Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2014, 05:06 AM   #1

X17z bike rack for camper

Is there a bike rack I can attach to the bumper of my 2015 x17z? We want to bring our bikes but they won't fit in the tow vehicle and we usually have a kayak on the roof of the tow vehicle.
skichikk18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #2

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't believe that bumper is strong enough to mount anything from it.

We ran into the same problem with the hybrid, tow vehicle, bikes (usually 4 mountain bikes) and 2 kayaks. Decided to go with the bikes in/on the tow vehicle, with one of the Sea Eagle inflatable tandem kayaks.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:01 AM   #3

From what I have read it is not advisable. there are some you can buy or build that go over tongue of trailer but the 17z already has a tongue weight of over 400 and then rack and bikes up there it starts to add up. we have a 17z and still have to load bikes in the tv.
ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #4

Did you look in to the rear bumper attachment? Made for 4 or 4.5 inch square bumpers- they clamp in and can hold 2 or 4 bikes. Just installed mine a week ago and was on sale and had good reviews. Mike
Old 07-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #5

Depending on your tow vehicle you might be able to use a front mount receiver hitch and rack.

The 17Z rear bumper is ornamental at best.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkeg15 View Post
Did you look in to the rear bumper attachment? Made for 4 or 4.5 inch square bumpers- they clamp in and can hold 2 or 4 bikes. Just installed mine a week ago and was on sale and had good reviews. Mike
While the bike rack may be strong, the weak point is the structure (or LACK of structure) of the X17Z's bumper. It is a 2 x 4 C-Channel and, as stated before, is really only ornamental.

However, in general, light weight RV bumpers are not meant for 100+ pound loads (3 bikes + rack weight) with dynamic transport accelerations. We had a camping friend who arrived at their destination only to see their bumper and bikes gone -- where? They think it may have happened on the Mass Turnpike, but really had no idea. Imagine being the person behind them and finding that hunk of metal in the middle of the road.

Most folks think that if a trailer bumper can carry a spare tire, it can carry bikes. But the reality is that the bikes are projected further away from the bumper and the bumper experiences quite a bit of torsion loading due to the leverage (hence the weld cracks in the pictures below).

Unless the bumper is a truly structural member, the only real solution for carrying bikes on the rear of a trailer is to weld/bolt a trailer hitch directly to the frame. The bumper attachments are just not robust enough to carry the dynamic torsional load.

Check out these pictures of a failed 4x4 bumper:

Old 07-15-2014, 05:11 AM   #7

Put the bikes in the camper. The bumper as others have said, is not made for the stresses of a load bouncing on it as you travel down the road.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #8

Some people have made their own receivers that bolt to the frame points. Unless you are a welder or have free help, it's an expensive option. Then the cargo capacity for the X17's is pretty low and if you care about keeping under it, the receiver, bike rack, bikes combo can really eat into that.

You can also buy one that bolts to the frame here:
http://www.etrailer.com/Specialty-Tr...urt/13703.html
Old 07-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #9

With these frames on the ultra light trailers, I'd be concerned about drilling holes in them to mount a hitch. In fact, there are so many holes in the frame already it might be hard to bolt anything to it. Welding is probably the best bet if you want to add a bike rack. I'd wait until the unit was out of warranty to do that.

From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #10

Depending on the space on your receier/hitch, you may be able to use one of these: http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-R...an/S64955.html
We have the same problem - TV full of 'stuff' & kayaks on the top. We used that rack when towing our (previous) popup - it worked great! Now with a HTT & WDH style that we have, there isn't quite enough space for the rack but we have space in the HTT for 1 or 2 bikes.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #11

I agree with wght load and
Changed my mind. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #12

Holy crap, I am glad I saw this, I was going to make one for my hitch, but just fabed one out of 2x4's and an old bike rack this weekend and installed it in the bed of my truck
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #13

Ok, I stand to change again. According To Starcraft - 100 lb. bumper. My rack is 35 lbs. the bikes are 27 and 31 and give several lbs for tie downs. Starcraft did not recommend anything as the rep said she couldn't. She did say in reality common sense prevails. She also said welds can fatigue if used improperly and if common sense fails.

I called the manufacturer of the rack- no pending or past lawsuits.....no concerns whatsoever as long as the buyer stays within their tts specs. The call concluded with we sell many and again what I heard over and over again- common sense prevails.

I placed 6 calls to large dealers with services and stores. One has witnessed repairs and it was on an older TT where rust and lack of common sense and that the TT had obvious signs of wear and used out of specs- generator with coolers etc. However- the remaining 5- have all stated they have not heard or have they seen a horror story and as long as common sense and manufactures specs are used- there should be no problems. They all sell and install them and have yet to have a complaint or report. As to the stories- each echoed there are always stories and stories behind the stories.

I have three friends that use either bike racks or cargo trays and each report they have no problems and check integrity regularly. One friend admitted to going beyond specs- now that may be a pending story! He is now aware and says he will be more cautious.

Of course the response will be from
Many reading this- better safe then sorry- don't use one! But really, If you have another way- and it doesn't conflict with your plans it needs I would not use it.

I am going to use mine. It is good quality, well within specifications and the welds and bumper are completely sound. The trip planned is 3 hours- highway. I plan on the 55 to 60 mph speed and careful adjustment in driving over bridge joints, etc.....but isn't this how we already drive? I will of course take it with even more caution. I have a rear camera that can also monitor the rear. I also have two area extremely accessible for cross welds from the complete frame to add extra support and will have this done in the fall or early next spring. That I can absolutely assure will be done. For those of you with tts equipped with the step receiver to access the latches for the release and securing of the fold outs- my rear receivers are located just below the rear bumper at either end and can easily be used for equipping extra welded support.

I don't know about your TT. I can't say either way. Check specs, see if you have an alternative you can easily use....or want to use. Use common sense, inspect and be overly cautious.

In ending- I know many reading will not agree or think this is a disaster waiting to happen. I will again point to my calls and in my case the specs I will be using. I will point out there are always horror stories. I will also say that as a retired state trooper with 25 years covering areas of national forest etc, I have never come across this. One of my friends I mentioned above-not the out of specs one- is currently a state trooper and works commercial vehicles and he had never heard of this problem. He is well aware of weld and stress failure and practices loading toward the TT for better load carrying and movement.

It is very possible to happen if you are out of specs, have poor/worn equipment, don't operate with care
Or.......have no common sense.

Horror stories are a good reminder to use common sense. That I thank all of you for- for bringing me concerns and therefore directing me to be very aware of what "can"possibly happen.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #14

My only thought is there are forces beyond the static weight of the rack, bikes and accessories, that occur while the trailer is traveling over the roads. Physics at play, might offer some unpleasant surprises some time down the road. Like they say, proceed at your own risk in these cases. You've certainly done a lot of research to provide you with some positive reasons to proceed.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkeg15 View Post
Ok, I stand to change again. According To Starcraft - 100 lb. bumper. My rack is 35 lbs. the bikes are 27 and 31 and give several lbs for tie downs. Starcraft did not recommend anything as the rep said she couldn't. She did say in reality common sense prevails. She also said welds can fatigue if used improperly and if common sense fails.
I personally still wouldn't do it being at 95% of the load capacity. But then again, my engineering background makes me conservative by nature about structural issues.

To mitigate the risk, I would recommend keeping an eye out for small cracks next to the welds in the heat affected zones, as that is where the steel will begin to fail. I would inspect regularly, especially if more bikes are added or after a bumpy ride. It does not take too long for a crack to propogate once it has formed.

The OP asked about advice for an X17Z. My recommendation strongly stands for that model as the bumper is extremely flimsy and cannot take the kind of loading.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:31 AM   #16

It looks like I will be making up a receiver to bolt onto my X17C frame. We need someplace to put the bikes and the tongue weight is pretty ridiculous already. I have some pictures from some people that have done this already that I collected a while ago. I'll try and find the original posts, but if I can't, I'll just post them here later for reference for what I'll be doing.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allamuchy Joe View Post
I personally still wouldn't do it being at 95% of the load capacity. But then again, my engineering background makes me conservative by nature about structural issues.

To mitigate the risk, I would recommend keeping an eye out for small cracks next to the welds in the heat affected zones, as that is where the steel will begin to fail. I would inspect regularly, especially if more bikes are added or after a bumpy ride. It does not take too long for a crack to propogate once it has formed.

The OP asked about advice for an X17Z. My recommendation strongly stands for that model as the bumper is extremely flimsy and cannot take the kind of loading.
Saw this one on the way home from Vermont yesterday. Looks like the bumper was overloaded by bikes -- notice how the bike rack is not even close to being parallel to the rear trailer bulkhead. Don't be behind this guy when there are bikes on this rack!

Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper w bike.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	14320
Old 07-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #18

I hope that was shot by your passenger...otherwise I would follow the TT with the bike and not the one with the driver taking photos lol!!

But seriously- what the heck? Maybe an IQ test before buying a TT- or at least a minimum level of common sense? Great example!
Old 07-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #19

Yes, the passenger, aka "the wife", snapped the shot on the NY State thruway a few days ago.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #20

I had the bumper of my last trailer reinforced by a welder to be able to hold the bikes. My brother was following me in his trailer and because there is so much bouncing in the rear of the TT one of the bikes managed to get loose from the attachment points on my thule bike rack and i almost lost it. Good thing there are many straps and such holding them on or i would have lost at least 1 of them. it was almost dragging on the ground by the lock.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote