Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #1

X17A vs. X17Z

Any thoughts on the X17A vs. the X17Z hybrid? The X17Z seems to be much more popular.

runnerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #2

We got our 17z before the 17A came out and enjoyed it. But hindsight being what it is, I would have gone with the 17A if it was available for the following reasons. The entry door is more centered - the 17Z has a choke point near the door. Also, the door can be open if it's raining. It can most times in the Z, but sometimes the wind will make rain come in.
More internal room if your willing to temporarily move your dinette.
Under-the-seat storage (as compared to OHC) does not bother me. In some situations I prefer it. I don't expect a lot of members to agree with that.
Those are all minor things. We went a lot of places in our 17Z and enjoyed every trip.

OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #3

Thanks for the feedback. We liked the placement of the door on the 17A but never thought of the weather aspect. We went ahead and ordered the A because we liked the tub/shower vs. just the shower. I think we would have liked the Z just as well. Can't wait to try it out!
Old 11-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #4

The Z is definitely the most readily available in Ohio but I'm thinking the X17A will become more acceptable over time. Karen and I searched the internet listings of all the dealers in the states surrounding us and only found a few of the 2013 X17A still available in upper Michigan while the Zs were still everywhere. We recently put a deposit down on a 2014 X17A that should be built this month. We are so excited!. We looked at the Zs and came very close to buying but decided to buy the A even though we have never been in side one. I personally like a bigger entrance to a trailer since there is always congestion at the door when coming and going or when preparing for a meal or shutting down for the night. I hadn't considered the wind blown rain issue but that is definitely important. Karen and I don't need the extra sleeping capacity of the Z's couch/bed since it's just the two of us. I also like the feature of a moving table since Im the bigger bellied of the two of us.

Cheers,
Alan
Old 11-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #5

Glad we're not the only ones to order a 2014 17A without actually seeing one in person. We did a lot of virtual tours on the internet. We went through the Z several times at the dealer and loved it but the A had some features we liked a little better. Hope we still like it when we get it.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #6

X17A vs. X17Z

Funny thing- the dealer I bought my x17z at had told me Jayco was canceling the x17a. Someone was misinformed.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #7

We like the couch on the X17Z. In my personal opinion, I would much rather have a comfortable couch than a larger dinette. And the "J-Steel" couch is very comfortable.

As for the wind driven rain scenario, the 17Z and 17A will have a similar issues. The 17Z has the door at the rear of the awning and the 17A has the door at the front of the awning. It looks like both could have the same issue.

One of the things we liked about the 17Z was that it was bright and I didn't feel like I was in a can. (We came from a popup where it is all open). The 17Z has a large window over the couch and over the dinette along with and a smaller window over the sink. The 17A looks like it only has a small window on the door side of the camper. The 17A does have a wardrobe (which is why it doesn't have the extra window) giving some nice storage space.

I'm sure I'd be happy with either unit and I hope you enjoy your purchase!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPenguin View Post
Funny thing- the dealer I bought my x17z at had told me Jayco was canceling the x17a. Someone was misinformed.
The dealer probably was thinking of the older X17C. That unit was not a good seller and was cancelled.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #9

X17A vs. X17Z

"We like the couch on the X17Z. In my personal opinion, I would much rather have a comfortable couch than a larger dinette. And the "J-Steel" couch is very comfortable."

X2!
Old 11-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #10

We recently traded our '03 Kiwi 17A, ancestor to the X17A and X17Z. If we were looking at that size today, it would be tough choice. Our X20E has a small wardrobe closet. It only hold a few jackets and some misc. items on the bottom. We miss the big one that our Kiwi had. So the X17A would be appealing to us for that reason alone. On the other hand, our X20E has the J-Steel couch, and as Penguin said, very comfortable! And its nice to have that kind of comfort on rainy days or when we get up and aren't ready to go outside yet. So one vote for the X17Z. The X17Z also has two large windows, the A only has one. We choose our Kiwi over a Cub in part because it also had two large window that let in a lot of light. That may not seem important because you can open the flaps on the bed, but on a rainy or chilly day it can make the trailer feel more "open".