Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #1

Where do you fill up your fresh water tank?

If I was going to a campground I would not be worried about this.

We will be heading to Charlottesville in a few weeks for tailgating. I do not want to tow with my tank full but there isn't a water source in the parking lot. AC will be ran on the generator.

Do gas stations have a water source where you can fill up the water tank? Rest area's?
Uvafan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #2

Personally I would fill at home and tow it. That way you know the quality of water you are getting.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #3

My only issue is with the 17z we can only add about 350lbs of extra weight so filling the water tank is going to take half of that weight away.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #4

The difference between your unloaded weight and GVWR is only 350 lbs? That seems a little light. You might also throw a post up on the site of where you are going. Someone there might know a local water source. If where you are going has a lot of people using wells, a local water department may have a water fill as well.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #5

Good point. We will be in Charlottesville, VA.

Thank you for your help!
Old 08-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #6

Looks like there is a Charlottesville KOA Campground thats allows non registered guests to use the dump station for a fee, maybe give them a call to see what they may want to fill your water tank.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #7

Go to the website..., tripadvisor.com and post something under their forum.
Meadows11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:53 PM   #8

If I am not mistaken a 17Z has pretty small tanks right, ~20 gallons? If so I imagine you are not looking water to shower; but mainly dishes, toilet and possibly drinking -- right? If so, and you can't find water conviently to fill up, maybe just by a few of the 2.5 gallon water jugs from a gocery store in town. They can usually be had for a ~$2 each and there is no concern about the quality of the water source.

Or even better, the grocery store where I live, allows you to fill 5 gallon water bottles for .25 gallon. You could just fill a couple of those and use your gravity fill to get it in the tanks.

If you had a JayFlight with the 80+ gallon holding tank that would be a challenge and expensive. But smaller tanks open more possibilities without breaking the bank.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #9

When you say gravity fill how does that work? I have only filled it by hooking the hose to the tank fill port and the other side to the water source.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:45 PM   #10

I also have an x17z and if I'm not sure about the water where I'm going I carry a 5 gal coleman water jug with water from home for drinking. Just pour it into a 1/2 gal Tupperware and cool it in the fridge to drink. But so far for shorter trips I just fill the main tank at home and it has towed just fine. If worried about weight leave some clothes and canned goods in your TV.
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uvafan15 View Post
When you say gravity fill how does that work? I have only filled it by hooking the hose to the tank fill port and the other side to the water source.
We are likely talking about the same thing, my manual calls one the city connection and the other the gravity fill.

City Water Connection -- Where you connect your hose to a local water source that bypasses the FW holding tank and pressurizes the plumbing with the source pressure.

Gravity Fill -- An open port where you fill the FW holding tank and then use the onboard 12 Volt water pump to pressurize the plumbing. Its called "Gravity fill" becasue its a open pipe to the tank. You can pour water in this port and gravity will take it to the tank, it doesn't require a pressuized connection to fill the tank.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #12

Very good to know. Thank you!