Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #1

Which Reese Dual Cam hitch is the correct one?

Just purchased a 2012 X18D. I am wondering which Reese Dual Cam would be best for this hybrid. The trailer has a GVW of 5000 lbs and a dry Hitch Weight of 530 lbs.

Here is the link.

I am thinking that the 10,000 lbs GTW with 800 lbs TW version (Item RP66083) would be best. However, the 12<000 lbs GTW with 1200 lbs TW version (Item RP66084) is the same price. Should I get the higher rated version is case I upgrade at some point or should I get the version that is better matched with my current trailer? Both come with the shank.

Thanks!
JaycoNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #2

Any suggestion? Thanks.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Site Team

I would get the appropriate bars for your trailer, some of the liteweights have limits on how much the spring bars should be rated. 800 lb bars would cover a 5000lb GVWR well,(at max 15% TW would be 750 lbs) 1200 would be overkill IMO. If you get the Reese system with Trunnion bars you can upgrade the bars to a larger size later if you get a heavier trailer.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #4

Get the one that is the closest match to your trailer. You can always upgrade to heavier bars when you need to.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

OK thanks ... I didn't know that the trailer had limits on the spring bars. I also didn't know that you could simply upgrade the bars if you purchased a larger trailer. Thanks guys!! I'm going to place the order. I will have it delivered to Calais Maine and then drive across the boarder to pick it up so i don't have to pay $270 for shipping!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoNB View Post
OK thanks ... I didn't know that the trailer had limits on the spring bars. I also didn't know that you could simply upgrade the bars if you purchased a larger trailer. Thanks guys!! I'm going to place the order. I will have it delivered to Calais Maine and then drive across the boarder to pick it up so i don't have to pay $270 for shipping!!!
Only some of the Reese systems can be upgraded with larger bars, so ask if you are getting the right ones. IIRC the Trunnion bars are upgradeable and interchangeable but not the round bars but I would confirm that with a tech.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Only some of the Reese systems can be upgraded with larger bars, so ask if you are getting the right ones. IIRC the Trunnion bars are upgradeable and interchangeable but not the round bars but I would confirm that with a tech.
OK I will contact Reese to ask them. Thanks for the heads up!!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #8

Oh ..... and I will never tow without sway control. Our first trailer was an older tent trailer that was pretty heavy. One day we were towing it with our Chev Astro Van and had to pass a slow moving vehicle. After I passed and moved back into the lane we hit some ruts in the road and the tent trailer went into a wicked sway. We were going around 65mph. I didn't touch the break but let off the gas. The trailer was swaying real bad and, with each sway, we were getting pushed towards the ditch. I was pretty sure we were about to crash into the ditch but, luckily enough for us, after we slowed down enough, the sway stopped. The feeling of helplessness as we moved closer and closer to the soft shoulder of the highway with my wife and infant daughter in the van was terrifying!! Never again!!!!!

Stay safe out there!!!