Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2020, 08:52 PM   #1

Exclamation X18D Vinyl Bunk Damage

Hello Fellow Hybriders!

We purchased our 2014 X18D in Oct 2019! We had the opportunity to use it once before storing it on a spot next to our garage (uncovered). I opened up the camper bunks a week ago and was horrified to see water coming from the front bunk when I opened it. When I pushed out the front bunk, I found damage to the bunks vinyl, both mildew/mold and two areas there the vinyl cracked.

I read the Owners Manual on how to clean the mold/mildew, but I’m at a loss on how to fix the vinyl area on the roof of the bunk. Anyone else experience the same? And have a fix?

Forever Grateful!
Attached Thumbnails
53A061A9-2859-4861-8291-290E058873A0.jpg   62D7EEC1-3D04-49B2-92A6-ACC17CFF710A.jpg   CDD95F2F-C018-4644-AA13-C0985ADD116A.jpg  
MKEAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum!

An immediate repair would be to carefully clean the leaking areas, and apply some clear awning repair tape. From the picture it almost appears the vinyl has gotten brittle, and cracked. Long term would be to replace the bunk end with a new one. If it is in fact dried out material, it probably will crack again with use.

Was this TT locally owned, or did it come from a hot dry sunny location?

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:35 AM   #3

Thanks for the response JFlight!

We bought it from a private seller here in WI. So, heat hasn’t been a problem. The only thing I can think of, if the water was stuck in the fold of the bunk perhaps it eroded the vinyl with it freezing and melting water?? ��
Old 04-01-2020, 07:57 AM   #4

When I put my Hybrid away for the winter I always take the beds out and store them in the house. That leaves room for air circulation to the canvas on the inside with the help of a dehumidifier and a space heater set to the mid 50s so the dehumidifier does not freeze up.
From the looks of your condition I would check the weather stripping around your bunk end doors.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:21 AM   #5

Never thought of removing the bunks and storing them, Tunce! That’s a great idea! Definitely going to check the weather stripping and seals! Thanks!
Old 04-01-2020, 10:06 AM   #6

If you look at the rain gutter that’s just above your hatch door you’ll notice that not all of the screws were driven in straight ( good entry point for water).
Now what I did was I placed a small rubber washer behind each screw to help prevent water from entering behind the screws. I’m not a fan of metal to metal contact with an outside application.When you take the screws out you might find some that have rust on them. Oh, I replaced those screws with SS screws.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:49 AM   #7

Considering it was your first time using, I suspect that you may have fallen into an issue that just about all hybrid owners experience at least once. You have to be very careful when closing up the bunk to ensure that none of the tenting gets caught in the door seal. If you don't watch carefully, it will happen regularly. If this happens the seals will leak, and the water will end up inside of the canvas envelope as you experienced. That is (IMO) the most common cause.
The seals will also dry out over time if not maintained. Take a look and make sure the seals are still supple, and if not, treat them with a product that restores vinyl/rubber or replace them.
Also, check to ensure that your door is closing firmly. If you have the cargo bar type latches on yours (I think '14 is around the time Jayco moved away from these to the plastic latches?), there is a rubber pad on each bar that applies pressure to the door. If they are damaged or missing, the door will be loose and will leak. Give the door itself a good tug at the top with the latches engaged; it should not move at all.
You can try to fix the vinyl, but do know that replacements can be purchased from CanvasReplacements.com or BearCreekCanvas.com for about $450 IIRC. It might be easier to just pop on a new one.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:59 PM   #8

Bankr - I felt some give on the door. I’ll be checking the rubber on the latch this weekend! Thank you for the details!