Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #21

I have a Thetford smart tote for my X23B. Since I only use it for gray water, I store it in the TT when we aren't camping.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:00 AM   #22

Does anybody have any wisdom about 2 wheel vs 4 wheel models? If I want to stay with the Barker line, the 4 Wheel model is almost double the price, and many of the other models available are 2 wheel. I've decided to go with the 25 Gallon size, it will get completely filled maybe once or twice, but generally I plan on emptying it at half full so I can lift it into the back of the Pilot.
Johnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #23

I got a Therford instead of a Barker - 4 wheels.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnster View Post
Does anybody have any wisdom about 2 wheel vs 4 wheel models? If I want to stay with the Barker line, the 4 Wheel model is almost double the price, and many of the other models available are 2 wheel. I've decided to go with the 25 Gallon size, it will get completely filled maybe once or twice, but generally I plan on emptying it at half full so I can lift it into the back of the Pilot.
Many prefer the 4 wheel because you move it more like a wagon and the dump valve is on the side so no lifting. The 2 wheel version is moved like a wheelbarrow and it must be tilted to dump since the hose connection is on the top.

I have the Barker 22gal 2 wheel type and love it. I have no issue moving it around when full, dragging to the dump station with my truck or tilting it to dump. Best part is I got in on CraigsList for $50.

I think 22-25 gallons is a perfect size. The tote is large enough to make quick work of dumping the tanks but also its a manageable size to store and haul around. That said you must be a pretty strong guy if you can can lift a full (or half full) tote into you Pilot. At 1/2 full it will weight ~100 and the water weight will be shifting with every movement. I think you should plan to tow it to the Dump Station, the handles are designed to slip over a hitch ball so it can easily be towed.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:47 AM   #25

The reason I'm looking at being able to lift it is because where we usually go camping (Killbear Provincial Park), the access roads to/from the campsite are pretty bumpy and aren't paved until you get to the central road. Can these things handle the generally lousy road conditions if I go really slowly? I guess it goes without saying that an accident with one of these full of Black Water (not the kind the Doobies sang about) would be akin to the Exxon Valdez.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I have the Barker 22gal 2 wheel type and love it.
I think 22-25 gallons is a perfect size. I think you should plan to tow it to the Dump Station, the handles are designed to slip over a hitch ball so it can easily be towed.
I looked at a Barker 22 Gal 2-wheel model yesterday and I didn't see a tow handle, and the wheels were the plastic ones. Is this the one you have? If so, do the wheels hold up? Can I hitch it to a WDS or would I need a stinger?

Cheers and thanks to everyone for the responses!
Old 06-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnster View Post
I looked at a Barker 22 Gal 2-wheel model yesterday and I didn't see a tow handle, and the wheels were the plastic ones. Is this the one you have? If so, do the wheels hold up? Can I hitch it to a WDS or would I need a stinger?

Cheers and thanks to everyone for the responses!
Barker makes great totes and elec hitch jack -- but their website really sucks.

http://www.barkermfg.com/tt22.html

Take a look at the link above. Scroll down to the parts list item 13. That is the handle, it is detachable btu works very well. I simply place the loop in the handle over the hitch ball.

I still have the plastic wheels and they have held up fine. The CG roads around here are far from great, typically very deteriated pavement with lots of loose gravel and rocks, but not huge pot holes. Typically it is only 1/4 mile or less to the dump station. Many folks have replaced these hard plastic wheels with pneumatic wheels from Harbor Freight. I haev considered, but just haven't gotten to it yet -- not a priority.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote