Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2014, 06:09 AM   #1

Where do you check for level.

My 2013 23b does not have a level spot in it. If the counter is level the fridge is not,the floor is again different. I have tried the window trim and that is also off. Being that the most important is the refrigerator, I usually empty the freezer and measure there. However it is a major pain to empty the freezer just for leveling.
Where do you folks level at?
Pitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:24 AM   #2

I initially leveled my trailer in the driveway by setting my 4 foot level parallel to the couch in the middle of the floor and then perpendicular to the couch straight in from the door. Even though there isn't a place on the entire floor where the level sits flat it's not a deal breaker. You aren't trying to set a CNC machining center...it's a trailer. Close enough counts for a whole bunch here.

Anyway with that said, after leveling the trailer in both axes, I proceeded to install the stick on levels on the front drivers side corner of the trailer. With the stick ons in place, I can leave the 4' level at home. As a general rule, if the trailer feels kittywhompus when you are inside walking around, it's not level enough to run the fridge on propane nor will it be comfortable sleeping in.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:17 AM   #3

I use the stair for front/back and tongue for left/right, using a 4' level.

Old school? :-)

D

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
Site Team

I have 3 levels that I can see from the controls. Very rarely all agree. I'll take any 2 and declare it level.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:38 AM   #5

I carry a 4' level with me. I have found that I can use the rear bumper to level side to side, and set in on the floor to level front to rear. Works great, and way more accurate than little stick on or short torpedo levels. I may be a little more anal than most when it comes to things like this. Must come from my carpentry back ground.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
.... it's not level enough to run the fridge on propane .....
Just a fine point of fact. There is no difference between propane and electric as far as the level requirement for the refrigerator is concerned. Level is always a requirement for the refrigerator.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
I carry a 4' level with me. I have found that I can use the rear bumper to level side to side, and set in on the floor to level front to rear. Works great, and way more accurate than little stick on or short torpedo levels. I may be a little more anal than most when it comes to things like this. Must come from my carpentry back ground.
That's exactly what I do...but then again, I am a 4th generation carpenter!
NY RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
Just a fine point of fact. There is no difference between propane and electric as far as the level requirement for the refrigerator is concerned. Level is always a requirement for the refrigerator.
Yes, level is always a requirement for a refrigeration system to function properly. However, I will respectfully disagree with one certain point and here is my reasoning. When running on electricity, there is a heating element that boils the refrigerant just like an electric water heater element and it is more tolerant of an out of level condition. When running on propane, there is a small pilot flame that contacts the bottom of a vessel containing the refrigerant causing it to boil. If the vehicle is too far out of level (I believe my Dometic fridge manual says +/- 3-5 degrees) the flame will not contact the vessel in the right place causing at least 2 things. 1. uneven/inefficient heating of the refrigerant; 2. a hot spot on the "chimney" of the refrigerator.

My buddy's motorhome burned to the ground and nearly caught his house on fire because he attempted to run the propane fridge while the unit was parked on his driveway that had about a 10 degree slope. The investigator stated that due to the extreme out of level condition, the chimney in the refrigerator caused the adjacent wood framing to ignite.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:43 PM   #9

I always thought you could not run the fridge unless level but on my recent new trailer and walk through, they explained the same thing about running it on propane and the same reason you explained why they can't but he told me electricity, no problem. the reason i asked was my driveway is sloped but i want to be able to run it before a trip to get it cold
roadrash3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:17 AM   #10

360 degree level, sitting on the floor just inside the door.

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
Yes, level is always a requirement for a refrigeration system to function properly. However, I will respectfully disagree with one certain point and here is my reasoning. When running on electricity, there is a heating element that boils the refrigerant just like an electric water heater element and it is more tolerant of an out of level condition. When running on propane, there is a small pilot flame that contacts the bottom of a vessel containing the refrigerant causing it to boil. If the vehicle is too far out of level (I believe my Dometic fridge manual says +/- 3-5 degrees) the flame will not contact the vessel in the right place causing at least 2 things. 1. uneven/inefficient heating of the refrigerant; 2. a hot spot on the "chimney" of the refrigerator.

My buddy's motorhome burned to the ground and nearly caught his house on fire because he attempted to run the propane fridge while the unit was parked on his driveway that had about a 10 degree slope. The investigator stated that due to the extreme out of level condition, the chimney in the refrigerator caused the adjacent wood framing to ignite.
Glad you took the time to explain the importance of having a level trailer for proper operation of the fridge. I always thought it was for optimum cooling, not necessarily a safety issue.

I would bet a lot of folks with TT's are not aware of this.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post

I can't use my bumper because JJayco did not get the bumper strait.You can see an inch difference between the left side and right side when looking at it from the rear. At first I thought it was bent but then I got to looking and they just welded it on crooked. To answer the question that I use my step for front to back and my tongue for left to right.
parkersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #13
Site Team

Floor, counter and table both directions

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #14

While setting up memorial day weekend, my daughter noted that when she laid in her bottom bunk in the bunk house, that she could tell that the bunk was leaning towards the middle of the bunk house. This was after I had leveled via the floor and counter top. That said, I lifted the top bunk and placed the level on the little wooden ledge(the one that would show side to side level) that holds the bunk up. Sure enough she was correct. I then leveled it to that. My front door opened and closed better than it ever has, and the whole TT seemed more stable. All went well till we were getting ready to leave. The first rear slide went in with no problem and sealed nicely. I then brought the second one in. When I went outside, there was a huge gap at the top. I then put the slide back out. Since I was on a concrete slab, I took the stabilizer jacks up, and in went the slide just as it should. Now I am confused as to the best way to handle it. Guess, I will level as I did, but bring the stabilizer jacks up before bringing in the 3 slides.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #15

Bottom of the freezer, only takes a minuet to clear enough space to use a 6" level for side to side & the glass shelf for front to back and my DW for really getting it level Larry
Old 06-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #16

I put my 18" level just inside the door on the floor.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #17

I use the stick on levels, then check in the freezer, if I'm within half a bubble all around I figure it's good.
But there are those who say I have always been half a bubble off!
Vietnam Vet USMC
judgerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Floor, counter and table both directions
Same way here as well.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #19

The owners manual says if your comfortable the fridge is comfortable. To me that means its not that critical.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
The owners manual says if your comfortable the fridge is comfortable. To me that means its not that critical.
Couldn't put it better myself. The fridge can operate (on electric) with quite a bit of leeway from level, so it boils down to your own personal comfort. Some people are more sensitive to out-of-level conditions than others are. Just as some people are more sensitive while standing; others are more sensitive while lying down. Most people spend most of their indoor time standing & walking on the floor, so I lay my level on the floor inside the front door (between the axels and the tongue jack). If someone in your group is particularly sensitive to out-of -level while lying in bed, there's certainly no harm in leveling from their bunk.

As I said in another thread on this same subject, many sinks and bath tubs/shower pans have low spots that can "puddle" water if the trailer is either too far out of level, or too level. In my old trailer, both the galley sink and the bathtub would drain better if the trailer was slightly high at the front, and slightly low on the door side. In the new Eagle, the drains are closer to the center of the trailer (side-to-side), so I get the best drainage when the trailer is level side-to-side,. bit slightly high to the front.

And if you happen to roll over on top of the DW in the middle of the night, you can always blame it on the trailer being out of level.