Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #1

winterizing today NEED HELP

we are trying to winterize our x17z for the first time and have no idea what i am doing…have to do it today because it is going into storage….any help out there???
skichikk18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

read the manual that came with it.

or google it

there are a lot of steps..

Dont forget your outside shower is one thing to tell you

first thing you need to do is familiarize yourself with your trailer or anything anyone says will not make sense.

Find your low point valves. Mine are under my bathroom sink in the vanity. pull up on the "t''s

next you need to find the pump and Hot water heater. Mine was under a screwed piece of plywood under my dinette

can you delay storage and drop it off at a dealer to do it for you?
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #3

This is copied from an earlier post I wrote:

Locate and check your water pump and see if has a valve and a loose piece of hose connected to it, them check the back of your water heater to see if it is equipped with a bypass valve. If so, it is a piece of cake.

Drain the entire system from the low point drains. Drain the water heater by removing the plug in the lower left corner and pull the pop off valve. You can also blow out the system with a blow out plug which requires an air compressor but this is not entirely necessary if you fill all the lines with the "pink stuff", RV antifreeze.

Once the system is drained and closed back up, you can close off the water heater with the bypass valves and suck the pink stuff up from the hose connected to the pump. Simply put the hose into the bottle, turn on the pump and it will pull the antifreeze through out the system. I put in enough so that each faucet, shower and toilet all flow pink. It takes only about 2 gallons. If you don't bypass the water heater, it will fill up taking up 6 gallons there alone.

The clear lines in the newer models make it easy to see if you are in fact bypassing the water heater and filling the lines.

After all the water outlets run pink, I put some in the drained black and gray holding tanks, and enough to fill the drain traps on each sink. I also put some in the toilet bowl, about an inch deep. This reportedly helps maintain the seal. Don't put any in the fresh water tank, just drain it to the extent possible.

This can sound complicated if you have never done this and it is hard to write a quick and easy how to, particularly when some one old and tired like me tries to!

If you have any neighbors with an RV ask them. Most are very willing to help out and lend a hand.

Ok fellow members, help out here in case I messed up!
Attached Thumbnails
2013-01-18 001 007.jpg   2013-01-18 001 008.jpg   2013-01-18 001 009.jpg   1.jpg   2013-01-18 001 004.jpg  

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

I was going to try but if they are not a little bit familiar with the terms I am sure they still won't know how to do it.

I was going to list the things to do but didn't feel comfortable as something could be missed and they end up damaging something.

The dealers have specials for winterizing. There are a lot of people who get them to do it.

there are lots of little things to worry about as well. My drain for my fresh tank has a bow in it so it collects water that if left will definitely freeze and bust the plastic fitting. I had to unscrew the hose clamp and muscle it off and drain it out.

There can be places where water will sit and you need to know where to find them
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #5

Man, I'm feeling bad you have to winterize already.

I still have the whole month of October (3 more camping trips) to go to....

BTW, Thanks Boss for the pics and the write-up. I especially liked your "cheat notes"!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #6

Thanks guys, just did it this weekend on my 17Z.

On extra step I was told was to remove the screen from the city water inlet and push the pressure relief valve inside. Sure enough, I got soaked when doing this (well only a little water came out but still was some lol).

Easy stuff.

Cheers
Tim
Thorvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #7

Yes you should open that "check valve" by the city water inlet. Better yet, You really should blow the lines out with air (from the city water connection) and including your black tank flush. BEFORE giving your RV a drink of of the koolaid. Because the air gets everwhere.

If you do blow the lines. FIRST-open all valves including low point drains, and keep the water heater bypass in "USE" position. Then the air will blow the rest of the water out of the water heater tank.
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #8

I am also a newbie and I found a local dealer who only charges $78 for winterization everything included so I am going to use them this year. Also found a storage lot for only $30 per month.

2005 Jayco Jay Feather 23B -- current
1999 Chevy Suburban 1500 -- current

2001 Coleman Bayside Elite
2003 GMC Sonoma ZR2 Quad Cab
Jhmlbrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #9

I have looked all over and cannot find any low-point drain valves with T-handles. Can anyone tell me where they are located on a Kiwi 18F?

I have looked under the seat in the dinette (I only see ball valves), under the bathroom sink, and up under the camper.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #10
Site Team

There should be two white water lines under your camper some have valves and some just have plastic caps.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #11

Water is coming out of the low point drain lines (as labeled on the outside of the camper). My setup looks similar to valves "A" and "B" above. Those valves are open. Are those my low-point drain valves? I just don't understand why the manual would show a picture of a valve with a T-handle.
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #12

Tonylmiller, The picture in your manual may be showing a pull to open, push to close T-handle instead of a valve that turns. That is the way the drains on my 17a work. If you have access to a small air compressor you can regulate the pressure down to about 30 psi and attach it to the city water connection and open each faucet one at a time until only air is escaping then move on to the next one, including flushing the toilet. This will confirm that all water is out of the lines. Hope this helps! LW
el-dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #13

I'm going to winterize my TT myself also. I'm first time RV owner, but I've learned so much from this site and online, I feel I've obtained the knowledge that I need. I learn fast.
There's one more step that I want to do. Once all the lines run pink, there will still be some pink in the bypass suction hose, I want to open the FWT supply line to let some run into there. Do I run the risk of pink flowing into my FWT, or does the supply line sit low enough that I don't need to worry about it?

Anyone here able to confirm for me?
Thanks ahead.
Lou.
AV3NGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
I have looked all over and cannot find any low-point drain valves with T-handles. Can anyone tell me where they are located on a Kiwi 18F?

I have looked under the seat in the dinette (I only see ball valves), under the bathroom sink, and up under the camper.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Worst case, take the camper over to your nearest RV place. Most are willing to show you what you need to do by showing you first hand.

Take a couple dozen donuts with you and present them to the service department to show your appretiation for the help. That too goes a long way.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 03:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Wagon View Post

Ok fellow members, help out here in case I messed up!

In your drawing of valves, valve "C" .... It's kept open during winterizing...

Do we close it for the summer ? I understand why a and b valves are adjusted in summer, to let water into hot water tank. But what function does valve C serve in summer? Does that need to be changed to closed during the summer?
WNYcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:16 PM   #16

Mine is easy. First, empty the water heater. There are five valves located near the water heater. Flip all five, suck the pink stuff through all the sinks/toilet/shower then flip the valves back and I'm done.

Don't forget to run pink stuff through the shower head.

Don't use the cheap antifreeze with ethanol in it--it will dry out the rubber in your faucets etc. Home Depot stocks the more expensive stuff; the polypropylene glycol is a good lubricant.
Old 12-11-2023, 02:39 PM   #17

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/a...2&d=1412526437 i have this same setup. i winterized yesterday, but i must have had one of the valves closed as i only got antifreeze out of the cold side. i did blow out the lines before.
CRFRICK is offline   Reply With Quote