Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #1

X17Z Bunk Ends

Hello...love my X17Z ... have already done a few Mods (Screen Door Handle), ( Replaced Jensen Radio with Pioneer Car Stereo & 5.25 Tri-axel speakers), (Coat Hooks)...my question is this? The Window "Flap" material? The ends are the DuraTek as used on Bunk End Roof, why not the side window "flaps".....it looks as if its a lightweight fabric. Is this as durable(waterproof) as roof and ends?
colport833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #2

My wife and I have wondered the same thing on out X23F. I keep forgeting to ask the dealer when we are there. I'm interested in seeing the responses.
clearymj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #3

I just found a post...and a member said they are "Sunbrella"....they use it on Bimini Tops on Boats, Commercial Awnings Etc....Sunbrella says its Water resistant....it comes treated from factory, I guess after this season I will give a treatment to make sure...funny my Old 2004 Coleman Pop-Up had the Vinyl Ends and sides...
colport833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #4

Good or bad, we hit our ends up with scotch guard, including flaps. (Suggested from a friend with a pup). We have seen heavy rains thus far. We were cozy and dry. We figure it could not hurt.
SBruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #5

The sides are Sunbrella. I wish all 3 sides were made of it. Sunbrella is breathable, does not mildew, is fire resistant, does not fade, crack, and water proof. If you remove the water proofing, by cleaning it with chemicals, do not use scotch guard it will harm some of the qualities of Sunbrella. You need to use a product like 303's High Tech Fabric Guard.

Fleetwood wanted to lower the production cost of its Coleman PUs and used "CamperTex" for its main tenting with only small sections of Sunbrella. It did not go over well.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhdoc View Post
The sides are Sunbrella. I wish all 3 sides were made of it. Sunbrella is breathable, does not mildew, is fire resistant, does not fade, crack, and water proof. If you remove the water proofing, by cleaning it with chemicals, do not use scotch guard it will harm some of the qualities of Sunbrella. You need to use a product like 303's High Tech Fabric Guard.
This has not been my experience with either my previous RV popup or my current HTT. Scotch Guard sprayed liberally (many coats) did nothing untoward to the fabric in either trailer and the fabric was just like it was before the Scotch Guard was applied i.e. like new.
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:12 AM   #7

I had a severe thunderstorm this past weekend and everything stayed bone dry on the inside.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoses View Post
This has not been my experience with either my previous RV popup or my current HTT. Scotch Guard sprayed liberally (many coats) did nothing untoward to the fabric in either trailer and the fabric was just like it was before the Scotch Guard was applied i.e. like new.
Does the Sunbrella still breath?

I had a PU from 1999 to 2010 that had Sunbrella tenting. I camped in 100s of nights over the years that I had it, in all four seasons. The tenting still looked brand new when I traded it in. Never had a leak. My 2010 17Z has not needed any cleaning of the Sunbrella except to brush loose dirt off. It hasn't needed to be re-waterproofed. I like to take care of my items the proper way so that they will last.

The following is from Glen Raven's website. They are the makers of Sunbrella.

When cleaning Sunbrella fabrics, it is important to observe the following:

Always use a mild soap such as Ivory Snow, Dreft or Woolite.
Water should be cold to lukewarm.
Rinse thoroughly to remove all soap residue.
Air dry only. Never apply heat to Sunbrella fabrics.

General or light cleaning

To clean Sunbrella fabric while still on an awning frame, follow these simple steps:

Brush off loose dirt.
Hose down.
Prepare a cleaning solution of water and mild soap such as Ivory Snow, Dreft or Woolite (no detergents).
Use a soft bristle brush to clean.
Allow cleaning solution to soak into the fabric.
Rinse thoroughly until all soap residue is removed.
Air dry.
May not require re-treatment depending on the age of the fabric.

If stubborn stains persist, you can use a diluted chlorine bleach/soap mixture for spot cleaning of mildew, roof run-off or other similar stains
(see our Stain chart for specific recommendations).
Heavy cleaning for stubborn stains and mildew

View the Sunbrella fabric Stain chart.

Sunbrella fabric does not promote mildew growth, however, mildew may grow on dirt and other foreign substances that are not removed from the fabric. To clean mildew, or other stubborn stains:

Eight ounces (1 cup) of chlorine bleach.
Two ounces (1/4 cup) of mild soap and/or detergent.
One gallon of water.
Clean with soft bristle brush.
Allow mixture to soak into fabric for up to 15 minutes.
Rinse thoroughly until all soap residue is removed.
Air dry.
Repeat if necessary.
Re-treatment of fabric for water and stain resistance will be necessary.

Remember to protect the area around your Sunbrella fabric if using a bleach solution. Carpet or other fabrics that are not Sunbrella may have an adverse reaction to the bleach. If an awning is suitable in size for a washing machine, these steps should be followed:

Use mild soap and/or detergent.
For heavier stains add 1 cup of bleach to wash.
Wash and rinse in cold water.
Air dry. Never apply heat to Sunbrella.
Re-treatment for water and stain resistance will be necessary after machine washing.

Re-treating the fabric

As part of the finishing process, Sunbrella fabrics are treated with a fluorocarbon finish, which enhances water repellency. This finish is designed to last for several years, but must be replenished after a thorough cleaning. Based on test results, Glen Raven recommends 303 High Tech Fabric Guard™ as the preferred re-treatment product for Sunbrella fabrics. Fabrics should be re-treated after thorough cleaning or after five years of use.
Applying 303 High Tech Fabric Guard

303 should be applied to Sunbrella fabrics after each thorough cleaning, which typically removes the original finish and reduces the fabric’s water repellency.

Clean Sunbrella fabric, using one of the cleaning methods.
Allow Sunbrella to completely air dry.
Apply 303 Fabric Guard in a well ventilated area following instructions on the container.
Apply 303 in a thin, even coat and allow fabric to dry completely.
Apply a second thin, even coating of 303. (Two light coatings are more effective in restoring fabric water resistance than a single heavy coating. A 15-ounce bottle provides coverage of up to 50 square feet of fabric.)

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #9

I may have to give the scotchguard a good think. 303 is highly recommended from everything I have read. It was so one sided I had to look at the msds ingredients. Very similar. Mineral spirits vs acetone and naptha. Sunbella finishes their product with fluorocarbons. Scotchguard has bonded fluoro chemicals and carbon dioxide. Aka fluorocarbons. Seems petty close for less money.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhdoc View Post
Does the Sunbrella still breath?
You bet it does. As a matter of fact it looks and feels no different from before the application, and I cannot tell that it is there. All I know is that I go through all kinds of rain events and the canvas does not wick or leak so it must be working.

Glen Raven may recommend the 303 product but it does not prohibit Scotch Guard. It could be that they have an arrangement which has Glenn Raven push the Fabric Guard .... who knows. All I know is 3M is a proven company with a proven product that works just fine and does not hurt the canvas ... all for cheaper. Good enough for me.
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #11

One thing to mention that I have read for warranty folks, one write up says he will not guarantee scotch guard users. Cant say if that is true, so check first