Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #1

Waste water outlet to low to connect to tote.

So I've got a 2011 23B...it never really noticed how low the waste water outlet was to the ground; until I went to dump into the 30g blue tote I'd bought.

(that discovery is worthy of the bonehead thread )

As a newbie, it would seem that I'll either need to take the trailer to the dump station....or get a (macerating?) waste pump.

So far we haven't managed to fill the black tank; though the sensors always say full and I get nervous. But we did manage to fill the grey over Memorial Day weekend without even using the shower.

Don't understand why the outlet is so low...are the tote usually only used by big 5'ers/RVs?

Any recomendations on a pump? Or should I just get used to taking the trailer itself?
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #2

I have a 15 gal blue tote, luckily I have never used it. Personally I would look at the “smart tote” it fills from the side or end, and has a flip up/down connector.

The reason the outlet is so low is that the frames on a hybrid are much lower to the ground then most other trailers.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #3

Could parking the TT on blocks raise it enough to drain? Thinking 4" or so. Any higher and I would worry about the stability and myself as I go down the steps. If you try that out remember the tongue jack and stab jacks will probably need some blocks too.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:40 PM   #4

Here's what I would do before buying a pump:

Chances are that the on board tank is higher than the portable waste tote. If that's not the case, than my idea will not work unless you move the portable tote to a place LOWER than the on-board tank.

Get 2 of these (or a minimum of one): Amazon.com: Valterra Products, Inc. T1020-1 3" Black Termination Cap with Bayonet Hook and Hose Thread Connection: Automotive

Hook one up to your waste drain outlet, and the other adapter to your waste tank and hook up a garden hose in between. If it's only gray water, gravity will take care of the rest. Just make sure you don't over fill the portable waste tank, and only do it for gray water. As long as the portable tank is lower than the on-board tank, it doesn't even matter where the portable tank is; only limited by length of garden hose.

Disclosure: I keep a separate hose on board for this type of work and to rinse out my black tank. This is the hose I would/will use for this job.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Here's what I would do before buying a pump:

Chances are that the on board tank is higher than the portable waste tote. If that's not the case, than my idea will not work unless you move the portable tote to a place LOWER than the on-board tank.

Get 2 of these (or a minimum of one): Amazon.com: Valterra Products, Inc. T1020-1 3" Black Termination Cap with Bayonet Hook and Hose Thread Connection: Automotive

Hook one up to your waste drain outlet, and the other adapter to your waste tank and hook up a garden hose in between. If it's only gray water, gravity will take care of the rest. Just make sure you don't over fill the portable waste tank, and only do it for gray water. As long as the portable tank is lower than the on-board tank, it doesn't even matter where the portable tank is; only limited by length of garden hose.

Disclosure: I keep a separate hose on board for this type of work and to rinse out my black tank. This is the hose I would/will use for this job.
I do the exact same thing. I have short 10' section of hose that I use for dumping to the tote and for connecting the tank rinser.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:24 PM   #6

While it won't help the black tank use dish pans inside your trailer and water plants outside with the gray water, stops the tank(s) filling so fast. I use the adapter pictured above at home and dump all gray water on the trees next to my carport.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:43 AM   #7

Filling the grey water tank is easy if you run the water for instance when you wash dishes. We have the dbl sink so when we wash dishes we put hot water an soap in one side wash the dishes and put them on teh other side. When done we empty the one side and rinse from the other. It used a lot less water.
Totes can require a little thinking out of the box sometimes when you don't have enough height or angle to get gravity to do it's thing. I sometimes empty part of thje tank being carefull not to fill the tote, and then unscrew the hose from the waste connection and then lift the hose up so the waste water goes into the tote. I bring two swere hoses as well. That way if I can put the tote at a lower elevation say 15 feet away or more I can get the water to flow downhill that way.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:49 AM   #8

Something that has always worked well for us is to use a dishpan for washing dishes. When you're finished, dump it into the black tank (toilet). I've never seen the black tank get full and it helps when it's time to dump.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:21 AM   #9

Thanks for the tips about dishwashing...

I'm sure that was a big portion of our problem over memorial day. (Along with having 2 kids that like washing their hands!)
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
Old 06-05-2015, 07:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
Something that has always worked well for us is to use a dishpan for washing dishes. When you're finished, dump it into the black tank (toilet). I've never seen the black tank get full and it helps when it's time to dump.
This is what we do too. We always end up having to top of the black tank anyway, so we figure we may as well "recycle" the gray water; it's better than using fresh water to top off the tank on Sunday morning.

Another suggestion if you can't manage to get the portable tank above the on-board tank:

12 Volt Marine Utility Water Pump

If we ever get into boondocking more, I'll have two of these; one for grey water to be pumped UP into the tank while it sits in the bed of my truck (instead of having to drag it around or hitch it up to the truck, etc), and a completely separate one to pump fresh water into the on-board FW tank out of barrels or bladders or whatever. I think I would probably spray paint one bright red or orange so I know which is which!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post

I'm sure that was a big portion of our problem over memorial day. (Along with having 2 kids that like washing their hands!)
It's also fun to wash your hands using the outside shower (if equipped)!

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
It's also fun to wash your hands using the outside shower (if equipped)!
Yes, learned this after the grey tank backed up into the shower.

Charles
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
Old 06-05-2015, 08:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Yes, learned this after the grey tank backed up into the shower.

Charles
Haha.. funny how the kids don't really get the fact that they need to use the TT water less until that happens! Really drives the point home!

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #14

Quote:

Unless your at home and then it's did you wash .................... ahhh no
It's more fun in the TT
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:12 AM   #15

If it is reasonably close to being the right height, dig a small hole for the tote wheels. I had to do this at a state park even with my 5'er one time since the site elevation sloped up immediately on the dump side. It makes the tote a bit more difficult to get out of the holes, but such is life I guess.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote