Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2022, 03:16 PM   #1

X23B batteries

Hi all,
I am new to the RV world.
I purchased an x23b new in 2021. I am not currently using the trailer, and have been monitoring the batteries (i have 2 81ah deep cycle batteries in parallel).
On each sunny day, my solar panel is providing what I consider to be a lot of power to the batteries. After a cloudy day, it will provide about 35ah. This is without shore power, and nothing operational in the rig.
I plugged in shore power this past Friday, and we have had very cloudy days. My batteries are reading fairly low -about 70pct according to a voltage chart I found online.
I know shore power is operational. I have fridge and power at the outlets.
How can I tell if my converter is charging the batteries while plugged in? I have a gut feeling it ISNT.
And, where would the converter even be in this TT?
Thanks for any and all responses in advance!
Jerry
Jerrypd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:51 PM   #2

What battery maintenance have you done?

Wet cell batteries need to have the fluid topped off periodically. If you need to add water, only add DISTILLED water, nothing else. Any other water will shorten the battery life.

Fill to the bottom edge of the plastic.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:11 PM   #3

That makes sense.
I have only had the trailer for a year.
I have not checked the wet level.
Would that account for what I am seeing?
Old 10-02-2022, 07:19 PM   #4

There is almost 100% that you have a battery charger built into your RV. You may also have a unit that converts 12 volts in AC to run some things like microwave, tv, etc. when off shore power.

Since you are losing a lot of battery even when charged with solar you should look for what is draining your batteries. It could be the batteries are bad but you really need to understand your system. Watch some youtubes on batteries and how rv systems work.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:52 PM   #5

Thank you for the response.
I do not have an inverter (convert from DC to AC) in this TT.
I am certain I have a charger. I asked where it is on this particular unit.
I stated that there is nothing operational in the trailer. I expected the batteries to charge while on shore power, they do not seem to be doing that.
I do not see what youtube will tell me about this unit.
I asked here in the hopes of getting more information about this particular model.
I believe the water level in the batteries is low, and will get distilled water tomorrow to top them off.
Hopefully this will fix the issue.
If not, my question remains... how can I tell if the charging part of the trailer is operational?
Thank you,
Jerry
Old 10-03-2022, 05:49 AM   #6

[QUOTE=Jerrypd;1076303
I am certain I have a charger. I asked where it is on this particular unit.
I stated that there is nothing operational in the trailer. I expected the batteries to charge while on shore power, they do not seem to be doing that.

If not, my question remains... how can I tell if the charging part of the trailer is operational?
Thank you,
Jerry[/QUOTE]

Usually the converter (charger) is mounted right next to the circuit breakers integrated as one unit.

You could disconnect the battery, usually the negative side is easiest, and plug into shore power. Then check if any 12V loads work such as lights. Keep your battery cable from contacting any metal when doing this, and all safety precautions should be taken. Safety glasses at least, lead acid batteries produce hydrogen gas which can explode a battery from sparks.
Even if nothing is on in your RV there are still loads on the battery. CO / gas detector, control circuits, etc.
Just guessing, if you have solar and plugging into shore power and not charging, most likely your batteries are the problem. Make sure the battery connections are clean.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrypd View Post
Thank you for the response.
I do not have an inverter (convert from DC to AC) in this TT. Correct, 23B's do not come with an inverter
I am certain I have a charger. I asked where it is on this particular unit. It is integrated into the electrical utility panel

I believe the water level in the batteries is low, and will get distilled water tomorrow to top them off.
Hopefully this will fix the issue. IF the top of the cells are exposed, there maybe damage to the cells. For sure this will shorten the batteries life. Not Knowing how the previous owner treated the batteries, running them dead also shortens their life.
If not, my question remains... how can I tell if the charging part of the trailer is operational? I do not have solar and no experience with solar. I would disconnect the solar. Then check your battery voltage. Then connect to shore power. Again check your voltage, Wait maybe a day, and check your voltage. Disconnect shore power, and wait at least 1 hour, and check your voltage again. I would do this voltage check directly at the battery with a multimeter. A fully charged battery, with a resting voltage should be about 12.6V, With the charger running, you could see anywhere from 13.5 to 14.5(??) volts. When you first disconnect a battery charger, the battery can have a voltage greater than 12.6 volts, hence the reason to let it rest an hour.
Couple more diagnostic thoughts;

There should be an inline fuse at the battery, have you verified it is good? While at it, check your two 30 amp fuses at the fuse box, one is a reverse polarity fuse, and the other is a charge line fuse.

Does your 23B have a battery disconnect switch, as I recall Jayco started adding them a few years back as a standard item. If so, I would expect it would be in the cargo hold. Red switch handle.

I fully suspect your issue if not a bad fuse or turned off disconnect switch to be poorly maintained batteries.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 10-04-2022, 05:52 AM   #8

More info:
The battery levels were low, and I added distilled water. Waited about 8 hours or so for solar to stop providing charge.
Battery reading was very bad. 12.0 volts.
This am I disconnected the batteries from trailer. Battery reading still very low.
NO 12V in the TT works. Lights, control panel, etc all non functional when connected to shore power only.
I have a battery charger on one of the 2 batteries (totally isolated).
I am going to look behind the fuse panel for any fuses I can find in-line.
I see no battery disconnect, but that point is moot since I disconnected the batteries.
Are there any other things to look for other than blown fuses?
Thank you all for the support!
Jerry
Old 10-04-2022, 06:25 AM   #9

When on shore power with 12v disconnected did your 110V power work? microwave, 110V power outlets etc?

I should have mentioned in my previous post your solar panels should be disconnected from your solar controller before disconnecting the batteries, and when reconnecting, your solar controller should be connected to your battery first before reconnecting it to the solar panels.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:11 AM   #10

Next update
The fuse panel is my converter as well.
40 Amp fuse for reverse battery+vcc controller is blown.
Gonna head to auto parts store for spares.
Hopefully this fixes the no 12V shore power, plus the charging of batteries while on shore power.
My charger is pushing 7Amps so I am guessing 10 hours or so til it's charged.

Question:::
Once I replace the fuse, should I hook batteries back up and see if the TT charges them, or complete the charging from the external charger?

Jerry
Old 10-04-2022, 07:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
When on shore power with 12v disconnected did your 110V power work? microwave, 110V power outlets etc?
Yes, when on shore power I had AC power. Outlets, fridge, etc all worked.

I disconnected the negative terminal from TT to the battery. I did not disconnect the solar (not sure where that is, honestly).
Old 10-04-2022, 08:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrypd View Post

Question:::
Once I replace the fuse, should I hook batteries back up and see if the TT charges them, or complete the charging from the external charger?

Jerry
Yep. If possible I would use the shore power, just to verify the converter is working correctly. There is a good chance the batteries are damaged and will not hold a charge very long. May need to think about replacing them.

As for fuses, keep a good supply on hand. You blow one, you tend to blow a few. As for the reverse polarity fuse, make sure to label the battery leads very well. This will prevent hooking up the battery wrong, and blowing the fuse.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 10-04-2022, 08:13 AM   #13

I am not holding out much hope for the batteries, being that they were low on water and they have been run down.
Will probably replace them with lifepo4 - we are basically done for the season at this point.
Not sure why the 40A blew, though. I haven't touched any battery terminals til today, lol...
Old 10-04-2022, 08:24 AM   #14

It’s most likely the batteries. I’m dealing with same situation right now, dead batteries. I have 2 interstate batteries in parallel. I took them to the battery shop to be tested and charged over night. I want to see if they can hold a charge. Because they weren’t charging on the coach.
I’ll find out today if they can be brought back to life.

Also, you should add a battery disconnect, easy to install, works great.
N Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:55 AM   #15

So, I replaced the 40A.
Still no 12V when on shore power with batteries disconnected.
So batteries are not being charged when plugged in, only with solar.
We have had 4 days of rain, so minimal charging.
That means batteries went well below 50 percent.
I think 2 problems now
Converter is dead
Batteries won't hold charge
Old 10-08-2022, 12:27 PM   #16

Talked to my sales rep.
They are taking the rig in to see what's going on.
Only just over 1 year old, so hopefully still under warranty.
Will update more after I hear from them.
Thanks to everyone who helped me diagnose this!
Old 10-08-2022, 12:56 PM   #17

If you are plugged into shore power, try hitting the red reset button in the outlet on the wall next to the bathroom sink. Sometimes that will pop, and then you'll lose your 12v items. See if that helps before you go out and buy batteries.
oldbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 01:43 PM   #18

Something you might also want to consider is adding Voltmeter/Ammeter Monitor. I've been using the AiLi Model I bought on Amazon. I've been using it for 3 years and its cheap and gives me the info I want on battery status.
DJNavyDavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 02:54 PM   #19

Yikes! Didn't think of that.
Will look at it nex rwek when I am back near the rig.
Old 10-09-2022, 07:18 AM   #20

We had the 12v converter on our X23B go bad and apparently that's a common failure.

I also found the entertainment system sucks a lot of power even when it isn't on (plus the blue light was annoying bright at night), so I added a switch so we could keep it unpowered unless it was in use.

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MBOK
2019 Ford F-250 King Ranch diesel

2015 Jayco X23B (sold)
2008 Jayco 23B (sold)
2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch (sold)
Rayco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, converter, x23b