Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #1

WD creaking

I have a Husky WD which on the first 3 trips started "creaking" when I rurned. i called the dealer (Owasco Canada) and they said leave as is, however it became so bad that I greased the WD connectors to the TV... now gone... anyone experienced this and is grease OK on the WD pivots?
Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepotts View Post
I have a Husky WD which on the first 3 trips started "creaking" when I rurned. i called the dealer (Owasco Canada) and they said leave as is, however it became so bad that I greased the WD connectors to the TV... now gone... anyone experienced this and is grease OK on the WD pivots?
Ive been going crazy over this too.... I have a Reese WD and the creaking is driving me nuts. It doesn't seem right. My instructions say to use oil on the WD pivots. I didn't have any oil when I thought about it the other day do i used some dry lube. That did nothing so I will try the oil next time but wondering if grease is ok?

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #3

WD - must mean weight dist hitch. What is TV?
If you grease them how will you store them so grease doesn't get all over everything?
I noticed the creaking today when I brought my camper home. I have heard that on WD hitches before.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #4

TV = tow vehicle
WDH = weight distributing hitch

I used to lube my Quality S WDH with a few drops of 3-in-1 oil on each pin of each arm (top & bottom). No problems with creaking. I would wipe them with a paper towel before storage. Grease would probably be fine, IMHO - just a bit messier to wipe off.

2000 Jayco Designer 3230
32' - E450 - Triton V10
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
TV = tow vehicle
WDH = weight distributing hitch

I used to lube my Quality S WDH with a few drops of 3-in-1 oil on each pin of each arm (top & bottom). No problems with creaking. I would wipe them with a paper towel before storage. Grease would probably be fine, IMHO - just a bit messier to wipe off.
Thanks Steve, Ill try out the oil and see if it stops, otherwise, grease will have to do. Messier yes, but i but them in plastic bags in my storage compartment anyways so that shouldn't be a problem.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #6

Just so we are clear on what is creaking - do any of you folks with the creaking happen to have friction type anti-sway bars on your WD setup? If so are you sure that the creaking is not coming from them?

In my experience, the WD bars do not make any creaking sound, but the anti-sway bars groan when turning especially when they are wet.
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Noise coming from a WDH (weight distribution hitch) is normal, especially during a TV (tow vehicle) turn. I grease the spring bar sockets in my WDH ball mount to reduce noise, and place a quart size freezer bag over the greasy end of each spring bar when not in use (one freezer bag lasts me a camping season).

If you have the Reese Dual Cam WDH you can put a "dab" of Vaseline (not grease) over the came surface to reduce wear and noise...., which is more prevalent on the heavier loaded tongue weights.

As far as the standard friction control sway bars, do not apply any type of lubricant to the friction pad surface and remove the friction bar when backing into a campsite. As stated, they can be a little noisy at times.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote