Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2017, 08:40 AM   #21

That is expensive in Canada. You would need 28 feet for two beds, since its sold by the foot and 39 inches wide, at $9.59 a foot thats a total of $268.00. Here is a link to the cheapest place I have found, not sure if they ship to Canada.

Hypervent Condensation Prevention Matting
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #22

Ya just called marine outfitters and it would still cost over $500 to do both my beds! Alternately this cedar breather is 148$ for a 200 sq. feet roll at a place called spar marathon roofing supplies. It's around the same price at roof mart too. Like I said someone on the escape Rv forum said cedar breather works wonderfully as its a very similar product. I'm just not sure how much 200 sq. feet will cover as my math is not so good but I may go and check it out and if I like the look of it buy it and try it hopefully with out cutting it so I can return it if it does not work. Still looking and researching in the meantime but want to fix this problem asap.
Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:51 AM   #23

Like I said we would get slapped with that nasty duty charge when shipping from the USA. Still looking around but it seems its gonna cost a lot here. A marine store here mentioned something similar from ikea but all I could find was this....

LURÖY Slatted bed base - Queen - IKEA

Completely different product as its a wood box spring replacer. The dimensions are perfect but would be bulky to transport and each one weighs 22 pounds.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javin View Post
Ya just called marine outfitters and it would still cost over $500 to do both my beds! Alternately this cedar breather is 148$ for a 200 sq. feet roll at a place called spar marathon roofing supplies. It's around the same price at roof mart too. Like I said someone on the escape Rv forum said cedar breather works wonderfully as its a very similar product. I'm just not sure how much 200 sq. feet will cover as my math is not so good but I may go and check it out and if I like the look of it buy it and try it hopefully with out cutting it so I can return it if it does not work. Still looking and researching in the meantime but want to fix this problem asap.
I looked at similar construction products like this but the problem was they compressed under weight and would not allow any airflow. They Hypervent is very rigid and does not compress, before you buy anything check it out and see if it goes flat when you press on it. You will have to cut it then they won't take it back.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #25

Yes that was my concern as well and I also looked at other construction materials. I thought of foam padding cut into strips but did not think there would be enough air flow. This Cedar breather is quite ridged as there is specs listed on the website stating how much it compresses under specific weights. After inspecting it in person at the store i felt confident that it would be a good choice, not to mention a roll gives me enough to double up the underlay making it twice as thick. Also its a fraction of the cost of hyper vent and its definitely a very similar product. I will be installing it for our next trip and will report on how it works.

Also here is the original forum post that i found out about this product.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ved-16947.html

My one question to the hyper vent users, since its sold in sections do you tape or connect them together with anything or just lay the pieces down and simply put your mattress on top?
Old 08-29-2017, 12:12 AM   #26

I just put my hypervent down with the mattress overtop.

Jayfeather 16 XRB
Ford Explorer V8
MagooIsBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:46 AM   #27

I had the same isxue with my 16xrb and cut two pieces of hypervent about 1/2" smaller than the bed and it cured our condensatoin pro lem u der the bed. I also use pop up gizmo's thermal covers over the outside
BigGrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #28

So after putting down Cedar Breather under both beds I was very pleased to find out it worked perfectly and the beds were dry underneath for the first time ever! Since it comes in a 61 ft roll i was able to double up the layers on both beds and still have 20 feet left which i plan to put under the chair cushions. I took a chance buying this product but can say now that it is a much cheaper solution for wet bed ends if you can find it from a roofing supplier.

As a bonus it made my beds more cushioned and comfortable too!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1605.jpg   IMG_1606.jpg  
Old 12-31-2017, 02:02 AM   #29

Where does the moisture go

Nice job Javin, and awesome you posted your inexpensive alternative to the hypervent material for others to see. As others state, hopefully your material won’t compress and become inefficient. My question is, well where does the moisture go now? I have seen where people say that moisture collects on the tent itself and drips on them. Does the hypervent material stop the condensation issues altogether, 1.under mattress and 2. the bunk end canvas walls/ceiling too? I have yet to camp in my hybrid, got it too late this year, I was going to try just some reflectix to save money, but sounds like I am going to have to bite the bullet on this “hypercost” stuff,,lol..
Johnboy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:26 AM   #30

Johnboy, you'll also need some cross ventilation by unzipping each side about an inch or so. I also open the vent in the bathroom about 1/4 of the way and that combination just about keeps it under total control. When it's in the mid 50s or lower I also run a small dehumidifier.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:44 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy008 View Post
Nice job Javin, and awesome you posted your inexpensive alternative to the hypervent material for others to see. As others state, hopefully your material won’t compress and become inefficient. My question is, well where does the moisture go now? I have seen where people say that moisture collects on the tent itself and drips on them. Does the hypervent material stop the condensation issues altogether, 1.under mattress and 2. the bunk end canvas walls/ceiling too? I have yet to camp in my hybrid, got it too late this year, I was going to try just some reflectix to save money, but sounds like I am going to have to bite the bullet on this “hypercost” stuff,,lol..
From my experience the moisture is simply unable to build up or be created in the first place due to the ventilation that is created by putting this material under the mattress. As mentioned before leaving the tent ends slightly unzipped helps to prevent condensation on the tent walls. The only time I keep them completely zipped up is in cold weather when I am running the heater which helps to keep things dry as well. The cedar breather material I am using is very ridgid so I'm confident it won't compress over time. Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 01-02-2018, 06:39 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieshome View Post
You will always have this problem if you don't create a barrier between the mattress and the base. Warm meeting cool equals condensation. We have found a self inflating sleeping pad on top of the mattress, solved our condensation issue.
Your solution states to put a barrier between hatch lid and mattress, but sounds like you described putting your pad on top of mattress?
Old 02-25-2018, 12:53 AM   #33

Cheaper solution

I like the idea of hypervent, but not the cost. Searching alternatives, I have seen other rv forums mentioning a product (DMX 1 STEP) which is available at Home Depot for 72.00 for 100sq ft roll. If anyone has tried it, let us know, it would be about a 1/3rd the cost for my application needs...
Old 03-12-2018, 04:57 AM   #34

I just bought a 165 RB and the previous owners indicated they had the problem with condensation. They were removing the mattress and laying over the dinette when not in use. Definitely seems like a hassle! I have a 60x70 bunk in my TT which would only need 12' of the Hypervent stuff at around $126 w/S&H compared to buying a roll of the Cedar Breather for over $200. Both seem to be pretty pricey but the Hypervent seems to be the better way to go. Is it me or am I getting this wrong?
Old 03-12-2018, 06:11 AM   #35

If the Hypervent is cheaper for your needs buy it. I have used Hypervent for years on various boats and it works great, this is its designed purpose. In the past year someone on the forum spotted the Cedar Breather and figured since it looks similar it may work, I have not heard long term how it holds up.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:51 AM   #36

We have a 2017 Jayfeather 17 and we have had the same problem from the first time we used it. I took it back and they checked for leaks and found none. Took it back a few weeks later and they ordered two new tent ends all under warranty which I know would not fix it. I too was looking at the VERY expensive underlay and chocked at the price here in Canada. I tried cardboard for just one night and it cut the moisture by 50%. That just goes to prove that it is a design flaw on jayco's behalf. Our 5 year old sleeps on the smaller rear bed and his is never damp due to his small size. We switched bunk ends for one night and the bed he was in was dry and the bed we were in, that is always dry was wet. So two adults give off enough moisture to case this problem. So many people on here say open windows, open bathroom vent use a dehumidifier. I will tell you now none of it works at all! We had three choices, sell it, spend the crazy amount of money and get the underlay. The last choice is what we have done. We get up in the morning and I have two small plastic container that I put under the mattress to allow air to flow under it. I leave them there until we want to lay down again. We camper for 46 days this past summer and the mattresses and bunk ends are in perfect shape. Maybe some day I will get the underlay but for now this work well.

This is a prominent problem with these Jayco campers. To bad Jayco wouldn't be held accountable for this flaw. Before this camper we had a 14 foot colman Bayside with two king size bed and we never had this issue at all. It must be that the plywood bunk ends insulate a lot better then the fiberglass ones used on the jayco's.

Lastly, I have never tried this underlay nor do I know anyone who has. If you look at the picture the heat/moisture escapes from around the edge of the underlay. If you are sleeping with no sheets or blankets I can see it working but when you have lots of blankets on your bed covering the area the whole way around then what. I am sure it work but how well and is it worth $500 Canadian?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Auto_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:35 AM   #37

Does the newer mattress Jayco uses, I think it's called the Teddy Bear mattress work any better with this moisture problem?
Old 03-13-2018, 06:18 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 Cruiser Rod View Post
Does the newer mattress Jayco uses, I think it's called the Teddy Bear mattress work any better with this moisture problem?
Any mattress in those conditions will do the same thing. The problem is heat is transferred from a warm body through the mattress and when the heat reaches the cold plywood condensation happens. Using Hypervent or similar creates a thermal break between the two and it stays dry.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Any mattress in those conditions will do the same thing. The problem is heat is transferred from a warm body through the mattress and when the heat reaches the cold plywood condensation happens. Using Hypervent or similar creates a thermal break between the two and it stays dry.
I understand the problem to be that it's the laminate surface the mattress lies on is the problem due to the surface is not pores meaning not breathable. My question to be detailed maybe should have been; Is Jayco's new "Teddy Bear Mattress" made with a breathable barrier or layer to provide an air flow between the bedding surface and the warmth that is generated by a warm bodied body?

Is that clearer?
Old 03-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieshome View Post
Open windows won't stop condensation under the mattress. You need a thermal barrier such as self inflating sleeping pad on top of the mattress. That solved our under mattress condensation issue
Help me here, how does a pad ON TOP pf the mattress stop condensation UNDER it? Not trying to be smart, I just don't understand. If this actually works, you just solved my problem, too.
GRUU is offline   Reply With Quote