Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #1

Winterizing Question

I have been a Jayco owner since 2009, and have done my own winterizing on my previous camper (26BH) and have not had any issues (knock on wood). I began winterizing my 2018 Jay Feather X23E yesterday, and decided to check the manual to make sure there was nothing I missed.

The manual has a section about winterizing the "macerator." Please forgive my ignorance, but is the "black tank flush" considered a macerator? I thought a macerator was a rotating, bladed contraption that helped make solid waste smaller. As far as I can tell, my camper does not have a macerator, but does have a black tank flush.

Do I need to add RV/Marine antifreeze to the black tank flush? Figuring I'll have to sacrifice a hose if I do. Thought I check with the forum beforehand.

Thanks in advance for assistance and advice.
Pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #2

After I emptied both the grey and black, I put some antifreeze down there through the sinks / toilet. You could just dump some down the toilet to get it into the black tank.

Not really sure if you need to or not, but anti-freeze is cheap enough!
Old 10-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrate View Post
I have been a Jayco owner since 2009, and have done my own winterizing on my previous camper (26BH) and have not had any issues (knock on wood). I began winterizing my 2018 Jay Feather X23E yesterday, and decided to check the manual to make sure there was nothing I missed.

The manual has a section about winterizing the "macerator." Please forgive my ignorance, but is the "black tank flush" considered a macerator? I thought a macerator was a rotating, bladed contraption that helped make solid waste smaller. As far as I can tell, my camper does not have a macerator, but does have a black tank flush.

Do I need to add RV/Marine antifreeze to the black tank flush? Figuring I'll have to sacrifice a hose if I do. Thought I check with the forum beforehand.

Thanks in advance for assistance and advice.
The macerator is the Sanicon system on a Jayco if it is so equipped. It is not the black tank flush which should be blown out with an air compressor when winterizing. Do you have the Sanicon system on your trailer?
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #4

my 2018 SLX 267BHSW has the black tank flush, no macerator. The black tank flush is not connected to your fresh water system or plumbing at all, it only operates when you attach an exterior fresh water hose to the outside connection for it. It has a back flow preventer valve, and, depending on how the piping for it is hung/installed, it may or may not have some water retained in the piping after use. So, the safest thing to do is to blow it out with compressed air as suggested already, or you can pump some antifreeze into it with one of these:

https://www.campingworld.com/plastic...oaAjG1EALw_wcB

You just screw the hose connecter into your black tank flush connection, put the other draw hose into the bottle of antifreeze, give it a few pumps so you can see pink stuff going in, and you're good.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
The macerator is the Sanicon system on a Jayco if it is so equipped. It is not the black tank flush which should be blown out with an air compressor when winterizing. Do you have the Sanicon system on your trailer?
Thank you for the reply. I do not have the Sanicon system, so I'm guessing no macerator. Thank you for the help.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
my 2018 SLX 267BHSW has the black tank flush, no macerator. The black tank flush is not connected to your fresh water system or plumbing at all, it only operates when you attach an exterior fresh water hose to the outside connection for it. It has a back flow preventer valve, and, depending on how the piping for it is hung/installed, it may or may not have some water retained in the piping after use. So, the safest thing to do is to blow it out with compressed air as suggested already, or you can pump some antifreeze into it with one of these:

https://www.campingworld.com/plastic...oaAjG1EALw_wcB

You just screw the hose connecter into your black tank flush connection, put the other draw hose into the bottle of antifreeze, give it a few pumps so you can see pink stuff going in, and you're good.
Thank you for the reply.

I think I will give that hand pump a try.

Thank you for the help.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #7

Jayco writes their manuals to cover multiple models and versions of models, with no indication of what applies to which models. This makes the manuals often less than useful and often confusing. In this day and age of word processing, it really wouldn't take much effort to make useful, model specific manuals.
MontanaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRick View Post
Jayco writes their manuals to cover multiple models and versions of models, with no indication of what applies to which models. This makes the manuals often less than useful and often confusing. In this day and age of word processing, it really wouldn't take much effort to make useful, model specific manuals.
I agree. The manual for my 2008 Jayflight 26BH was pretty spot-on. The manual for the new camper, not so much.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:31 PM   #9

" . . . if so equipped . ."
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:42 PM   #10

This is the procedure from Thetford to winterize the SaniCon system
Attached Thumbnails
395D2012-D190-48DB-95A6-A47EAE4989F4.jpg  

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:56 AM   #11

Non of the Jayco hybrids have macerators so no need to worry.

I only allow enough antifreeze into the gray and black tanks that's from opening the faucets and toilet.

Make sure to open everything, even the heater bypass valves, when pumping in antifreeze. Even a small amount of residual water can be enough to crack a valve at the seams in a freeze. I've had it happen.

And don't forget the low point drains or the outside shower. I had to replace my outside shower after the first winter. Never had one before that and we never use it!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #12
Site Team

I found another article on winterizing, that may help with some questions you all may have.

https://familyrvingmag.com/2017/11/0...november-2017/

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:41 PM   #13

We don't get super cold in TN, but the temps do drop to the teens and mid 20s regularly during the winter months. I have never had issues with simply using my compressor with attachment to blow out the lines, making sure the water heater is drained, gray tank is empty and then dumping anti-freeze into the p-traps and black tank.
adamdsgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #14

The black tank flush system is a $450 item if the check valve freeze cracks and needs replacement. Best to put anti-freeze into it.
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:18 PM   #15

Thank you all for the advice. I ordered the pump GL243 attached, and it worked great. My camper is all winterized and put away until the spring.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
The black tank flush system is a $450 item if the check valve freeze cracks and needs replacement. Best to put anti-freeze into it.
How does one put AF into the black tank flush system??
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
How does one put AF into the black tank flush system??
Click image for larger version

Name:	004411_1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	54437

I used this hand pump recommended by GL243. Worked perfectly.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:10 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

I used this hand pump recommended by GL243. Worked perfectly.
What did you do to winterize the water line going from the external hook-up to the water tank, and the return line from the water tank to the pump?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
What did you do to winterize the water line going from the external hook-up to the water tank, and the return line from the water tank to the pump?
I’m not sure I’m understanding your question. When I began winterizing my camper, I drained all the water out of the fresh water tank, then ran the pump for a short bit to get the rest of the water out of the line. I did this with my previous camper and had no issues.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:00 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I’m not sure I’m understanding your question. When I began winterizing my camper, I drained all the water out of the fresh water tank, then ran the pump for a short bit to get the rest of the water out of the line. I did this with my previous camper and had no issues.
In some cases (like in my rig), the external water connection is at the left rear, but the water tank is right behind the driver's seat. Then the water pump is in the far rear of the rig, and it pulls water from the front tank.

So, I could have 15 feet (or more) of water lines between those two points. How do you keep that line from freezing? Push AF to the water tank and have the pump suck it back?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote