Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Hybrids
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2015, 05:57 PM   #1

What to use to protect tent ends from sun damage/leaking a seams?

Our tent ends are still in great condition since the tt is only a couple years old (bought used). I would like to keep them this way as long as possible. Just wondering what products people are using? I know their are lots of different products available not sure which ones I really need for this material (2013 x17z).

Also wondering, is it best to leave the tent ends open all summer when not in use? Leaving them open would seem beneficial for air circulation, but the constant sun shining on them may be more harmful. I close them up of course during heavy wind and rain.
BeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #2

My 2008 POPUP trailer tent ends looks great. I was going to put those high dollar GIZMO's over their tops but ended up just using a 9x12 tarp. This is held in place using stretch cords. Folds in rather nice I think but some folks may think this is a bit trailer park trashy looking...

Keeps my inside area warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer and really cuts down on being so bright inside during the day. Also cuts down big time on condensation when it is very humid at nights...

When the tarp starts going away from the SUN UV's I just replace it. They last two to three years for us. Also give us a change to change the color scheme at times (silver-brown-blue)...

Works great for us...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:00 PM   #3

Roy is on it. We had the PUG's and I recommend them. The main thing is keeping the sun/weather off the tent fabric. We only had the X23B for a couple of years but I expect that with a covering they'd last 10-15 yrs, maybe more. They help with temp control as well, winter and summer.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Roy is on it. We had the PUG's and I recommend them. The main thing is keeping the sun/weather off the tent fabric. We only had the X23B for a couple of years but I expect that with a covering they'd last 10-15 yrs, maybe more. They help with temp control as well, winter and summer.
X2 on the PUG's and I fold up the ends when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-20-2015, 01:35 PM   #5

Do you leave the pugs on the tent ends even when it's closed up?
vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #6

As I recall, the manual says that the tent ends are not intended to be left open for long periods. Even covered, the exposure will take it's toll on them. We never have ours open when not camping, except for cleanings and spring airings.

Regarding care, our last hybrid was an '03 Kiwi 17a, the ancestor to your X17z. We owned it for 10 years and the tent ends looked like new. Nothing special, clean stains off the vinyl as needed. Be careful how you close the bunk panels up, in other words, don't pinch the canvas. I never had to use seam sealer on the seams, but I did on our '93 1208 pop-up after about 5 years. If it starts to leak at the seams, then use the seam sealer.

We never use PUGs, and using a tarp just defeats the purpose of having the ability to open the bed flaps. Not to mention all that stuff is like doing work. I like to keep it simple. If I wanted to work that hard I'd still be in a tent.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedder View Post
Do you leave the pugs on the tent ends even when it's closed up?
No, I take them off because you would still have to remove the straps and the clips you put along the top edge.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:31 PM   #8

I recall reading a post a year or more ago where our hero used Velcro on the inner lip of the hatch opening and left the Pugs in place. He'd fold them over the tenting and fold the whole mess up as one. I never tried it but it seemed there might be enough room. Removing and installing added about 10 min per bunk which is what I did.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
....We never use PUGs, and using a tarp just defeats the purpose of having the ability to open the bed flaps. Not to mention all that stuff is like doing work. I like to keep it simple. If I wanted to work that hard I'd still be in a tent.
I like this answer!

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote