Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #1

Water Tank Sensors

I just know someone on here can help me. I just setup my "new to me" 2012 X23B, got it all de-winterized. During the flush and sanitizing process I noticed that on all 3 tanks the sensors readings are not working. When you push the monitor button all 4 lights (Empty, 1/3, 1/2, and full) flash and then the empty stays on even though I know the tank is full.

The odds that all 9 sensors are bad at the same time seams to be pretty slim. I was an electrician on F-4 jets in the navy so I can do a little bit of work. Does anyone know what the voltage readings should be? Is there a schematic available? I am guessing a power wire or ground wire is loose or corroded. It would be nice to have a starting point.

This site has been so helpful with my other questions I am hoping to get some help again.

Thanks
Ernie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
Site Team

I'm not sure of the voltage spec, but when I have a problem, I crawl underneath first, and check the wires attached to the sensors. I've found a couple broken off, since they don't secure them well at the factory. Ours just dangled in the wind. They're the gauge of telephone wire, so it doesn't take much to break them off. You can check the sensors by using a different wire and connect one end to ground, and touch the other end to the sensor connections one at a time. Have a helper watch the lights to see if they work. The higher up the tank.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #3

So I crawled under the trailer and found the grounding block just hanging down. I cleaned everything up and re-attached it to the frame and everything works.

Thanks for the help again. Tjis is a great site.
Ernie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:10 AM   #4
Site Team

It's nice when it's something simple. Always glad to help out. Happy camping!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie85 View Post
So I crawled under the trailer and found the grounding block just hanging down. I cleaned everything up and re-attached it to the frame and everything works.
I just hope that is something you NEVER had to say when working on F-4's.

Glad it was an easy fix. But now for the kicker, those tank sensor are notorious for giving totally inaccurate readings. Now that you've got them working, perhaps you can use your skills to design a simple one that actually reads properly...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
I just hope that is something you NEVER had to say when working on F-4's.

Glad it was an easy fix. But now for the kicker, those tank sensor are notorious for giving totally inaccurate readings. Now that you've got them working, perhaps you can use your skills to design a simple one that actually reads properly...
It's already been designed. I've been thinking of installing a set of these on my camper. https://www.amazon.com/SeeLevel-7091...k+level+sensor Has anyone tried this?
Old 05-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #7

Glad you got the sensors working. As soon as I got mine home, I applied liquid electrical tape to all the connections, to help keep the corrosion out. I also used a few zip ties to pull the wires up, to keep them from snagging on road debris.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
It's already been designed. I've been thinking of installing a set of these on my camper. https://www.amazon.com/SeeLevel-7091...k+level+sensor Has anyone tried this?
Probably should have said "simple and inexpensive". $186 is a bit much for sensors IMO. To answer your question, yes, someone here (JOF in general, not Hybrids) posted about their experience. I think if you search on SeeLevel you will find the thread.

In short they said they worked well, and I did take a look at these, but after the sticker shock, I decided I don't need accurate levels THAT badly after all.

ETA: the award goes to @RVhiker. Check out his install thread here: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...tall-3870.html
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
I have installed this system in my last two campers. I love it.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote