Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #1

Waterproofing bunkends

We just recently purchased new jayco X23B should I waterproof the bunk ends are is this something that comes from the factory already done?
joeortego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #2

I would waterproof them, and for that I suggest Scotchguard. Apply and forget it. Also make sure your seams are seasoned too. Swells the threads in the stitches for a better seal. Did the full treatment and have no issues with any grade of rainstorm.
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #3

You should not need to waterproof the tenting. Check your owners manual and see if it tells you to "season" the tenting. In my 2010 manual it says to soak the tenting, 3 times IIRC, letting it dry in between.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:22 AM   #4
hhg

I recently purchased a Jayfeather EXP 19H, 2007. I have spent over two months renovating/rebuilding. Design flaws and poor workmanship were in abundance. At this point, my problem is figuring out how to keep water from entering via the lower part of the canopy as it meets the body of the camper. It seems to be designed for the water to flow into a track between the bunk and the body. Is this correct? Shouldn't water be flowing away from the bunk and body of the camper? Am I missing some "apparatus" that should take care of this issue or is it just designed that way?
This is my first and last foldout. Way too many areas for possible (probable) leaks.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Any I.attaches to
hhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:57 AM   #5

There may be design differences between years, but with our '11 the tenting has a skirt that extends below the edge of the bed platform/door when extended. This goes all the way back to the hinge area and covers the hinge channel. We've never had any problems with water intrusion in that area, unless I forgot to check the skirting after setting down the bunk ends. Ours also has a fabric flap Velcro'd over the hinge area on the inside.

Do make sure that you fold the skirting into the bunk carefully when raising the platform as it can easily get pinched in this area.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #6

Ours leaks also and is starting to do damage. My husband thinks it has to do with faulty seals and it gets in where bunk hinges to camper body. It only leaks when bunks are closed up. Not even sure where to start with this one...
bnefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:49 PM   #7

Same here... I'm looking for a fix. I think my seals are good but I thinking water is getting in from the top of the hinge.
Jwpowers19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:53 PM   #8
hhg

Our 2007 leaked only when open. With the bunks open, it leaked virtually around the entire outside seal where the canopy meets the body. Research via Jayco revealed this was a problem from the very start. Jayco supposedly fixed the leak problem. Rotten floors and walls have proven them wrong.
I located the leaks by applying strong direct water pressure all around the outside of the canopy and having my wife inside to identify the specific spots. Where I was able, I first removed and reinstalled the canopy then I used Eternabond around the outside where the canopy meets the body of the camper. So far so good (a man that jumped off of a 10 story building used the same phrase as he passed the 5th floor). I have no permanent fix for where the canopy corners meet the body of the camper.
hhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnefarm View Post
Ours leaks also and is starting to do damage. My husband thinks it has to do with faulty seals and it gets in where bunk hinges to camper body. It only leaks when bunks are closed up. Not even sure where to start with this one...
Ours leaked twice, when the bunks were closed. What we found was a piece of the fabric skirting was trapped in the seal, allowing water to pass by.

Solution, is to make sure when we close the bunk ends, to be diligent about where the skirting is at.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #10

Once every fall before we put it in storage and in the spring before we head out camping I spray silicone on the front and rear bunk seals and then close them. I let it sit for 30 ish seconds and open. Now look at the area the seals rest against and make sure you can see a wet mark the whole way around. That let's me know the seals are making contact and do their job!
Auto_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnefarm View Post
Start by using silicon spray on the rubber seals, see if it brings them back to life.
New seals are an option.
If mine were doing that, I'd pull the trick I did on my old super duty: order surgical tube, then run them inside of the hollow part of the seal. That makes them thicker, and seal tighter.
bwft57 is offline   Reply With Quote