Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2015, 01:04 PM   #41

attached pics of my 25E Notice the elevated bottle rack and the 4 bolt adaptor plate for the sway control
Attached Thumbnails
20150708_131026.jpg   20150708_131033.jpg   20150708_131040.jpg  
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #42

This is pretty much my setup as well.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #43

The battery in front setup is a bit of a pain. On my X213 the battery frame is part of the spare tire holder.
Our unit came with a single 30lb tank, so the WD bars were no problem until I changed to 2 30lb tanks. Could still make it work with a bit of shifting stuff around.
When I added a second battery I decided to put the tanks in front so that there would be enough space for the second battery. I had to cut up the old battery frame to keep the spare tire holder and make a new battery tray. But the WD fits perfectly now.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #44

X17Z Weight Distribution

I have a 2014 x17z and I have the Husky weight distribution system. It fits just fine and works really well. The tanks are close and I have to take off the plastic cover, but it's off anyway as I store the plug under it.
dopplemeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #45

My Equalizer hitch works fine too on my 2014 x17z. The plates that bolt to the frame are just under the propane tank cover. I am glad I took the advice of others and bought it. Towing never felt better.
tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #46

I have a 2015 x17z and have a EAZ-Lift round bar on mine that campingworld installed when I bought it. They had to shorten the bolts that hold it to the frame because it was smashing my side wall of the spare tire. I have to lift the propane cover on each side to hook up or you could just lift cove off then put it back on. It will fit and you don't need to move anything!
Rlc1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:30 PM   #47

I also have to lift the cover on the tanks so I can close the snap up brackets The solution for that is either remove the cover completely or to cut out the area in the cover so I can close the brackets
Old 07-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #48

Take a look at equalizer. Doesnt have the big snap up brackets propane might not be in the way. Check out you tube or e-trailer.com for install videos and pictures.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #49

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5831.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	19125

Name:	IMG_5832.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	19126

just got my camper out of storage and took another pic of the propane area with the cover off. Looks to me like there should be sufficient room, like you guys said. Why in the world would that shop tell me they can't install it?

Thanks for all your help on this. I will go back to the shop and ask them to look again.

what is the difference between equal-i-zer sway control hitch and eaz-lift weight distribution hitch? same purpose only different names? just thrown off by the sway vs wd
Schilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
I also have to lift the cover on the tanks so I can close the snap up brackets The solution for that is either remove the cover completely or to cut out the area in the cover so I can close the brackets
The cover is flexible enough, I just push it out of the way when inserting or removing the safety clips.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #51

Schilly

Just keep in mind that if you need to you can replace the 6 bolt sway bar adaptor for a 4 bolt adaptor Look at the pic I posted as it will show the tight clearance I had for my snap-up brackets
Old 07-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #52

I have a 19H that is arranged just like your camper, and with the Reese Trunnion WDH the snap brackets go right in that space (keyway) below the bottle bracket.
NorfolkCounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #53

We towed our 2012 X17Z with a Honda Pilot. We have a Husky Round Bar WDH and the saddles were close to the tanks, too. However, all I did was notch out the propane tank cover and it was fine. I didn't have to notch the cover, I just did because I got sick of lifting it each time.

Name:	WDH_Closup.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	19153
Old 07-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schilly View Post
Attachment 19125
[ATTACH]19126[/ATTACH
what is the difference between equal-i-zer sway control hitch and eaz-lift weight distribution hitch? same purpose only different names? just thrown off by the sway vs wd
My apologies in advance for this long winded reply:
Hi Schilly, we're mixing terms a bit in this thread. To answer your question, weight distribution and sway control are two different technologies. Weight distribution refers to moving some of the trailer's tongue weight back onto the front axel of your tow vehicle and some weight back onto your trailer axels. We measure this by taking a measurement of the front fender on the tow vehicle before the trailer is attached (Measurement A), then measure the same location again as soon as the coupler has been lowered to the ball with all the weight of the trailer on the ball (Measurement B). At this point the front fender will normally be an inch, perhaps more "higher" than it was before the trailer was put on the ball (B-A). You are looking to utilize the weight distribution bars to move the measurement closer to A at least half the distance. So if your font fender measured 35 inches before loading, and 36 inches after loading you want the measurement to be at least 35.5 inches after properly adjusting the spring bars and ideally 35 inches, but some setups never achieve returning to pre-trailer height. You will set this up once, and likely never need to change it. See rv.net post from Barney on setting up a WDH.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Travel Trailer Hitch Set-up Procedure

Sway control is performed through the "sway bar" that your dealer sent you home with, OR using a weight distributing hitch with built in sway control such as the Equalizer, Hensley Arrow, Anderson, E2, and Reese "Dual Cam". Good Luck on your setup!
NorfolkCounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schilly View Post
Attachment 19125
Attachment 19126
just got my camper out of storage and took another pic of the propane area with the cover off. Looks to me like there should be sufficient room, like you guys said. Why in the world would that shop tell me they can't install it?

Thanks for all your help on this. I will go back to the shop and ask them to look again.

You might find Blue-Ox Swaypro WDH to be an easier fit. They rotate instead of flipping up.
SwayPro® | Blue Ox
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #56

On mine I ended up buying brackets from e-trailer. They are not the latch type that you cam over with the piece of pipe. They are just pins that stick out you put through one of the chain links on your weight bars. Very simple and effective to use. I will try to get you a picture later.
Djherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:05 AM   #57

I had a 2011 x17z with a Pro Series round bar WDH. The snap up brackets were snug against the propane tank but it worked just fine.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #58

Schilly,

I have been down this road when I was new to Travel Trailers and knew squat about towing. It sounds like you now realize Weight Distribution is a must. I will strongly suggest that your installers are in no way "Experts". They likely know how to install the one product their shop uses and that is the end of their expertise. Keep doing what you are doing here and educate yourself, I guarantee the senior members of this forum have far more experience then the guys advising you at the shop.

What you need to look for is a system that allows for some play in the placement of the equipment. On my last TT I used the Equalizer system. If I remember correctly there is about 4 inches of play for where you can mount the posts and that system uses an "L" Bracket instead of a lever so there should be no interference from your tanks during connection. Based on your photos, I suspect the equipment will fit nicely in that gap in the propane tray.

The other advantage to that system is it has built in sway control so you will not need the secondary sway bar. This offers two advantages. First one less step for hook up but more immportantly you dont have to remember to get out of your vehicle and remove the sway bar before making any tight turns. I pulled at 9000lb 34ft trailer using the Equalizer and found it to be fantastic.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote