Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2015, 09:37 AM   #1

X18D Purchase

Greetings. My first post here. This forum has been a wealth of information, and I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts. I am very close to pulling the trigger on a 2015 X18D. I was looking at a pop up, then a small TT, and I think the 18D offers the best of both. The 3rd bed is really the kicker, as it will allow me to bring friends along, if only for shorter weekend beach outings. Counter space is nil, but my boss has 2 39' 5ers (yes, 2) that he lets me use at will, and I don't know if a meal has ever been prepared inside, so I don't think it will be much of an issue. Some would say, why don't you just use his 5ers, well 1. they're huge 2. cumbersome 3. you need an oil well to feed the TV 4. they're huge. Other than that they're epic. Plus, there's just something about having something as your own. I have an 2008 F150 Super Crew with 5.4, and I have AirLift bags already installed, so the 18D is well below its capabilities. I'm hoping (maybe against hope) that I can get 10-12 MPG. Last year I did a Zion/Bryce Canyon trip in the bosses 5er and spent $1,000.00 on fuel. That turned me off real quick to my big RV dream.

So, that's a little about how I got here. The local (60 miles away) dealer has a fairly high optioned 2015 X18D that is "on sale" for $19,995.00. What should I go in at if the DW decides that she likes this trailer as much as me. In my head the OTD number I want is $16,000.00. Is that realistic? I know they mark these waaay up, but not sure if 20% off on a smaller RV such as this will get me laughed out of the stealership. This will be my first RV purchase, but we have been RVing for the last 8 years. I have a soon to be 3 year old (I'm truly the old man, 40), and I want this RV and our road trips to be one of his fondest memories when he is older.

Lastly, what would be considered a good interest rate at the moment for RV purchase? My credit union offers RV financing, but they are way high, 8.75%. That tells me they aren't really interested in RV financing!

Thanks again!
OC Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #2

The only thing I can comment on is that RV dealers are like car dealers in that they want to move the older models off the lot to make room for the newer ones. I would think you could get it for 16000.00 if you persisted. I have to also say that we bought our 19RD at our local RV Show (the floor model) with a MSRP of 20,000.00 -- we paid 13,000.00.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Dan View Post
Lastly, what would be considered a good interest rate at the moment for RV purchase? My credit union offers RV financing, but they are way high, 8.75%. That tells me they aren't really interested in RV financing!
Yowsers...that seems high...

We got 4.19% on a used 2011 last year...

Charles
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:20 PM   #4

We are in the OC as well. From my experience you will not get as much of a discount here as you will closer to Indiana. I think we ended up getting around 24-25%. I shopped and shopped around, compared with RV direct, shopped some more, haggled till I was blue in the face, even walked away and that was the BEST that I was able to do.

They have to cover their delivery fees somehow. If it were me I would go in at $14,000 and let them work me to $15,000'ish or throw in a WDH, extra battery, etc. That said, I have only bought one trailer.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #5

C-Mouse...we'll see how it goes. We are heading over tomorrow to check out the unit. If it is as cool in person as it is in pics, we'll see how the negotiations go. Funny thing is I'm a Hoosier by birth, all of my family is still there and I'm heading back in 2 weeks for my sisters wedding. Not planning on driving back with an X18D though. Any savings would get blown on gas getting back here.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:29 PM   #6

OC, what will you be towing with? Our first combi is below and both now sold and We managed to get in the 9's most trips. The second combi gives us up in the 13's when the fates favor us. The first TT weighed about 4800# and the second 12700#. It's all about what you pull with.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #7

RedHorse- I guess I'll be looking at 9 MPG, because my TV is a 2008 F150 SuperCrew FX4, 3.55 gears. (Same engine as your Explorer had, 5.4 3V) I do have custom tunes in the truck, with a specific 89 octane tow tune with early torque delivery being the focus of the tune. Will hopefully help get it rolling at least. I am really hoping for double digit mpg's, but I guess I can't get too over optimistic considering it only gets 17 hwy. under it's own heft.

I'm getting a little ahead of myself though, as I haven't even seen the unit yet. I'm excited about the prospect though. Spending time with my family is very important to me, so this RV will promote more time together....if we end up with it!
Old 08-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #8

Dealer just offered us a rate of 17% on a 2015 X23B and then would only go with a shorter term of 7 yrs. Was looking for about a $200 payment but this all would make it well over $300. We were financing $15,000 on a $22,000 unit. This was at a Minneapolis dealer.
rabalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #9

They must have been getting one heck of a lender kick back on that deal! I will be absolutely insulted if they throw a number like that at me!
Old 08-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #10

Quote:
RedHorse- I guess I'll be looking at 9 MPG, because my TV is a 2008 F150 SuperCrew FX4, 3.55 gears. (Same engine as your Explorer had, 5.4 3V) I do have custom tunes in the truck, with a specific 89 octane tow tune with early torque delivery being the focus of the tune. Will hopefully help get it rolling at least. I am really hoping for double digit mpg's, but I guess I can't get too over optimistic considering it only gets 17 hwy. under it's own heft.

I'm getting a little ahead of myself though, as I haven't even seen the unit yet. I'm excited about the prospect though. Spending time with my family is very important to me, so this RV will promote more time together....if we end up with it!
Our 5.4 was a 2 valve, don't recall the rear gears. It did ok but was a little close on the rear axle, were about 200# below the Rear GAWR. Your custom tune should help at least with the towability. Getting the torque on earlier will help get things moving. Empty with no load and 17 sounds a little short. Unloaded we saw close to 20. Maybe our driving habits, I'm pretty soft on the pedals.
But, yeah, I would look for 9's.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 08-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
We are in the OC as well. From my experience you will not get as much of a discount here as you will closer to Indiana. I think we ended up getting around 24-25%. I shopped and shopped around, compared with RV direct, shopped some more, haggled till I was blue in the face, even walked away and that was the BEST that I was able to do.

They have to cover their delivery fees somehow. If it were me I would go in at $14,000 and let them work me to $15,000'ish or throw in a WDH, extra battery, etc. That said, I have only bought one trailer.
I should mention that ours was ordered and a 2016 so you may be able to do better with it being a 2015 that they want to move.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #12

Well, that didn't go as well as I had hoped. They had the 18D, DW really liked it, as well as myself. When my family visits from IN, it would be perfect for beach stays, those 3 beds are laid out nice to give that little trailer and very big feel. No kitchen counter space, but we always cook outside anyways.

Here's the rub...they wouldn't barely budge on price. They had it listed at $19,995.00, and the manager came in and made it clear $18,875.00 was the best they would do. He showed me their dealer invoice to show me they would only be making about $500.00 on the deal at that price, as the invoice showed they paid $18,222.00 for the unit. Does that sound legit?

I had 16-17K as my top dollar, so I walked. I'm thinking it over, and if they are truly only making $500.00 on the sale, that would be a good deal. I just don't know if they truly paid that amount, but it was a legit looking invoice. The manager came out as I was getting in my car to leave to show me the dealer invoice, and to let me know they weren't trying to squeeze me. I really want the unit, but I want to know I'm getting a deal as well. Decisions, decisions.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:30 PM   #13

Check out an online dealer and see what they offer. We bought our first that way and used the pricing as a negotiating tool on the second. I believe there are several to choose from, we used RV Direct. Generally an on line dealer offers about 30% discount.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 08-08-2015, 08:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Well, that didn't go as well as I had hoped. They had the 18D, DW really liked it, as well as myself. When my family visits from IN, it would be perfect for beach stays, those 3 beds are laid out nice to give that little trailer and very big feel. No kitchen counter space, but we always cook outside anyways.

Here's the rub...they wouldn't barely budge on price. They had it listed at $19,995.00, and the manager came in and made it clear $18,875.00 was the best they would do. He showed me their dealer invoice to show me they would only be making about $500.00 on the deal at that price, as the invoice showed they paid $18,222.00 for the unit. Does that sound legit?

I had 16-17K as my top dollar, so I walked. I'm thinking it over, and if they are truly only making $500.00 on the sale, that would be a good deal. I just don't know if they truly paid that amount, but it was a legit looking invoice. The manager came out as I was getting in my car to leave to show me the dealer invoice, and to let me know they weren't trying to squeeze me. I really want the unit, but I want to know I'm getting a deal as well. Decisions, decisions.

Is this by chance Richardson's? If so, I suggest calling Indiana RV. They are owned by same company. That is what I did and I was able to get the price I wanted which was lower than salesman at Richardson's would give me. They offer CA delivery at any of the Richardson's locations. If you want my salesman's name, whom I was very happy with, PM me as I'm not sure if it is allowed in the forum to share that publicly.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #15

x18d

Here's my story from Wisconsin (purchased this past March)... your prices may vary.

My 2015 x18D was optioned out at just over 24k.

After haggling & "thinking" while walking the RV show, they ended up giving me the trailer, WD hitch w/ anti sway bar, brake controller and outdoor grill for $16k.

Our financing is at ~5% for 15 yrs through a local bank.

Oh, and for a family of 5 plus a greyhound to boot... we LOVE this trailer!
Counter space issue is helped by getting a topper for your stove.
We can't say enough good things about this trailer. In four months, we've camped as often as the last two years combined. It's SO easy!!
Old 08-13-2015, 11:31 PM   #16

My family and I have enjoyed our x18d for a few years now. Easy to tow, three full time queen beds and an open/airy floor plan. Your right about the lack of counter space. but failed to mentioned seating comfort is also not plentiful inside, but who goes camping to spend all their time sitting inside the trailer?
Paid below 16k new in 2011.
Hope you get the deal you want and continue to make those camping memories.
Attached Thumbnails
20150608_122039.jpg   IMG_0737.jpg  
Old 08-15-2015, 04:05 PM   #17

I echo getting a quote from RV Direct, that's the route we took and were about 16.5 for our 2015.

We love our 18d as well, we are on our 5th trip this year with more planned!
robp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:41 PM   #18

Well.....I didn't get anywhere near $16,500.00, but in fairness the West Coast dealers pay a small fortune in delivery fees! The "MSRP" sticker has $3,880.00 quoted as delivery fees, and another $789.00 for dealer prep fees. So, per the window sticker, with options, the trailer was a tick over $29K (C'mon!). I hammered these guys pretty hard and they drew a hard line at $18,550.00. So, after a few more rounds of negotiations, and a phone call to a dealer 300 miles away, we ended up at $18K. That was the best I was going to get, and I knew it. We wanted the trailer, so we're happy. Looks good in the driveway, and I'm typing this from the dinette!

Now, I just need to decide on a WDH. I used my bosses GMC 2500 to bring it home, it was a cake walk for that truck. My F150 will be getting WDH. There are several good ones, so I'll figure it out this week. Not a lot of room on this frame for the WDH mounts though.

This trailer is really awesome. I liked it from the beginning, but it seems to get better the more time I spend in it. It has a very small foot print, but opened up it feels like a 26'+ trailer...sans counter space! Even so, we spend our time outside, so counter space be damned! My son (2 1/2) is watching Shrek right now while I enjoy an adult beverage, and it's perfect! And, the power awning and tongue jack are icing!

I can't wait for the memories this trailer will make! We have room to bring friends and family along, and frankly, that's what it's all about!
Old 08-15-2015, 07:00 PM   #19

Great story and congrats on your new trailer!

A good WDH for your trailer would be the Andersen. No bars, less weight and no sway!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #20

Congratulations, you will love the trailer.
robp is offline   Reply With Quote