Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2022, 01:51 PM   #21
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Never thought of that. Sunrise on June 21 here is at 4 am. I have often wondered about the comfort of sleeping with a breeze underneath. It seldom is warm at night; most often about 45.
Hey, do they allow Texans in Maine? 45 at night!
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:05 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to Carlosrod Send a message via MSN to Carlosrod Send a message via Yahoo to Carlosrod
Yes I would, IF it was large eneough

Started with a Coleman High Wall, but it was too much work for set-up and take-down. From there, graduated to a Forest River Shamrock and we loved it. Had the canvass beds at each end, and an island kitchen area. As the kids grew, so did the camper. Now we have a 29 ft Jayco JayFeather which I'm not really fond if. Seems like as the years go on, they give up more and more on quality for weight. The Shamrock was built solid. If Forest River ever come out with a 30 foot hybrid with plenty of living space, I'd buy it. Having those ends opened up in the woods, made it feel like you were in a cabin and not a camper. It was great. So, Yes, I would.
Carlosrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:28 PM   #23

Liked mine, but not in Texas. Too hot
crmillsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Haven't had a hybrid for a few reasons.
They are not permitted in bear country out west in some frontcountry areas.. Areas we do like to car camp in.

We live in the woods. Any canvas has to be aired out and checked periodically for mice infestation. I used to have canvas canoe packs and the mice made holes in them in the paddle shed. Trying to do this periodic check mid winter ( we typically have three feet of snow on the trailer) is not my idea of fun.

Our TT is shorter and fits in the 26 foot length of most backcountry campsites around here. Now there are only two of us.. If you have seven and can check on the trailer year round and air it out of course your experience will be different.
We too have the 212QB and for the two of us it's perfect. We don't spend much time in it, unless lousy weather, as we're always exploring. Tows easy and it's easy to maneuver in tight spaces.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 03:01 PM   #25

Love our 2008 23B

We purchased a 2008 23B back in 2017. Had a pop-up before. We love it. Small and lower to the ground and fairly easy to pull. We have done many modifications to suit our specific needs. Ours seems to be aging well as we are on our 5th year and so far, no major issues. I think they built them better back then. Leaving in a week for another 14 day camp trip in a state park. Can't wait.

2008 Jay Feather 23B
Hansoncarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:07 PM   #26

Our 2015 X23B has been flawless. Very easy to tow. Comfortable. I've enjoyed making simple modifications/upgrades.
Gary_LHC_Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:51 PM   #27

Not another hybrid

Started with a pop up bought a 2013 X20E , terrible mattress on the bunks. Pain making the beds up and tearing them down each time is getting harder.
Ours has the Jayco spongy floor, our dealer waited till our warranty was almost up to fix it , the fix didn’t last 2 months. Jayco said too bad.
Inspector4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:05 PM   #28

I like the one we have and I would buy it again. If I could find a solid unit with the exact same bed layout and size, I would buy it.
Old 06-11-2022, 05:32 PM   #29

We love ours, and would buy it again most likely. We do always have a case of 2 footitis, and would probably get a 23B over the 19H as we do find the dinette sofa space pretty tight on rainy days.

But in reality, with retirement looming and expectation of half-time RVing, we will probably be moving up even further into a full hard-side in the 30' range.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector4 View Post
Started with a pop up bought a 2013 X20E , terrible mattress on the bunks. Pain making the beds up and tearing them down each time is getting harder.
Ours has the Jayco spongy floor, our dealer waited till our warranty was almost up to fix it , the fix didn’t last 2 months. Jayco said too bad.
Tip for making the beds. We do it as a 2 person job. I'm outside, DW is inside. I unzip the screen and window from outside. Then I make the outside edge/half while my DW does the inside half. When done, I tend to zip the screen closed again, leaving the window open. Super easy.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Tip for making the beds. We do it as a 2 person job. I'm outside, DW is inside. I unzip the screen and window from outside. Then I make the outside edge/half while my DW does the inside half. When done, I tend to zip the screen closed again, leaving the window open. Super easy.
We also share making the beds.. I am on the outside. Super fast n easy!
Gary_LHC_Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwlong19 View Post
Do other types of campers leak as much and need as much maintenance as a hybrid?
Simple answer: Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whowlett View Post
Several time I woke up from a droplet falling on my forehead, and in a very damp bed.
When it is cool out; leave the bathroom roof vent cracked open1/2" to 1". Also unzip the side window on each bunk. We pull the zippers up to the highest point, then unzip them about 2-3" each. Then pull the window cover back, so there is a gap. Once we started doing this we NEVER have had any condensation issues. We also do not have any Hypervent under the bunks. Since doing the above, we also have no condensation under the mattress. We tend to camp early and late season and camp down to about 20 degrees in our unit.

Hope this helps

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:30 PM   #33

We gave up the tent thing due to a disastrous camping trip with a tent we went pop up. Loved it but thought too small and went bigger. Added an electric rise to the unit. That is when all hell broke loose. Nothing but electrical issues. Fixed it and traded it in for a 21 foot trailer only 2 years later traded for a bunk model. I miss my first trailer. Real cozy and nice no problems. Went camping in it across country and nothing wrong until I went with an electric anode rod. Great device and it developed a crack. The company is sending me free of charge a brand new one. But this one also was installed without a washer or something to keep it from leaking. But after this? No problems so far. So for now I will keep the bunk model even though I want to trade it for something without bunks and maybe go back to my jayco sleeps three model. Who knows. All I know is it works for now.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:57 PM   #34

We had a x17z which was a good size for the two of us. However, condensation problems and a pain in the ass to get ready to leave in the morning made the decision easy to get a 212QB. No condensation problems when it's 40 and raining for three days or two inches of snow. DW gets her chores done and has time to offer her help to moi.
ElRey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:40 AM   #35

Being able to open up three sides of the sleeping areas is a must for us. We camp with no electricity every July and the nights can be quite warm.
Old 06-12-2022, 05:36 PM   #36

We leave our 19H at a seasonal site. It's great for the breeze and the kids and the "tent feel", but it's not so much fun opening and closing it all the time. We close it up 80% of the time when we leave for the weekend to keep the canvas in good shape.

We are looking to get a bigger camper that's not a hybrid, where we can just close the door behind us and head home when ready without having to deal with the bunk ends.
Old 06-13-2022, 06:33 AM   #37

We just sold our 2003 Designer 12F5 pop up last year. We just didn't use it as much as we used to. It was sad to see her go. But the little 5 year old girl was so excited they were getting a camper and I could tell it would be taken care of. Didn't hurt that we sold it for what we paid for it 10 years later. Now, about the hybrids. We don't have one, yet. And might not for a few more years. But after looking around for one I didn't see any with a slide out. Our pop-up had a slide out that really opened up the floor space. I was looking at the Jayfeathers. Like someone else had mentioned, I got tired of climbing inside to put the poles in place over the beds. But I like the concept of the beds just folding out on the hybrids.
jbird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:40 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird68 View Post
... I didn't see any with a slide out.
The x23B has a slide out.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:46 AM   #39

Making beds? Nope. Why work so hard? We came from tenting and a pop-up. We weren't staying in a motel. We threw down a nice mattress pad, then an unfolded sleeping bag on top of that. Adds the extra cushion needed and takes less about a minute to "make" beds"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird68 View Post
But after looking around for one I didn't see any with a slide out. Our pop-up had a slide out that really opened up the floor space. I was looking at the Jayfeathers.
Our X20E had a slide out.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:27 AM   #40

Nope, never again. This X23E has been a PITA since day one. 99% of it around this one side bunk. First it was installed out of kilter in the hole. Making it very hard to open/close. Send it to the shop for 5 months to get that fixed (that is another story). Get it back only to find that the J channel is ripping on the canvas of the same bunk. Back to the shop for another 5 months to get that fixed. Now the same bunk it seems that the bunk is warped and allowing water in the seal when the bunk is closed.
I love pulling the trailer, pulls great! We have used it a few times to go camping and enjoy the camper, but if I can't keep the water out of it I have to get rid of it.
ScottinOkla is offline   Reply With Quote