Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #1

Question X18D Towing / WDH & Sway Control

A friend of mine gave me a Equal-I-Zer Brand WDH & Anti Sway hitch. It is rated for a maximum tongue weight of 1000 lbs.

Now, I have put 75 miles or so in towing this trailer so far with just a drawbar and have no complaints. Sway seemed ok, and drop on rear of TV was not bad. Can I do better and be safer by using this system though?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that I didnt want a setup for WDH that was too 'stiff'. Is that accurate? Will this model WDH be too stiff for me?

Any help appreciated - no experience with WDH/sway control hitches.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #2

A little feedback

You'll get better information as others see your question but I'll tell you what I know, most of it from reading. First, you definitely want the sway control. Your TT and TV seem like a good match and I think the Tundra will handle the tongue weight and load without a problem but the WD of the Equalizer will probably help your towing experience.

I had the Equalizer in my final two choices but opted for a Reese Dual Cam system. There are a lot of loyal Equalizer owners who swear by them. My decision was close to a coin flip. I would read up on it and figure it out thoroughly so you can make adjustments. I think there is a 2 point model and 4 point model. Other than knowing the 4 point is more expensive, and thus I assume that means additional functionality, I can't help you determine which you have or comment on the differences between the 2.

It sounds like you've got a pretty good friend. It's probably a $300 - $500 gift that will help keep you safe when towing. If I'd have had a friend offer me an Equalizer I'd have it today.

I really like the X18D floorplan but opted for the lighter X17C. It looks like you've got a great setup going.
Trout34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #3

Yeah, I was actually considering purchasing the Reese, but this fell into my lap so I can't complain. This is the 4 point system. I did a little research online and found some pretty heated debates about the equalizer, I guess some people are going to be biased towards on brand or another. Perhaps its naive but this model hitch has been around a while so it must work right?

I do have a good friend, he upgraded to a fifth wheel so he said I might as well use the equalizer. He hasn't given it to me, but he has given it to me to use as long as he doesn't need it. He also let me use/borrow some mckesh towing mirrors so hopefully I be sowing safe and confident pretty soon.

I'm gonna take a stab at setting it up this weekend, we'll see how it goes...

Loving the X18D, we went in to buy the X17c but after looking at both and taking into consideration 3 humans, 2 canines we figured we could use all the extra space that came with the 18D. It works out great, the Dogs have their own bed, and the extra storage is awesome.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #4

Reese vs Equalizer

The Equalizer has been around for a long time and is well proven. Interesting that you saw a lot of debate on its capabilities. Almost everything I read was positive. Neither is in the class of the Hensley or ProPride but the cost for those is steep. If I'd have honestly felt that towing the 18' trailer we have demanded their capabilities I would have gone in that direction. But even with my TV's relatively short wheelbase (Pathfinder 112.2") I felt either the Equalizer or Reese would keep the family safe.

I settled on the Reese for a reason that may never come into play for you. I read that with the Reese the dual cams are always working to center the trailer. Because of the friction used with the Equalizer I read where it would work against getting it back in line if it ever did get out of line. Not having any experience towing I had no idea how to determine if or how frequently that would happen, and if it did, how hard the Equalizer would really work against getting it back in line. My feeling was that it could not be that big an issue or it wouldn't have been around as long as it has been or have as many satisfied customers.

To show how opinions vary I have a friend that just bought a 23 footer. He mentioned my research to his dealer. They stated they felt the Equalizer was a better option and that is what he went with. He has a huge truck so it makes little difference now but he will be downsizing in the future and it will be more important. I don't think he'll have any regrets.

The Reese takes a few hours to figure out. A couple other posts document my pursuit. I now can adjust the WD pretty well but need to drop the tongue a couple more inches than the shank allows to get the trailer level. I now have a new shank and am confident that when the rain stops here in central Indiana I will get it dialed in.

I will still have 2 issues to resolve. I need to figure out the tongue weight ratio. The X17C has a heavy tongue at 475 lbs (heavy being a relative term to my setup and other lite weight models) and I'm not sure that includes the battery or spare tire. I could be at 16% to 17% by the time you add the shank and WD components if Jayco did not account for these items. Its hard to believe Jayco would not since this is where these components go but I'll use a CAT scale to be sure. The other issue is that when the weight is distributed, adding in my wife and 3 kids, I get close to the GVW of the Pathfinder (6000 lbs.). I never dreamed by a TT would require revisiting my math courses. If only I had a Tundra.
Trout34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Mhd31971,

The Equal-i-zer is a great WDH, and it has integrated sway control so you don't have to add one. However, the 1,000lb rating may be a little much for the X18D. First, check the X18D 's A-frame near the coupler for any sticker restricting the size rating of a WDH...., a lot of the smaller HTT's have these restrictions.

The X18D has a GVWR of 4,400lbs, UVW of 3,555lbs, and a dry hitch of 470lbs.. Check your HTT, there should be a weight sticker with the actual "ship weight", which is normally higher than the published UVW.

The X18D has a relatively low CCC (after adding battery, dealer options, etc.), so pushing the GVWR once loaded and ready to camp is very realistic. It is recommended that the loaded tongue weight for the X18D be 10%-15% of the HTT's loaded weight. Assuming worst case X18D loaded at GVWR of 4,400lbs = 440lbs to 660lbs (10% to 15% of 4,400). It is these weights that imply that the 1,000lb rate Equal-i-zer may be over sized and that IMO isn't the right WDH for the X18D. A 600lb rated WDH would be a better choice if you are going to use one.

IMO a friction control sway bar should be utilized at a minimum.

This is just my opinion, so I offer it only as food for thought.

Enjoy the HTT, looks like a nice camping season finally unfolding

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Mhd31971,

The Equal-i-zer is a great WDH, and it has integrated sway control so you don't have to add one. However, the 1,000lb rating may be a little much for the X18D. First, check the X18D 's A-frame near the coupler for any sticker restricting the size rating of a WDH...., a lot of the smaller HTT's have these restrictions.

The X18D has a GVWR of 4,400lbs, UVW of 3,555lbs, and a dry hitch of 470lbs.. Check your HTT, there should be a weight sticker with the actual "ship weight", which is normally higher than the published UVW.

The X18D has a relatively low CCC (after adding battery, dealer options, etc.), so pushing the GVWR once loaded and ready to camp is very realistic. It is recommended that the loaded tongue weight for the X18D be 10%-15% of the HTT's loaded weight. Assuming worst case X18D loaded at GVWR of 4,400lbs = 440lbs to 660lbs (10% to 15% of 4,400). It is these weights that imply that the 1,000lb rate Equal-i-zer may be over sized and that IMO isn't the right WDH for the X18D. A 600lb rated WDH would be a better choice if you are going to use one.

IMO a friction control sway bar should be utilized at a minimum.

This is just my opinion, so I offer it only as food for thought.

Enjoy the HTT, looks like a nice camping season finally unfolding

Bob
Equal-i-zer makes a 600/6,000 model, that's what I bought for use with my new 2012 X20E, that I'm waiting to be built.

- Justin
jbwjbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #7

yeah, mine is the 1,000 / 10,000 model. I am concerned that I might be 'over hitched' with this setup. I don't really know what that means :-), but I have read that too much hitch, can make your ride too stiff and even damage your trailer in some cases.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd31971 View Post
snip......but I have read that too much hitch, can make your ride too stiff and even damage your trailer in some cases.
Very true.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #9

I pull my X18D with a whole lot less and use a WDH. With your rig you may not need one although the sway control is a must. Measuring the uplift on your front TV bumper will give a good indication of what is happening to your rig. If it pops up 1/2 inch I'm not sure that is a big impact. Mine kicks up three inches without the WDH and that has a huge impact on the handling (only tried it once). I am a believer in the 80% rule so with a 7K tow capacity I'm right at the top end (5.6K) with the fam and gear.
4dimnzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:44 AM   #10

I ended up buying a Reese Pro-Series with round 600lb bars, no sway control. This has taken all the sag out of my rear end and feels better to me on the road. (less bounce)

So far I have not added sway control and have not really seen a need - but the same guy that had the equalizer has a friction sway bar that will mount on to my Reese so I may add that into the mix.