Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2019, 07:35 AM   #1

Water system & heater Care

I am new to having a water heater, and plumbing. I just returned from my 1st trip with our 23B. We were hooked up to city water all weekend with a filter and regulator. When I left camp I opened the low point drain for the ride home. Do you need to drain the water heater during the season in between trips, or anything else that needs to be done after a trip? We will go maybe once a month.

1996 Jayco 1007 (sold)

2016 Jayco X23B
Krazyboutcampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:55 AM   #2
Site Team

It’s a personal preference decision. If I’m not camping for a month, I’ll drain it. Most of the time I don’t.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:01 AM   #3

Some here have complained of an odor coming from water that sits in the water heater for a month or more. I have not had that problem. If you search water heaters, I'm sure you will find several threads on the topic. If you look to drain it, just remove the nylon plug. I also open the relief valve towards the top of the tank to speed up the draining process. Just be sure to close the valve when your done.

You'll see that some use vinegar or baking soda to remove odors. Others will install an anode rod or just buy a wand to get in through the drain plug area to thoroughly flush the tank. I pulled the relief valve off and forced garden hose pressure through the relief valve area while it drained below. The wand would be a better option.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:12 AM   #4

Personally I only drain the water heater and lines at the end of the season. There have been periods from the start of the season to the end where we've gone 6 weeks without make a camping trip (April Spring break trip to the close of school at the end of June). In the six years we've been doing this we have never had any issues with odor from the hot water tank.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyboutcampin View Post
I am new to having a water heater, and plumbing. I just returned from my 1st trip with our 23B. We were hooked up to city water all weekend with a filter and regulator. When I left camp I opened the low point drain for the ride home. Do you need to drain the water heater during the season in between trips, or anything else that needs to be done after a trip? We will go maybe once a month.

You may find that opening the low point drains also empties the water heater. On my 28BHBE it does. I don’t believe it did on my previous camper though. I pull the low point drains before leaving the campground after every trip. If my water heater didn’t drain with the low points, I wouldn’t drain it between trips. Just at the end of the season...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:58 AM   #6

We parked our 195RB for 2 weeks with the heater full. Oh what a problem. We parked in a campground for 5 days and were unable to use the water heater at all. It stank. BAD!

We were at a state park with no hookups so we couldn't flush it out.

As we left I hooked up to the fresh water adjacent to the dump station and flushed the hot water heater for 15 minutes and the smell was gone.

Now I always empty the hot water via low point drain if we are not using the trailer.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #7

I had opened the low point drain when I left. I was unsure if the water heater drained that way. So I removed the plug on the heater and found it did not drain VIA the low point valve. So I will probably drain the heater if it sits more than a month during the season. Hopefully it eliminates any issues from sitting.

1996 Jayco 1007 (sold)

2016 Jayco X23B
Krazyboutcampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:41 PM   #8

If you look to drain the WH via the low point drain, open the relief valve on the WH. That will eliminate the vacuum at the top of the WH while water is trying to drain from the bottom of the WH. Close the valve when done.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote