Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2019, 07:39 AM   #1

Water heater runs non stop

I just bought a 2002 Kiwi 23b this year. Took it out for the first time this weekend. The water heater pilot lights. When I turn it ot on and let the water heats up the heater just runs constantly. Is this normal, and if not what can I look at to try and fix it?
sjcronin14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:40 AM   #2

I'm not familiar with your TT. Is it a propane water heater or electric?

If electric, it takes a VERY LONG time for the water to heat up.
If propane (6gal?) it takes about 20min without using the hot water, until ours shuts off. If heavily 'limed', it would take longer than that.
Please let us know.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:31 AM   #3

it is a 6gal propane heater. Not sure if it is limed up or not. I did just find something about the bypass valves. I need to check those when i get home. I am new to this hot water in a camper thing. I am coming from a popup with just a water hookup no heater.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:38 AM   #4

If there is no water in the water heater while the burner is ON, you risk ruining your water heater!

I suggest turning the water heater OFF until you resolve the bypass valve question and until you verify there is water in the water heater.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
BJR

It makes sense that if there's no water in the heater you won't trip the thermostat to shutoff. Do you eventually get hot water from the tap?
Old 05-06-2019, 09:54 AM   #6

Yeah for a little bit then it went cold again. I will update later
Old 05-07-2019, 07:59 AM   #7

Lift the over pressurized water handle on the outside of the trailer (next to the water heater burner). This will tell you is you have water in the water heater. If you do have water coming out by lifting the handle then you may need to push the high and low limit sensors (black square rubber section with two raised areas) located next to the fuel control also on the outside next to the burner. Depressing them should reset if not burned out (Replaceable) While your there look for a rocker switch. That will tell you if you have an electrical heater element. If you do and there wasn't water present while lifting the over pressure valve? You most likely burned out the element (replaceable). Keep inspecting everything including the three valves (normally inside. You might have to remove a panel or drawer. I did),

They are 1) the inlet. 2) the outlet. 3) the bypass. Standard ops are; inlet open, outlet open. 3) bypass closed. The handle of these three vales indicate the direction of flow.

Additionally, the other op is winterization; Bypass open, inlet closed, outlet closed. Seams the water tank will corrode or freeze and crack.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #8

Ensure your bypass is CLOSED - between the two pipes feeding the back of the water heater, there will likely be a small pipe connecting them. This must be closed, or hot is mixing with cold and could easily cause the heater to keep running.
curls is offline   Reply With Quote