Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #1

X17Z condensation under the mattresses

Hey guys. I own a 2014 X17z and I have been dealing with this issue since day one. We camp starting end of may till Oct. Wether is hot or cold I tend to have condensation under my mattresses. Even when it didn't rain. My fold out bed had to be replaces once by manufacturer because the top layer was bubbling up and apparently it was rotting a bit. So they replaced the whole door. This is still happening. Don't know how to stop it. Everytime wetw done camping i have to take my mattress out and let it airdry so o dobt gwt mold. Any suggestions? Questions? Fire away. Thanks guys
Tomsuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:04 AM   #2

The best product on the market to solve your problem is Hypervent Condensation Prevention Matting. I had similar problems with boat mattresses, this product was recommended and cured the problem. You can find it at Hypervent Condensation Prevention Matting, its a bit pricey but well worth the money.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsuver View Post
Hey guys. I own a 2014 X17z and I have been dealing with this issue since day one. We camp starting end of may till Oct. Wether is hot or cold I tend to have condensation under my mattresses. Even when it didn't rain. My fold out bed had to be replaces once by manufacturer because the top layer was bubbling up and apparently it was rotting a bit. So they replaced the whole door. This is still happening. Don't know how to stop it. Everytime wetw done camping i have to take my mattress out and let it airdry so o dobt gwt mold. Any suggestions? Questions? Fire away. Thanks guys
Are you sure it's dry when you're setting the bed up? I had that problem with the rear bed and it turned out to be rain leaking past the gasket when the bed was folded up. I never noticed it and was setting it up wet. They fixed it under warranty.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
Are you sure it's dry when you're setting the bed up? I had that problem with the rear bed and it turned out to be rain leaking past the gasket when the bed was folded up. I never noticed it and was setting it up wet. They fixed it under warranty.
Yeah I thought I had a leak but both fold out beds have been replaced. One of them was for factory defect and other one was for damage from the condensation. I have new fold out beds and still get the same..
Tomsuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:50 AM   #5

You will always have this problem if you don't create a barrier between the mattress and the base. Warm meeting cool equals condensation. We have found a self inflating sleeping pad on top of the mattress, solved our condensation issue.
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:34 PM   #6

What you're experiencing is really strange, especially if it's occurring in all weather conditions (hot, cold, rain, no rain, etc.). I've had my 17Z for 7 seasons and never had an issue with condensation under the mattresses. In cold weather (when you're running the furnace), be sure to unzip the bunk ends a few inches, open the windows a crack, and open the bathroom vent a little. This helps to keep the moist air circulating. We sleep in sleeping bags with a nylon shell, maybe that makes a difference?
Old 04-17-2017, 06:09 AM   #7

moisture

I recently took my 2017 x17z out for it's first camping trip and had this same problem! Haven't thought much about it till I read this. I need to further investigate. It was a cool night, had the heater going with windows open.
bretkissick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:19 AM   #8

Open windows won't stop condensation under the mattress. You need a thermal barrier such as self inflating sleeping pad on top of the mattress. That solved our under mattress condensation issue
Old 04-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #9

condensation

Susie,

Could you tell me exactly what you're using or a link would be great! You don't mean an air mattress do you?

Thanks
Bret
Old 04-17-2017, 08:18 AM   #10

Susie,

Found them just did a google search
Old 04-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #11

Ok
Old 05-15-2017, 12:17 AM   #12

We just bought some hypervent. Works like a charm to keep moisture from condensing under the mattress. I wondered why I never had condensation issues in my old pop up tt, but someone told me, that in the pop up, the mattress goes directly onto plywood - which is breathable and absorbent. In my Hybrid tt, there is a laminate coating on the bed frame which doesn't let the moisture through. The hypervent was expensive, but worth it.
MagooIsBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagooIsBoo View Post
We just bought some hypervent. Works like a charm to keep moisture from condensing under the mattress. I wondered why I never had condensation issues in my old pop up tt, but someone told me, that in the pop up, the mattress goes directly onto plywood - which is breathable and absorbent. In my Hybrid tt, there is a laminate coating on the bed frame which doesn't let the moisture through. The hypervent was expensive, but worth it.
Which way does the backing side face, up or down? Did you attach it? If not, where do you store it?

Thanks,
Dan
DanMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #14

I came into a whole bunch of 2' x 2' carpet stick on squares from work when they changed out their flooring... I ended up putting Dark Blue carpet squares on the floor and Green Carpet squares under both tent bed ends...

Have never noticed any condensation there...

Maybe something like this might help some on your situation... It really helped us with regulating temperatures inside the tent bed ends...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #15

Hi, we just threw it under the mattress with the backing to the bed mattress, coils to the laminate. We didn't affix it to the frame either, so it is moveable if needed. We just leave it on the bed frame when we close up the trailer, but we do remove the mattress and just lay it on the couch when travelling. I didn't want to leave the mattress on the bed frame with the hypervent when closed just so I don't put extra pressure/ force on the locks.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:32 PM   #16

I'm having the exact same issue with our 16XRB and its driving me a bit nuts having to flip the beds up every morning and dry it off with a towel.

Just curious how much of this hypervent do you need to buy in order to cover each bed end? I can't seem to find the mattress dimensions for my 16XRB as its parked at a storage lot but i would like to get this asap.

I thought of using something like a DRIcore sub floor under the mattress or something similar from a hardware store in order to create some sort of air flow but not sure if that would work. I'm surprise Jayco has not taken steps to minimize this problem. Every single night I have slept in my trailer I wake up to a wet mattress underneath.
Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:44 PM   #17

The specs for your TT shows queen beds which is 60x80. I tried a few different products on my boat for the same problem and only the Hypervent cured the problem.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:46 PM   #18

We bought enough to cover a little more than 3/4 of the bed. I can't remember the exact measurements as it came in a standard width. It was around $200.00. So worth the expense to protect our investment.

Jayfeather 16 XRB
Ford Explorer V8
Old 08-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #19

I have been looking around for getting hypervent in Canada and quite shocked to find out the one place is charging around $550 for my 2 bed ends (2 - 60x78 pieces)!!! People were not joking when they said it was expensive. Gonna check some local marine stores to see if I can get it cheaper. What is a good price for this stuff or a store that sells it cheapest. Here is Canada we get smacked with duty charges too.

There has been many other ideas I have found online but one that seemed promising was from another Rv forum that suggested Cedar Breather and said it worked very well for them.
Cedar Breather Underlayment from Benjamin Obdyke | Benjamin Obdyke
Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javin View Post
I have been looking around for getting hypervent in Canada and quite shocked to find out the one place is charging around $550 for my 2 bed ends (2 - 60x78 pieces)!!! People were not joking when they said it was expensive. Gonna check some local marine stores to see if I can get it cheaper. What is a good price for this stuff or a store that sells it cheapest. Here is Canada we get smacked with duty charges too.
I was looking at HyperVent Marine Mattress Ventilation Pad - Marine Outfitters - Ontario Canada ... let me know if you find it cheaper somewhere!