Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #1

Wish Jayco had this layout (X214)

I like the X213, but the rear bed is deal breaker for me... (I like the tents)

I had time today, and I created my own perfect layout, and I am calling it:
"Jay Feather X214"

- Sleep 8 open, sleep 4 comfortably when close (for turtling at Walmart or truck stops)
- Aerodynamic front, same as X213 (for easy towing and MPG)
- Rear dinette is the same dinette as the X23B (big and comfy and one section can be moved)
- 2 Canvas beds
- The 2 Canvas beds make an open concept feel at the dinette, and when windows are open great for the afternoon breeze
- TV can be view from all Canvas beds and Rear dinette

I know Jayco don't visits RV forums like this one, but I really wanted to share it with all of you and get your reaction.

And if by chance this did end up (somehow) getting Jayco attention,
I give you Jayco the approval to use my design!

*Just send me one for permanent testing...

Dream Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Girl View Post
- Aerodynamic front, same as X213 (for easy towing and MPG)
Not quite as aerodynamic as you might think. The difference between this and my X20E is more in how it looks than how it deflects air. Just a little extra curve at the top.

If you can't "have it your way", I think the X20E or the 19H is actually closer to what you are looking for. You would be amazed how much extra space the slide on the X20E provides. And both of these have large windows making it feel bright inside even when you can't open the bed flaps.

Get clever with your TV mounting system. Our previous trailer had a folding TV stand so we needed a removable mount when we got a flat screen. I found the one in the photo below and now use it in my X20E. It works perfectly on the edge of the TV shelf. We can view the TV from anywhere in the trailer and from any viewing angle.

DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Not quite as aerodynamic as you might think. The difference between this and my X20E is more in how it looks than how it deflects air. Just a little extra curve at the top.

If you can't "have it your way", I think the X20E or the 19H is actually closer to what you are looking for. You would be amazed how much extra space the slide on the X20E provides. And both of these have large windows making it feel bright inside even when you can't open the bed flaps.

Get clever with your TV mounting system. Our previous trailer had a folding TV stand so we needed a removable mount when we got a flat screen. I found the one in the photo below and now use it in my X20E. It works perfectly on the edge of the TV shelf. We can view the TV from anywhere in the trailer and from any viewing angle.
I like the X20E, especially the U-dinette at the front!
The sofa is nice (and the slide out too!) but I am worry that it will not be comfortable for my 2 kids to sleep on ( I might be wrong)
to me the X20E deal breaker is the lack of counter tops and no bathtub...
Old 07-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #4

I gotta say that I have not slept on the sofa, but it is VERY comfortable. It's thicker then the mattresses on the bunk ends and I think it might be great for your kids to sleep on.

As far as lack of counter space, that's been partially alleviated for us by using a topper on the stove. Depending on how much you use your stove top that may or may not be a good option.

Bathtub. I can see that with little kids.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:17 AM   #5

Quote:
I gotta say that I have not slept on the sofa, but it is VERY comfortable. It's thicker then the mattresses on the bunk ends and I think it might be great for your kids to sleep on.

As far as lack of counter space, that's been partially alleviated for us by using a topper on the stove. Depending on how much you use your stove top that may or may not be a good option.

Bathtub. I can see that with little kids.
Regardless, the X20E is a VERY nice floor plan - I wish my dealer had one so I can see it in person.

I can't believe Jayco discontinue this model!!!!
This is probably also the best floor plan out there...
Old 07-17-2015, 11:16 AM   #6

My 16 year old sleeps on the couch of our X20E. Other than the split in the middle to allow it to fold down into a bed, which my wife now fills with a pool noodle, she has no problems and sleeps well. I may be trying it myself in a week as we may try an overnight at a Walmart as we head East to Nova Scotia

Counter space is not an issue for us. We cook and prepare most of our meals outside. I've put a piece of wood over top of the Oven/Burners. Rarely use the oven albiet we had Ribs last week after slow cooking for 4 hours. (yum)

A few mods to add shelves inside the pantry and a small move of the Radio and we've got added storage space which helps alot.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
Counter space is not an issue for us. We cook and prepare most of our meals outside. I've put a piece of wood over top of the Oven/Burners. Rarely use the oven albiet we had Ribs last week after slow cooking for 4 hours. (yum)
I cook outside to so thanks for the feedback

Quote:
My 16 year old sleeps on the couch of our X20E. Other than the split in the middle to allow it to fold down into a bed, which my wife now fills with a pool noodle, she has no problems and sleeps well. I may be trying it myself in a week as we may try an overnight at a Walmart as we head East to Nova Scotia
When turtling - can you fit 2 teenagers on that couch?

When the slide out is closed -
1. Can you set up a single bed on the floor between the couch and the kitchen?
2. Do you have access to the bathroom?
Old 07-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #8

If you cook outside then think about this switch-a-roo. I pulled my stove out and moved the microwave down in its place. The side opening (stove) is the same size so the only thing you have to do is move the power down and that was easy. Made a cutting board to fit flush with the counter top. On the microwave opening I found a used kitchen cabinet door, removed the wood center, stained it to match and added glass to match the glass in my cabinets over the sofa.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
If you cook outside then think about this switch-a-roo. I pulled my stove out and moved the microwave down in its place. The side opening (stove) is the same size so the only thing you have to do is move the power down and that was easy. Made a cutting board to fit flush with the counter top. On the microwave opening I found a used kitchen cabinet door, removed the wood center, stained it to match and added glass to match the glass in my cabinets over the sofa.
WOW! that look so GOOD!!!! great idea and great JOB!!!
Old 07-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #10

I didn't realize you had teens. Teens can sleep anywhere, even a hard floor. I'm sure they'd be fine on the sofa.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #11

Quote:

Great work!
Old 07-18-2015, 08:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Girl View Post
I cook outside to so thanks for the feedback

When turtling - can you fit 2 teenagers on that couch?

When the slide out is closed -
1. Can you set up a single bed on the floor between the couch and the kitchen?
2. Do you have access to the bathroom?
Haven't turtled yet, but based on what I see, No, I don't think 2 teens would fit without a war if siblings. Putting something on the floor to sleep could be done, but it would be snug. I'm sure you could still get to the bathroom with a bit of effort. I assume the U-bed/dinette is reserved for yourself? LOL

Quote:
Thanks Tunce. I've shown that mod of yours to my DW previously. She likes it but doesn't want to do it. She stores all her Pots/pans in the Oven so it's still functional.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #13

Quote:
I didn't realize you had teens. Teens can sleep anywhere, even a hard floor. I'm sure they'd be fine on the sofa.
My kids are not teens yet, but they will be someday!

Quote:
I assume the U-bed/dinette is reserved for yourself? LOL
My self and my partner (we are very tall)