or pack up during a rainstorm, your bed is gonna get wet. Same problem with the popup.

2. If you are camping in a National Park, in bear country, you cannot keep anything in your fridge, and you must empty the trailer of all "smellables," such as toiletries, soap, pots & pans, dishes - anything that could possibly have an odor that could attract a bear. The fold-out beds would put you in the same category as a popup.

When we visited Yellowstone in our popup, we even had to remove the stove. The rules are strict and are enforced - with fines. When I questioned the Ranger about locking up my water jug, he replied in this way . . . "Suppose you make hamburgers for supper tonight. After you make the patties, you need to wash the grease off your hands. So you grab your water jug and pour out water into a wash basin. You just left meat scent on the water jug handle. the bear doesn't know that - he just smells meat and will come looking for it."

We opted for a lightweight TT instead. But I don't know your camping spots, so that may not be of concern for you. Me - my sister lives in Idaho, so I travel westward frequently and like to visit the NPs along the way. So it made sense for me.

PS: those rules apply in Acadia NP (Maine), Great Smoky Mt NP, Tetons, Yellowstone, Rocky Mt. NP, Glacier NP, Yosemite NP, and many more I haven't been to.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:21 PM   #19

see my notes below in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
Hybrids are nice - you get a lightweight trailer with that airy pop-up feeling, but you have the amenities of a travel trailer. I seriously considered one myself when we moved up from a popup.

But there were two things that changed my mind:

1. If you set up or pack up during a rainstorm, your bed is gonna get wet. Same problem with the popup. We have setup and torn down in the rain many times. Not an issue, how the seams are done, they will hold the water and pool in the canvas, but it does not leak onto the beds.

2. If you are camping in a National Park, in bear country, you cannot keep anything in your fridge, and you must empty the trailer of all "smellables," such as toiletries, soap, pots & pans, dishes - anything that could possibly have an odor that could attract a bear. The fold-out beds would put you in the same category as a popup. When we were in Yellowstone a few years back, we "turtled" it, camped with the bunk ends closed, and slept on the dinette and j-sofa, no big deal, just not as comfy

When we visited Yellowstone in our popup, we even had to remove the stove. The rules are strict and are enforced - with fines. When I questioned the Ranger about locking up my water jug, he replied in this way . . . "Suppose you make hamburgers for supper tonight. After you make the patties, you need to wash the grease off your hands. So you grab your water jug and pour out water into a wash basin. You just left meat scent on the water jug handle. the bear doesn't know that - he just smells meat and will come looking for it." that is what was nice about turtling

We opted for a lightweight TT instead. But I don't know your camping spots, so that may not be of concern for you. Me - my sister lives in Idaho, so I travel westward frequently and like to visit the NPs along the way. So it made sense for me.

PS: those rules apply in Acadia NP (Maine), Great Smoky Mt NP, Tetons, Yellowstone, Rocky Mt. NP, Glacier NP, Yosemite NP, and many more I haven't been to.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #20

We tented for many years, then had 2 pop-ups over an 11 year period, one junky one for a year, and one new one that we had for 10 years.

We bought our first hybrid in '03, a 17' Jayco Kiwi 17a. Wonderful trailer, we had it for 10 years. No leaks save for a small one where a roof seam dried up, and that can happen on any trailer. Aside from a few stains from tree drippings, the canvas was like new when we traded it. One of the best parts about it was that setup/take down time was cut dramatically. That hybrid still used poles to hold the bed like the old pop-ups used. We could do it in 20 minutes if we don't setup all our lights and whirligigs.

We loved the hybrid so much that it's replacement is a 2013 X20E. So we're in our 13th season with hybrids and we've loved every minute of it. Especially the slide out! We were tenters so the little bit of noise we get is no big deal to us. We'll take that over being locked in a box and having to turn the AC on just to get air moving. They aren't for everyone though. Setup is even better on this and other newer ones. The bed uses cables instead of poles and the canvas is permanently attached. It's literally unlock the bed, drop the wall, put in the shepherds pole, lay out the mattress. Less than 5 minutes for each bed.

I will say this about the beds and setup in general, we just throw down a flat sleeping bag and throw blankets and pillows on top of that. Some folks try to do fitted sheets. So you can make setup as hard or as easy as you choose. It's your home away from home, do what works best for you.

Having so much experience with hybrids now, I guess I've never really understood the concern about packing up wet. You have to keep in mind that the entire bunk end is vinyl covered canvas, unlike older pop-ups that had real canvas on many exposed areas. When that stuff get's wet, it takes the better part of a day to dry out. I really hated packing up in the rain when we had the pop-ups. Packing in the rain doesn't bother me in the slightest now. Most times if it's wet and not raining when packing up, we just take a towel and dry the bunk ends off. It's just vinyl. And the rare time or two we've had to pack in the rain, the bunk ends dry off in 20 minutes or so when we get it home and open them up. It takes longer to unpack our food and clothing.

EDIT: I worry more about rolling up the awning wet.

I will say this, there is one big negative, and it's the same if you got a full walled travel trailer, they are expensive to tow. It's a box, and your towing mileage will suck. For us it's well worth it though!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote