Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #1

Which is the best hybrid by Jayco?

We are looking for:
$15000 CAD or less
Max 3500lb
Air conditioning
Sleep 5 (2 pullouts and a table)
Not too fussy on bathroom/kitchen
Decent size fridge

Currently in a 2009 Jay Series 1007 pop up.

Have been looking at 2014-2015 Jayco Jay Feather Ultra Lite SLX. It seems to fit the bill - anyone else have suggestions?

Cheers!

AC

Ps - are these "travel trailers" or hybrid? Is a hybrid just a subset of travel trailers?
AirCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:28 PM   #2

From Websters: Hybrid: 3a: something heterogeneous in origin or composition : COMPOSITE.

In this case a composite of a full height travel trailer with pop-outs like a pop-up camper. The best of both with a lot less hassle than a pop-up. The X20E in my signature is our 2nd hybrid. The first was an '03 Kiwi 17a bought new in 2003 and we had for 10 years.

All of Jayco's hybrids are built the same way, with the same materials so the "best" is relative to the floor plan that works best for you. I will say this, our first hybrid had a wet bath. I'm pretty average in height and build and I could not comfortably take a shower in it. We used public showers until we got our current trailer. Otherwise we loved that little trailer, but we love our current one more.

Here's a tip, if you don't have a strong need to sit inside and eat, use the dining table outside for storing things on and you'll have even more floor space.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #3

What do you mean by use the dining table outside? Is it just on normal legs and can be moved outside? We would pretty well always eat outside I would think. I much prefer that.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCanuck View Post
What do you mean by use the dining table outside? Is it just on normal legs and can be moved outside? We would pretty well always eat outside I would think. I much prefer that.
We use the picnic table to eat outside and the use the dinette table to store stuff on under the awning. Like a dish drying rack and sometimes bring the coffee maker outside on that table.

The year you're looking at has a weird collapsible system that has finger pinch points. It's also heavy and clunky. I replaced that non-sense with folding legs. The first summer our table got wet in a storm and the top swelled up, so I had a friend make a table top from cedar. Far lighter and stronger than the laminated press wood, and waterproof.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:02 PM   #5

That's a beautiful little table! Can you speak to how effective the 8000btu AC is in these hybrids?
Old 07-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #6

A few points to consider.

1) Are you set on the SLX Ultra-Lights? There are hybrids in both the SLX and Feather lines (names have changed a bit over the years, but there has most always been a differentiation). The SLX or Ultra-Light line are smaller and NARROWER. If you are at all tall, you may find the bunks too short. The regular hybrids are wider (8') so the bunks are more comfortable for tall folks.
Note you set the maximum to 3500lbs - is that dry or GVW? If that is all you can tow, then you are really limited to only the smallest HTT's. My limitation was a full-size SUV with 5,000 lb towing; now in a HT Pickup with about 9000 lb. If you are thinking 3500 before cargo, then your options open up.
2) Consider space. Our X19H is perfect size-wise, but we do wish we had stepped up one model to get the slide-out dinette. Floor space can be at a premium, especially if you might have 5 in there on a rainy day. Our pup felt bigger in some ways because there were no upper cabinets obstructing and closing the place in.
3) Not sure about the 8k BTU. In some of the smaller units it is actually a window type AC instead of roof mount. It may also be located behind the TV on some, so flow can be a problem. The larger AC units mounted on the roof can cool the trailer nicely, but don't expect to sleep with them on unless you can sleep beside a jet engine. Ours has been on exactly once; when we took delivery and it was ice cold. It is pretty easy to keep the HTT cool with careful use of opening bunk end flaps, and judicious use of the bunk fans, and occasional use of the AC in fan mode only.
4) Don't make assumptions about a removable table. This also has varied over the years. Ours has the standard 2-pole setup that you may be used to on the front table in your 1007. Interestingly, our 1007 had the removable type table shown above, but we have sturdier aluminum camp tables for setup.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #7

The A/C unit in my 232 is more than adequate, even on the low setting with outside temperatures ~90F in direct sunlight. I have noticed, however, that the temperature inside the pop out bed canopy seems to be about 10-15 degrees warmer than inside during mid-day heat, but that's to be expected. A quick adjustment to high cool, and the temperatures balanced out fairly well, but not completely. Still comfortable, nonetheless.
Deuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #8

Just a note if you're sleeping 5 - We have a 2018 17XFD. 3500 pounds dry, but with Three (3) beds. One on the side. They don't make the floorplan anymore, but we love it - my kids don't kick each other. Just a thought.
Morttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:50 PM   #9

We have a jayco 16 XRB, it's pretty much the biggest you should be hauling with a 3500 max tow.
The 8k BTU A/C does nothing in 30C weather, we had to get pop up gizmos to keep the camper cool. It did make a substantial difference. But it's another item to setup and take down when we go camping.
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCanuck View Post
We are looking for:
$15000 CAD or less
Max 3500lb
Air conditioning
Sleep 5 (2 pullouts and a table)
Not too fussy on bathroom/kitchen
Decent size fridge

Currently in a 2009 Jay Series 1007 pop up.

Have been looking at 2014-2015 Jayco Jay Feather Ultra Lite SLX. It seems to fit the bill - anyone else have suggestions?

Cheers!

AC

Ps - are these "travel trailers" or hybrid? Is a hybrid just a subset of travel trailers?
Hybrid is the trailer with tent pop outs.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #11

Question Any One- Tent Bed Models?

We have 2008 19 ft Jay Feather Hybrid. I love the tent beds but would prefer just one tent bed and one regular bed. I did not see a model offering that. Did Jayco ever make one? In bad weather or for one night stops it would be nice to have hard walls.
Outdoorswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:57 PM   #12

I think they did some years back. If it wasn't popular they discontinued it.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorswoman View Post
We have 2008 19 ft Jay Feather Hybrid. I love the tent beds but would prefer just one tent bed and one regular bed. I did not see a model offering that. Did Jayco ever make one? In bad weather or for one night stops it would be nice to have hard walls.
Drop the table?
Old 07-26-2020, 05:39 AM   #14

The table is pretty tight but the couch works for one person. I'll keep my eyes open for a used one bed model. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2020, 05:40 AM   #15

Good to know there may be a few left out there. Thanks!