Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #1

Where do your toddlers sleep?

We are now to the point where we have to worry about sleeping arrangements for our 14 month old. We do not want him in the bed with us (we have a 17z). I am thinking the dinette bed would be the best option but I am still worried about him rolling off. Has anyone constructed something to keep their toddler in the bed? Any certain bed rail?
Uvafan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #2

Just a thought, we had a toddler back in our tenting days. Not suggesting a tent, but a small air mattress. Our daughter had her own in the tent.

For your needs put the dinette table outside and put the air mattress on the floor where the table would have gone. That way there isn't too much of a drop if he rolls off. When not sleeping the air mattress can go on one of the bunk ends, and you'll have a lot more floor space without the table. We've been putting our table outside for as long as we've had pop-ups and hybrids.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #3

How about just a "bed gate" that slides under mattress?
see walmart has them for $38
DEX Baby - Safe Sleeper Convertible Crib Bed Rail - Walmart.com
Attached Thumbnails
k2-_90292a56-047b-4f9c-8894-8312e02a0e66.v1.jpg  
GiddiYup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
BCK

A fitted sheet on the dinette with a rolled up blanket under the sheet along the edge works really well. It's enough to keep a toddler from rolling over in their sleep.

We went from the playpen for the on the floor to the rolled up sheet and then when the kids were a little bigger and I made a rail for the bunk.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #5

I don't know about hybrids, but there are plenty of stories out there about kids slipping out of the tent ends on pop-up trailers. Kind of scary.

Anyway, I would put him in the back bed. The bathroom wall blocks off much of that bed, and a simple pillow on the bed (perhaps under the sheet) would keep him from rolling out the small opening on accident. The bigger worry is him getting out intentionally; could be a bit of a drop from the bed height to the floor. Put another pillow down there and that will help.

Our son (19MO now) has been sleeping in the lower bunk of our bunkhouse since he was about 1YO (I think, perhaps longer). In the beginning, we put him in the pack-n-play in the dinette (table top removed and stowed). Then when we moved him to the bed, we put up a gate. Then we took off the gate and put a pool noodle under the sheet to keep him from rolling out. At that point, he would still call out for us rather than try to get out on his own. Now we just put him in there and close the curtain. He never rolls out accidentally, but he can get out intentionally without hurting himself, and he can almost climb back in on his own. It's a good thing I'm a light sleeper, I know when he's moving around back there and would be able to tell if he climbed out of bed.

It's refreshing to see other parents getting their kids out there early. My primary goal was to make the camper "routine" for him from the beginning. Now he actually likes going in the trailer. He's not old enough to anticipate trips yet, but he does have fun when we're out.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #6

I see you have a 17z so space may be a problem. But in our X23B, we always brought along a pac-n-play. Worked great!

Now that he's almost 4, he sleeps on one of the bunk ends with Mamaw. I'm relegated to the back bunk.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #7

Hybrid bunk ends, the canvas screws on. At least the recent models do.

My toddler sleeps, wherever he wants. lol... in our bed (the front pop-out). The "couch-bed". The "Table-bed". a separate bed.

X23F, so a bit different I guess. but he's the boss.
twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
I see you have a 17z so space may be a problem. But in our X23B, we always brought along a pac-n-play. Worked great!

Now that he's almost 4, he sleeps on one of the bunk ends with Mamaw. I'm relegated to the back bunk.
I might also add that during the day, we put the p-n-p up on the front bunk and close the curtains......
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #9

maybe put him to bed in hockey equipment. Problem solved. Our parents used to just put us in a bed and didn't worry to much about it. If we fell we got up and went back to bed we all survived. Humans are a little tougher then we give credit for, it's all part of growing up.
Ronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #10

We started camping when our son was 7 months old. We have a 23B, so our setup is a bit different. We originally put him in the pack n play in the rear between the bath and the closets. That didn't work out too well, so we moved him in the pack n play to the front in the U shaped dinette. I also put up light darkening curtains so we don't wake him up when we open the door (mostly for naps). We sleep in the rear bunk and don't really use the front bunk yet.

We have another one on the way this fall, so next spring we plan on moving the older one to the rear bunk with a baby gate and the infant will move into the pack n play.
weekendwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #11

Use some imagination. Get an extra large one for those nights you're on the "outs".
Attached Thumbnails
dog-bed.jpg  
Old 05-24-2016, 09:29 PM   #12

When I was little (a long time ago) we had a pickup camper and I slept in the bunk above the table. I distinctly remember my mom putting campbells soup cans under the mattress near the edge to raise it up.

edit:

The Costco large dog bed would be perfect.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:35 AM   #13

Our 1st time out with our 12 month old boys last week and we stuck them both in a Pack-N-Play on top of the stowed kitchen seating. Long term.... say 6-12 more months, that PnP is going to be pretty darn useful. I am converting a bunk for them so we can maintain the table during the rest of the day.

Looking at the mini wall you can sometimes make wall out of that table area, a trimmed up piece of plywood and some velcro could make for a nice bed edge should your toddler not be a climber.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #14

We camped in a pop-up with our 6 week old. He slept on the mattress next to Mom, and I took the other bunk.

We're camping this weekend with our newest 6 week old in our 17Z. He'll sleep on the mattress with Mom, and I'll sleep on the other end with our now 3yr old. Wish us luck, as this is our first outting with both kids!
j_shoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_shoe99 View Post
We camped in a pop-up with our 6 week old. He slept on the mattress next to Mom, and I took the other bunk.

We're camping this weekend with our newest 6 week old in our 17Z. He'll sleep on the mattress with Mom, and I'll sleep on the other end with our now 3yr old. Wish us luck, as this is our first outting with both kids!
YES! Good luck! Get 'em started early!! You guys will have a great time!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_shoe99 View Post

Should be a great time! Enjoy!
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:14 PM   #17

We put the kids in the front bunk and used this "magic bumper" bed rail.
Worked great, no problems.
Magic Bumpers - Alternative Child's Bed Rail

The typical bed rail available at Target didn't work at all. The mattress wasn't heavy enough to keep the rail in place.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:11 PM   #18

We remove the dinette table at night and set up a pack and play for our little ones. In the morning we drop the pack and play and set up the table. Works great, but a little work at night and morning.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote