Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2022, 07:09 AM   #1

Would You Buy Another Hybrid

I have owned everything but a motor home. Our best trailer was our 5 th wheel. Our pop up was too much work setting up. Our trailer was too long and hard to pull. Our hybrid is easy to pull. Best MPG for the size and weight. Roomy and easy to set up. The most work keeping it in shape. I think we have repaired 8 or 9 leaks. Don't say you don't have any you just don't see it. When I went to update my flooring what a surprise! After all of that i still would purchase another hybird. We just love the experience. Would you purchase another of not and why?
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 07:29 AM   #2

Absolutely would buy another.

We've had zero leaks. Setup/teardown for us has never been an issue. With the 23B, there is plenty of room, and everything has its place. Only issue we have had, is the common front bunk canvas pulling away. Fixed with a few additional screws and washers.

I wish, I could buy a low height/profile 5ver htt, based on the 23B layout. Front bunk being fixed. The back bunk fold down.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 07:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by campersam9 View Post
I have owned everything but a motor home. Our best trailer was our 5 th wheel. Our pop up was too much work setting up. Our trailer was too long and hard to pull. Our hybrid is easy to pull. Best MPG for the size and weight. Roomy and easy to set up. The most work keeping it in shape. I think we have repaired 8 or 9 leaks. Don't say you don't have any you just don't see it. When I went to update my flooring what a surprise! After all of that i still would purchase another hybird. We just love the experience. Would you purchase another of not and why?
Haven't had a hybrid for a few reasons.
They are not permitted in bear country out west in some frontcountry areas.. Areas we do like to car camp in.

We live in the woods. Any canvas has to be aired out and checked periodically for mice infestation. I used to have canvas canoe packs and the mice made holes in them in the paddle shed. Trying to do this periodic check mid winter ( we typically have three feet of snow on the trailer) is not my idea of fun.

Our TT is shorter and fits in the 26 foot length of most backcountry campsites around here. Now there are only two of us.. If you have seven and can check on the trailer year round and air it out of course your experience will be different.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 07:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Absolutely would buy another.

We've had zero leaks. Setup/teardown for us has never been an issue. With the 23B, there is plenty of room, and everything has its place. Only issue we have had, is the common front bunk canvas pulling away. Fixed with a few additional screws and washers.
X2 exactly & upgrade’s along the way makes it just perfect for us. And quality built ( 2010) era.
Attached Thumbnails
370DAD25-8C5C-4E53-8820-FB61AA50ACBF.jpg  
Old 06-03-2022, 08:02 AM   #5

I added removable Lexan panels to the front & rear bunk ends that really open it up like your truly living outside. When it’s rather cool out early spring & late fall we still have great full time views and it’s warm inside.
Left the film on for ya so you could see for yourself
When it’s raining out you still leave it open on the ends, makes it feel like you’re not stuck in a trailer
Attached Thumbnails
377944CF-43EB-4CA8-AB2B-6823625E2331.jpg  
Old 06-03-2022, 08:54 AM   #6

Hybrids have always fascinated me. You get so much more real estate as the beds do not intrude on the camper proper.

I always get hung up w/ the campground noise and the thin mattress (plus what I read about needing hypervent under the mattress so it doesn't funk out). My back is strong but achy as all get out; I'd need a serious topper on that thing.

As to the noise, I guess I'd resign myself to ear plugs? We RV at resorts, no boondocking or state parks for us.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 11:47 AM   #7

Our 3 bed hybrid was great when the kids were growing up. Came from a HW popup and couldn't give up the wide open feeling. Liked the fact that we towed X' and once we got to the campground it opened up to X+'.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:06 PM   #8

We love our 2015 X23B! We are 2nd owners, having owned it for 2 years. Owned a MH previously and we found it to be too much and lacked a wide open camp experience of our younger years which included tent camping and pop-up camping. The hybrid allows for comfort in addition to the open outdoor feel. Our sleeping accommodation was improved by adding 3" memory foam and a thick mattress topper to the existing mattress.
Gary_LHC_Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:25 PM   #9

I hope we do end up with another hybrid. Had a 17Z, 23B and 2 19H's - my favorite. We went to a Greyhawk because of family considerations, but will get back in a hybrid when the grand kids aren't traveling with us anymore.

The 19H had an 18 foot box, 2 queen beds, full wet bath, and plenty of counter space. We didn't need more than that. We did winter camping without any problems, and Florida summers equally well. Went through two tornadoes; the campgrounds flooded but we weren't wrecked (spent the worst hours in the truck).

In severe weather we "turtled". That's putting the bunks up and sleeping on the dinette and sofa - didn't have to do that often.

I'm looking forward to getting back into a hybrid. It might be a Roo since Jayco isn't producing then anymore. Does anyone know for sure why they Jayco discontinued them.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:56 PM   #10

No.

I thought it would be better than a pop-up. It is slightly, in my opinion.
Next one will be a regular TT that I can make as dark as I want to so the 6am sun doesn't wake me up.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 03:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
No.

I thought it would be better than a pop-up. It is slightly, in my opinion.
Next one will be a regular TT that I can make as dark as I want to so the 6am sun doesn't wake me up.
Never thought of that. Sunrise on June 21 here is at 4 am. I have often wondered about the comfort of sleeping with a breeze underneath. It seldom is warm at night; most often about 45.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 04:00 PM   #12

Same thing as you, lot of little upkeeps, but those projects are fun, for the most part. YES I would buy another. You cannot beat the room or the experience.
First Time Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
X2 exactly & upgrade’s along the way makes it just perfect for us. And quality built ( 2010) era.
How do you keep the plexiglass in there? Not opening the canvas very often due to it being too cold or hot is my one issue with our hybrid and this could resolve that
RFryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:52 PM   #14

The bottom fits into a pocket along the lower edge and at the very top I have a 4-5” strip of Velcro to hold it in place. You can fold it up with the panel in place or just store it under the mattress. I cut mine with a RotoZip & it took about 10-15 minutes ( made a paper template, laid it on the Lexan
Old 06-06-2022, 11:07 PM   #15

In use at the ocean in October
Attached Thumbnails
4C64CDD7-80F7-4398-A293-0DEB4A1E0137.jpg  
Old 06-07-2022, 08:28 PM   #16

You can't get better than that!
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:39 AM   #17

We just sold our 2013 X20E in April. We had it for 9 years. Our previous trailer was an '03 Kiwi 17a that we had for 10 years. We are not getting another trailer, but if we did it was going to be a hard side trailer, for the sole reason that as we age climbing into the bunks was getting difficult. Otherwise we loved our hybrid trailers. The extra floor space and open feel when you open the bed flaps was awesome. It was a little sad seeing our X20E being towed away from our house.

I found 2 leaks in the 19 years of having those trailers, one was in our 17a. The Dicor on the roof joint molding at the front cap dried out and was letting a little water in. Removed the Dicor, took it apart and dried it out, and covered with Eternabond tape after putting it back together. Used Eternabond on the same joint on our X20E as PM.

The other leak was a corner of the rear bed door on the X20E. Swelled up the interior laminate a little and a slight bulge outside. The seal at the corner joint dried up and came off. Resealed, no more leak. You can't always prevent leaks, but you can inspect regular and stop them before they do serious damage.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 12:04 PM   #18

Absolutely. Have had my X23B for three years now, 67 nights in it with the kids and still going strong. I use PUGs and reflectix in the windows to keep it dark, and a little white noise generator in each bed end so the kids stay asleep.

I love the unique floor plan - 25 foot box when traveling, 35’ when opened up. Plus the couch slideout. Perfect for us, plan to have it at least ten years.
Fourkids&abeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 12:45 PM   #19

Would rather pull a pop up

Our 2007 X23B has all the comforts of home. But I dont like pulling such a big, heavy trailer, especially in mountains. If you want to dry camp or need the extra bunk space and want to be comfortable, a hybrid is definitely the best. But my only other experience is with pop ups or tents.
I haven't kept up with the caulking and paid with sub flooring that has to be replaced and roof damage.
Do other types of campers leak as much and need as much maintenance as a hybrid?
pwlong19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 01:15 PM   #20

Maybe not again….

We had a x23B for about 7 years. Loved a lot about it, inside space, storage, easy to tow. Only one issue we had was when camping when cold out (~35 degrees) the canvas picks up any moisture (your breath for example) and condensed into droplets so much the it was like raining in the bunk ends. Several time I woke up from a droplet falling on my forehead, and in a very damp bed.
Retired
whowlett is offline   Reply With Quote