Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2014, 06:06 AM   #1

X17z bike rack for camper

Is there a bike rack I can attach to the bumper of my 2015 x17z? We want to bring our bikes but they won't fit in the tow vehicle and we usually have a kayak on the roof of the tow vehicle.

skichikk18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #2

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't believe that bumper is strong enough to mount anything from it.

We ran into the same problem with the hybrid, tow vehicle, bikes (usually 4 mountain bikes) and 2 kayaks. Decided to go with the bikes in/on the tow vehicle, with one of the Sea Eagle inflatable tandem kayaks.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #3

From what I have read it is not advisable. there are some you can buy or build that go over tongue of trailer but the 17z already has a tongue weight of over 400 and then rack and bikes up there it starts to add up. we have a 17z and still have to load bikes in the tv.
ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #4

Did you look in to the rear bumper attachment? Made for 4 or 4.5 inch square bumpers- they clamp in and can hold 2 or 4 bikes. Just installed mine a week ago and was on sale and had good reviews. Mike
Old 07-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #5

Depending on your tow vehicle you might be able to use a front mount receiver hitch and rack.

The 17Z rear bumper is ornamental at best.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkeg15 View Post
Did you look in to the rear bumper attachment? Made for 4 or 4.5 inch square bumpers- they clamp in and can hold 2 or 4 bikes. Just installed mine a week ago and was on sale and had good reviews. Mike
While the bike rack may be strong, the weak point is the structure (or LACK of structure) of the X17Z's bumper. It is a 2 x 4 C-Channel and, as stated before, is really only ornamental.

However, in general, light weight RV bumpers are not meant for 100+ pound loads (3 bikes + rack weight) with dynamic transport accelerations. We had a camping friend who arrived at their destination only to see their bumper and bikes gone -- where? They think it may have happened on the Mass Turnpike, but really had no idea. Imagine being the person behind them and finding that hunk of metal in the middle of the road.

Most folks think that if a trailer bumper can carry a spare tire, it can carry bikes. But the reality is that the bikes are projected further away from the bumper and the bumper experiences quite a bit of torsion loading due to the leverage (hence the weld cracks in the pictures below).

Unless the bumper is a truly structural member, the only real solution for carrying bikes on the rear of a trailer is to weld/bolt a trailer hitch directly to the frame. The bumper attachments are just not robust enough to carry the dynamic torsional load.

Check out these pictures of a failed 4x4 bumper:

Old 07-15-2014, 06:11 AM   #7

Put the bikes in the camper. The bumper as others have said, is not made for the stresses of a load bouncing on it as you travel down the road.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #8

Some people have made their own receivers that bolt to the frame points. Unless you are a welder or have free help, it's an expensive option. Then the cargo capacity for the X17's is pretty low and if you care about keeping under it, the receiver, bike rack, bikes combo can really eat into that.

You can also buy one that bolts to the frame here:
http://www.etrailer.com/Specialty-Tr...urt/13703.html
Old 07-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #9

With these frames on the ultra light trailers, I'd be concerned about drilling holes in them to mount a hitch. In fact, there are so many holes in the frame already it might be hard to bolt anything to it. Welding is probably the best bet if you want to add a bike rack. I'd wait until the unit was out of warranty to do that.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #10

Depending on the space on your receier/hitch, you may be able to use one of these: http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-R...an/S64955.html
We have the same problem - TV full of 'stuff' & kayaks on the top. We used that rack when towing our (previous) popup - it worked great! Now with a HTT & WDH style that we have, there isn't quite enough space for the rack but we have space in the HTT for 1 or 2 bikes.