Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Welcome to the forum.

You could jack one wheel at a time off the ground and spin it by hand. That would be a quick way to see if you have a bearing or brake issue.
So i did that i found 2 problems on both driverside bearings were not adjusted properly. 2 someone had replaced a bearing pack on the passengerside and curshed the cage. It would only make a half a revolution before stopping a whole new bearing kit 5 hours of my time to take apart clean repack and regrease all the bearings well worth it i got my kmpl down to 16.8 to 17 thats a huge jump
Rlcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #42

I tow our X17Z with 2012 EB F150 and average 12 - 14 MPG. I wouldn't say that I can't feel it back there, but I do know its there. In tow haul the trucks runs in 5th gear most of the time. I tow around 65 mph. The worst thing you can do is try to keep up with those other guys hauling campers at 75 - 80 mph.
Jordanr8815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:46 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanr8815 View Post
I tow our X17Z with 2012 EB F150 and average 12 - 14 MPG. I wouldn't say that I can't feel it back there, but I do know its there. In tow haul the trucks runs in 5th gear most of the time. I tow around 65 mph. The worst thing you can do is try to keep up with those other guys hauling campers at 75 - 80 mph.
After towing the over the summer i've learned that 65MPH and taking 6th gear out of the transmission is a gas savor. Thanks again for all the tips.
JE78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:01 PM   #44

I'm pulling an X23B with a 2015 Chevy Traverse. In tow mode I'm getting 10 - 13 mpg, running at 65 mph and 2500 rpm. I generally run just under the gcvwr 0f 10,400 lbs. I used to pull a pop-up and got 17 - 18 mph, so I'm not too surprised at the difference - the high profile really catches the wind. When I can, I'll draft off an 18 wheeler (until they outrun me).
BigDaddyOleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #45

Welcome to the forum BigDaddyOleBoy.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #46

I just purchased a 2017 X17Z and I have a 2015 4Runner (close to the same capabilities as your Pathfinder, I guess). I'm trying to figure out what I need for a WDH w/sway control; do you have a recommendation?? I'm completely new to all of this.
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:37 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
I just purchased a 2017 X17Z and I have a 2015 4Runner (close to the same capabilities as your Pathfinder, I guess). I'm trying to figure out what I need for a WDH w/sway control; do you have a recommendation?? I'm completely new to all of this.
At the risk of having to surrender my man card, I will admit that I don't know much at all about WDH or sway control despite having our camper for about 3.5 years. I do have a WDH that was installed by the dealer, and I use it. I have towed the camper for short distances without it to get it inspected, and can absolutely tell the difference.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:21 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
At the risk of having to surrender my man card, I will admit that I don't know much at all about WDH or sway control despite having our camper for about 3.5 years. I do have a WDH that was installed by the dealer, and I use it. I have towed the camper for short distances without it to get it inspected, and can absolutely tell the difference.
WDH lifts the weight of the tongue and relocates it, and with proper adjustment relocated the load from the rear of the vehicle to the front. In doing so the trailer axle takes part of the tongue weight and the rest goes to the front tires which are used for steering. This also keeps my headlights from pointing at the stars since your vehicle will sit level as if it never had a load in the first place.
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
There are WD hitches that have sway control built in, such as the Equalizer brand, and others with a similar design.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:55 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenar View Post
WDH lifts the weight of the tongue and relocates it, and with proper adjustment relocated the load from the rear of the vehicle to the front. In doing so the trailer axle takes part of the tongue weight and the rest goes to the front tires which are used for steering. This also keeps my headlights from pointing at the stars since your vehicle will sit level as if it never had a load in the first place.
Thanks, Zenar. Actually, I did know those things. I wasn't really clear in my post. What I meant was that I knew nothing about different brands of WDH setups or how to install them.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #51

Check out etrailer. Installation videos for every WDH hitch they sell, in fact videos for a lot of the products they sell. Lots of info under each hitch description to help you understand what you are looking at.

And if you still don't know what to do or what you need don't hesitate to call them. They are excellent and will be able to guide to the right hitch for your needs.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:42 PM   #52

This actually helped.

This is my setup. 5.3 Ltr GMC. When I bought camper i was used to towing popup with a tonneau cover on truck. First trip with hybrid and was like WTF, all had to do to slow down was let off the gas and let aerodynamics take over. Since adding cap to truck, can feel a noticeable difference. I got over looking at gas guage and calculations because it would drive me insane. Also I have remedied the middle dip as seen in pic since it was taken by adding taller hitch receiver and helper springs to truck, All leveled out now, pulls like a dream. Oh and NO, I dont drive with bed open
Attached Thumbnails
20190817_072924.jpg  
Yamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamacat View Post
This is my setup. 5.3 Ltr GMC. When I bought camper i was used to towing popup with a tonneau cover on truck. First trip with hybrid and was like WTF, all had to do to slow down was let off the gas and let aerodynamics take over. Since adding cap to truck, can feel a noticeable difference. I got over looking at gas guage and calculations because it would drive me insane. Also I have remedied the middle dip as seen in pic since it was taken by adding taller hitch receiver and helper springs to truck, All leveled out now, pulls like a dream. Oh and NO, I dont drive with bed open
I was saying that might make you super aerodynamic but would probably cost you more in repairs for ripped seams lol
Old 07-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #54

SteveMM - We have a WDH installed on our X17z for our 2016 Pathfinder and it is a noticeable difference. The dealer installed it for us. However, our Pathfinders are notorious for having soft springs and even with the WDH I still had substantial sag in the rear. So last year I installed some new Dobinson rear springs and finally achieved a nice level ride with much better handling.

Not sure if you have the sag, but a WDH + new rear springs transformed the ride and pulling experience for our combination of car + trailer.
madflava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by madflava View Post
SteveMM - We have a WDH installed on our X17z for our 2016 Pathfinder and it is a noticeable difference. The dealer installed it for us. However, our Pathfinders are notorious for having soft springs and even with the WDH I still had substantial sag in the rear. So last year I installed some new Dobinson rear springs and finally achieved a nice level ride with much better handling.

Not sure if you have the sag, but a WDH + new rear springs transformed the ride and pulling experience for our combination of car + trailer.
I really don't feel like this is a problem we have. I have a little sag, but I wouldn't call it substantial. I linked a picture of my setup below. The picture was taken a couple of years ago at Harper's Ferry, WV, but nothing has changed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qg25lbsdl...ed-wv.jpg?dl=0
Old 07-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #56

Just to add my recent long trip experience:

2015 F150 with 5.0L V8 with 6 speed automatic in Tow/Haul mode, pulling Jayco Hummingbird 17RB (3200 lb) cruising 66-69 mph:

11 mpg, most time in 5th gear, sometimes down to 3rd gear when climbing hill.

My upgraded Load Range D tires clearly state 81 mph, 65 psi max.
Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:14 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
I really don't feel like this is a problem we have. I have a little sag, but I wouldn't call it substantial. I linked a picture of my setup below. The picture was taken a couple of years ago at Harper's Ferry, WV, but nothing has changed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qg25lbsdl...ed-wv.jpg?dl=0
Actually you're right, your's looks great. Attached is mine (brand new, completely dry and no one in the car). Add all the essentials, gear and people, my rear sagged a lot which created some fun swagger on the road.

Anyway, looking good and you picked the best color for the Pathfinder. 😀
Attached Thumbnails
20160813_124610.jpg  
madflava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #58

WDH shouldn’t have sag, if you do you adjust it. I just moved my hitch from one car to another and I had to adjust it. It’s level, maybe the hitch could be adjusted one more notch so the trailer sits level. But I have it so my car sits level and my headlights are pointing straight.
Attached Thumbnails
9092202D-8C02-44D8-80E6-3670A8698482.jpg  
Old 07-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #59

Some sag is normal. Excessive sag is not. When adjusting a WDH the point is to get weight back on the front wheels to maintain steering control. Sometimes that is the front fenders back to stock height, it depends on the manufacturers recommendations. Generally the rear will be brought up higher when it's all adjusted right, but not to stock height. In other words if you feel like you have full steering control, don't obsess over the rear squat.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:54 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Some sag is normal. Excessive sag is not. When adjusting a WDH the point is to get weight back on the front wheels to maintain steering control. Sometimes that is the front fenders back to stock height, it depends on the manufacturers recommendations. Generally the rear will be brought up higher when it's all adjusted right, but not to stock height. In other words if you feel like you have full steering control, don't obsess over the rear squat.
I adjusted the dry ride height to exact stock height on front and rear fenders. I added my gear and fresh water tanks and it sagged a bit, but the vehicle has auto ride height. So after a km it leveled out.