Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2019, 08:53 AM   #1

Water in back bunk

When I open my back bunk on my 17C there is a puddle of water on the outside of the canvas. No water inside the trailer at all. How is water getting inside the bunk when its closed? Brand new seal kn the back as well.
mleger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #2

The area where the bunk end seal contacts the trailer I believe is the water entry area. I would take a roll of paper towels and cut a strip ( about 5” wide) a little longer than the length of the width and around the left & right corners. It’s probably about 8-9’that you need. Attach it to the trailer so when you close it up the gasket makes contact with it. You can use a little double sided tape to hold it in place then close it up and spray some water on the outside then give it a few minutes and take a look. Now you can look from the inside when it’s closed up by unzipping the flap and looking behind it.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:02 PM   #3

Is this constant, or a one-time thing. I've had that happen a couple of times when not careful enough closing up. If a bit of the tenting gets caught in the seal water will leak into the inside of the canvas. Always check then check again when closing up.

Also, if your TT is older, make sure that the bunk latches are still applying enough pressure to the door. The rubber pads on the cargo door type handles can dry out and even fall off. They are essential to ensuring the door closes tightly.

If it is a regular occurrence, as Tunce indicates, you need to see where the seal is leaking.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:32 PM   #4

Had this same issue on my 2012 x17z. About a month ago i replaced both bunk end seals and the rubber pads behind the bar latches. No more leak.

Here's a parts catalog
https://www.jaycorvparts.com/catalog...015Catalog.pdf
joshscott84 is offline   Reply With Quote