Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
One hint when towing with the CX9 - find out where the engine puts out maximum power and don't be afraid to go there when you need to. I use an FJ towing an X20E (now wishing it was a 23B...). It tows just fine, and since we got it in June we've been to Salt Lake City, Colorado, Iowa, New Mexico, Northern California and several local places (we live in AZ) on two 3-week trips and several long weekends. My wife drives as much or more than I do, and does just fine. The FJ doesn't have a tow package, so we have to shift manually. It's been great handling the hills and mountain passes though. Just don't be afraid to rev it up when needed, and don't try to go crazy with the speed.
Thanks for the advice, i will pass that onto my hubby. What really confuses us is that there are vehicles with less HP and torque I think the Honda Pilot for example than the CX9 and they can tow more weight. How is this possible. Is it a transmission/radiator issue with the CX9 if so, the towing package should solve that right. Dunno, very confusing.

WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #12

Congratulations on your X17Z, we love ours!

We originally were looking for a hard sided trailer for use at Dog Shows. All that we looked at felt cramped and tiny if they were light enough for us to tow with our Chevy Astro Van (rated 5000 lbs). The minute we walked inside the Z at the RV lot we knew this was the way to go for us.

As former tent campers we loved that we still had the feel of sleeping in tents, along with all the conveniences of a hard sided trailer. For the two of us and two dogs, it's worked out to be the ideal camper for us. We have camped in all conditions and it has never leaked or had a problem. We followed the MFG instructions to season the tent ends, and it's not leaked at all.

I will tell you that after towing it for a year with our Astro, that even though a 5000 lb rating is adequate, it's not ideal. In short order we will be upgrading to a Chevy Express 2500 with a tow rating of 6700 lbs. We figure with that much capacity, we can pretty much take it anywhere!

gaylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASABI View Post
....... What really confuses us is that there are vehicles with less HP and torque I think the Honda Pilot for example than the CX9 and they can tow more weight. How is this possible. .......
Without looking at the specifications, I would suspect it is due to the gear ratios.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASABI View Post
Thanks for the advice, i will pass that onto my hubby. What really confuses us is that there are vehicles with less HP and torque I think the Honda Pilot for example than the CX9 and they can tow more weight. How is this possible. Is it a transmission/radiator issue with the CX9 if so, the towing package should solve that right. Dunno, very confusing.
Power is only part of the equation for tow ratings. Available payload, suspension design, gear ratios, brakes and a healthy amount of marketing BS all have to be factored in. The Pilot and the Odyssey are basically the same vehicle and yet the Odyssey only tows 3500 lbs too.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #15

Moved here from a PUP (1207). I'm here b/c my tow vehicle can pull it comfortably. Were I in a Tahoe, I would be in a different trailer.

That said, this is LEAGUES ahead of the PUP. We're going to have fun w/ this one until the Ridgeline is due to be replaced in a few years. Probably go for a non-hybrid trailer afterwards.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #16

Our story will sound like a broken record but here goes.....
We started shopping for a popup and at the dealer I saw one of the hybrids. Love at first sight. Setup and breakdown are relatively easy. A nice hard-side TT with all the comforts plus 2 nice sized beds all packed away in a 24' length! I think it's a great compromise between towed length and the set up inside space.
All that raving said we're planning to upgrade to a 5th next year.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #17

two queen beds in 23' box! Well, that's not all of it but definitely a big part of it. 2 walls gives a bunch of cabinet space, full fridge/freezer, and more livable space without taking things down for sleep space sold us. That and it's smaller/lighter for the touareg to pull. It's amazingly awesome to send the toddler to bed back in the back bed behind the bathroom and we can still sit out, watch tv, go in/out of the tailer, read, etc while he's completely shut away into his 'bedroom'.

Retired: 2014 X23B
mitechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #18

I pull that EXP21M with my Touareg TDI and I hardly know it's there. It can tow 7,700 lbs. and I'm only at 5,300 loaded. Thank god I didn't buy a truck, not that there's anything wrong with a truck but I didn't want a truck. Dealer told me ( if it won't do the job on that 4,800 "TT" then just bring it back"! Said your not the 1st one to buy a Touareg for towing. Said I was doing the Grapevine north of LA. and he said "Don't worry you won't be calling me" you just bought the TDI and that's what it made for, towing and off road.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitechie View Post
two queen beds in 23' box! Well, that's not all of it but definitely a big part of it. 2 walls gives a bunch of cabinet space, full fridge/freezer, and more livable space without taking things down for sleep space sold us. That and it's smaller/lighter for the touareg to pull. It's amazingly awesome to send the toddler to bed back in the back bed behind the bathroom and we can still sit out, watch tv, go in/out of the tailer, read, etc while he's completely shut away into his 'bedroom'.
maybe in a few years I want the 23F or even the 19H. More cargo room and just space would be awesome. Unfortunately until we get rid of our TV..not doable. So we are going to be REALLY creative when it comes to organization and just all around packing light. 4 kids (2 teens/1 toddler/1 baby) and a chocolate lab..haha this should be fun! I will make it work, we made it work in a tent..this is going to be heaven compared to that! AND no lugging cargo from my condo to my cargo hitch, set up, tear down, back on the cargo hitch and up the elevators to my condo. That was a chore and a half. LOL
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #20

My answer to the original question....we wanted the camping experience of hearing nature and a tent...with the convenience of kitchen, sink, toilet, shower. HTT is the best of both worlds.

2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote