Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #1

x19H Fridge not cooling on LP

I have a 2015 x19H and for 6 trips it worked well but now my Norcold fridge doesn't cool on LP. When on AC works fine and cools it down normally. I always keep it on 5 (coldest setting). What setting do most folks keep it set at.

It lights fine, no blinking lights and green and amber light are on. Nice blue flame at flue. Seems like it should be working perfect, but doesn't

I spoke to the dealer (who said call Jayco), spoke to Norcold and then to Jayco. Jayco 2nd level support said we could try adjusting things but safer to just bring it to dealer. So that's what I am doing just curious if anyone else had this issues before.

Frankly I'm disappointed but whatever. I hope they don't need to pull it out and break the factory foam seals in the access panel.
Barnaclepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:08 PM   #2

I will wager that you have a spider nest at the burner tube or igniter. Carefully clean out and restart. More often than not this is the cause of fridge not working on LP.

Here is a link that will show you how to do it. Good Luck!

THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #3

thanks. I will try it this weekend and post back.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #4

Also maks sure the flue baffle didn't fall down on top of the burner. There is a cork screw baffle (for lack of a better term) in the flue. It helps put a vortex on the exhaust gases so they move up the flue better. That baffle has been known to come unhooked and drop down on top of the burner and then it absorbs the heat so it doesn't cool. I had it happen in one of our units years ago. If it did drop you should see it sitting on top of the burner and usually it has no affect on the flame color.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:15 PM   #5

Update: I received my trailer back from the dealer. They could not replicate the issue and did not seem willing to keep it for more than a few days, pretty disappointing. I have it plugged in at home and will try to find a way to consistently replicate this issue and then will find a local norcold repair shop.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:37 AM   #6

If the flame is on, the flue isn't blocked and the large black pipe below the flue is getting hot then the refrigerant is moving. Do the cooling fins get cold at all?

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckworkb View Post
If the flame is on, the flue isn't blocked and the large black pipe below the flue is getting hot then the refrigerant is moving. Do the cooling fins get cold at all?
That's a great question!

Also, if the dealer could not replicate the problem, does this mean that the dealer could successfully cool the fridge on LP? They used a thermometer and measured that the fridge was cooling? The unit is a 2015 so it's still under warranty yes? I'd bring it back with a warm fridge and have them prove that the fridge works on LP. Shouldn't take more than 24 hours to have ice cubes in the freezer.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:09 AM   #8

This all seems really odd.
Gas absorption refrigerators work when the water/ammonia mixture is heated. Regardless of the source of the heat.

Obviously the refrigeration system is working since it cools on 110V.

How big is the flame when on LP? Does it burn bright blue with very little to no yellow? Does the uppermost heat-sink get really warm?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckworkb View Post
Yes it will work for a day on LP stay at 33 in the refer then after 24 hours or so it warms some. right now its at 45 on LB in refer after 48 hours going to call norcold back tomorrow. disappointed with dealer. and its 1.5 hours away. Fins are cold first day and flame is blue.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
This all seems really odd.
Gas absorption refrigerators work when the water/ammonia mixture is heated. Regardless of the source of the heat.

Obviously the refrigeration system is working since it cools on 110V.

How big is the flame when on LP? Does it burn bright blue with very little to no yellow? Does the uppermost heat-sink get really warm?
The flame appears blue, no yellow. size of a quarter, maybe larger. the black pipe coming out under the flame to the left is hot. I cant reach the top black pipe coming out of the top of the flue its too high to reach. really appreciate the help.

Fridge model is Norcold N611
Old 05-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #11

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131780.../shares/n4x49z
Old 05-27-2015, 05:42 AM   #12

The flame does seem a bit small.

I just had an issue with my brand new Norcold fridge over the holiday weekend (first official use):

A mix of filings and oil from the making of the aluminum tube that runs from the gas valve to the burner, clogged the orifice for the burner. My fridge wouldn't function at all on propane.

I did a field repair of unbending a safety pin and clearing the .000000001" hole. It worked properly the rest of the trip.

A warrantee claim is in the works for a new burner assembly.

To me, it might be that your burner may be only partially clogged leading to an inadequate amount of heat getting into the system (your pics seemed to show 1/4" of flame) the manual calls for 1" with all parts being equal in length.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
The flame does seem a bit small.

I just had an issue with my brand new Norcold fridge over the holiday weekend (first official use):

A mix of filings and oil from the making of the aluminum tube that runs from the gas valve to the burner, clogged the orifice for the burner. My fridge wouldn't function at all on propane.

I did a field repair of unbending a safety pin and clearing the .000000001" hole. It worked properly the rest of the trip.

A warrantee claim is in the works for a new burner assembly.

To me, it might be that your burner may be only partially clogged leading to an inadequate amount of heat getting into the system (your pics seemed to show 1/4" of flame) the manual calls for 1" with all parts being equal in length.
Thanks Mike, good advice.

I called a local norcold authorized repair shop and he said it sounds like potentially spider webs in burner tube and the flame can still "look good" but not provide sufficient heat. that's the only thing that makes sense. Baffle and other things would be fine (unless they somehow fell but that seems unlikely)? If nothing else at least this guy is willing to try and sounds like he knows what he is talking about. The service rep at dealer clearly doesn't care, or seem knowledgeable, and he recommended taking it somewhere else but it is under Jayco warranty for another 1.5 years. pretty awesome.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:43 AM   #14

So, was it a spider nest?

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote