Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #1

X23b Brake controller setting

Hello,

I have a new 2018 Jayco X23b that I’ve towed a couple of times now with my 2013 Expedition EL 4x4 with the integrated brake controller. When setting the gain, I’m all the way at 10.0 (max setting) with the trailer slowing fairly aggressively, but I still can’t get the trailer tires to lock up.

Other trailers I’ve towed with this same setup have usually locked up at between 4.0 and 6.0. Since this one only weighs about 5k when loaded, 10.0 sounds high.

So...do others with the Expedition/F-150 brake controller have this issue? Is there a way I can know for sure that all four trailer wheels are braking? As it is, the trailer slows about as I’d expect, so I know it is actually applying power to the brakes. I’m just a little concerned about why I’m maxed out at 10.0.

Thank you!
Fourkids&abeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #2

You might try the max stopping test on loose gravel. Maybe with a watcher.

You could be locking up one side and not the other. If that is the case you may have a bad brake, greasy shoes, etc.

You might also try pulling the wheels and inspecting the brake shoes for axle grease on the shoes.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #3

Something sounds like its not working right. I have a 19 F150 and TT loaded at 4500# I set the gain to 4 on the factory controller. I haven't tried to lock up the brakes see no need to but its stops fine. How many miles on your TT brakes, have they been adjusted recently, I would open them up, clean, hit grease points, adjust and see if they work better
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #4

I'm following this because I have a similar issue but no advice. '01 Expedition, '11 X23B, Primus IQ brake controller. Set the brake controller up around 9.5 to 10 out of 11, satisfied with the trailer braking, but can't lock the wheels even at 11. Seems really high, thinking of tearing the wheels/brakes apart, but not sure what I'm looking for.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:33 PM   #5

Jayco put in smaller wheels

In an attempt to drop the weight, Jayco started putting in smaller brakes several years ago. When I bought my x23b, the dealer questioned it with Jayco, but they say it is fine and by design. Unlike several of you, i am not satisfied with the trailer braking. It works, but it still puts too much on the Tow Vehicle.

We've had them checked, and no issues with oil leaks, faulty electric brake drives, shoe adjustments. The brakes are flat out undersized.
Mike_az_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:39 AM   #6

Make sure the brakes are adjusted properly. I've purchased two trailers new from Jayco, with Dexter axles, and I had to adjust the brakes on both trailers within the first month of ownership. Our current X20E had one wheel locking up and the other 3 hardly working at all.

With the brakes adjusted correctly, I have never been able to get them to lock up on either trailer. Ideally just make sure all 4 work and that you can manually slow it down by pulling the lever. Unless you feel you cannot stop the entire rig safely, you'll be fine.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #7

Out of my 2011 F150 owners manual:

"The TBC interacts with the brake system of the vehicle, including
ABS, in order to reduce the likelihood of trailer wheel lock-up;
therefore, if these systems are not functioning properly, the TBC may
not function at full performance."

Might check your manual for more info.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:10 PM   #8

Thanks guys, all good info. In order to make sure that at least all four brakes are indeed braking evenly, I ordered an IR gun for $13 and should have it this weekend. Will do several runs and then check the brake temps. If they’re about even, I’ll know they’re all braking.

And yes, The trailer brakes at what I consider a safe rate, so not a show stopper, just something I’m investigating. Thanks again.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:01 AM   #9

So I got the IR gun and ran some tests. Turns out all four tires were within two degrees of each other, and the backs of all four hubs were within five degrees of each other, about 20 degrees warmer than ambient.

So this means the brakes are working, that they’re all working symmetrically. All that remains is to adjust them, which I will wait to do til Winter, as I’m in Las Vegas and don’t want to be out there in the heat again.

My suspicion, though is that Mike is right and the brakes are just undersized. That’s the worst answer, though, because you can’t fix that.

Pretty disappointing since the rest of the trailer is so well done.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:18 AM   #10

I just bought a MBQS355 and also have concerns about the brakes after my first outing. I had a list of minor things to be corrected and talked to the Dealer's Shop Manager about my F350 brakes doing most of the stopping. My last trailers didn't seem to have this problem and my TBS for this trailer is set to 8.5 (Set by the Tech when I picked up the trailer).

I told him that I want the brakes fixed or an acceptable answer when I pick up the trailer on Wednesday July 3rd. He said that it was my truck and I told him that I disconnected the trailer cord and pulled the breakaway cord and I thought that the brakes would lock up. My last Jayco 5th wheel I would adjust every year would lockup. He said that this trailer not only has self adjusting brakes but that they adjust when moving forward?

He is going to take one wheel off to confirm to make me happy. I told him that on Wednesday, what he tells me is that my brakes are working.

In Canada the trailer brakes are to stop the trailer and the government inspectors would take the trailer off the road if they don't stop the trailer. In Canada the commercial trailers I bought from the Dealer have to have a yearly inspection which include the brakes have to stop the trailer. So on Wednesday, I don't like being like this, but that I'll have the dealership owner there when the tech tell me about the brakes. The brakes on my F350 are over sized to stop the truck and trailer if the trailer brakes fail Period!!. They give an inspection sticker that says the brakes work to the government guidelines. Ill be sure to have that regulation with me.

FYI:
I put the manual brake controller over to full brakes and had 12 amps going to the trailer brakes. I also pulled the breakaway cord and had 12 amps going to the trailer brakes. After that the Tech didn't say that everything was normal.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:38 AM   #11

Don't ignore the brake controller, it could be acting up. A friend with an F150, is on his 3rd integrated brake controller.

I do not have an integrated controller, but my brakes last year started acting like yours. After messing around with wire connections, checking brakes, and so forth, I only got a little bit better braking. I switch out brake controllers this spring , I now have brakes again.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #12

most likley its the cheap axles jayco used on the trailers. They dont stop the hybrid trailers and only ha a 2200 lb rating each. It's not the brakes controler.
nvelasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvelasco View Post
most likley its the cheap axles jayco used on the trailers. They dont stop the hybrid trailers and only ha a 2200 lb rating each. It's not the brakes controler.
It's worse than just cheap axles. Drexel axles have been great as far as I have experienced, it is the fact that Jayco engineered an undersized model for this big of a trailer. I think the smaller 19x has larger drums on that model year. I think they were just trying to squeak some weight limit since it is at the top end of most common SUV's
Old 05-18-2020, 12:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Out of my 2011 F150 owners manual:

"The TBC interacts with the brake system of the vehicle, including
ABS, in order to reduce the likelihood of trailer wheel lock-up;
therefore, if these systems are not functioning properly, the TBC may
not function at full performance."

Might check your manual for more info.

Murff
I did check the manual. It says that I should be able to get the brakes to "lock up". I have checked the voltage at the wheels, and it is not the controller, they get full voltage. It is not the adjustment or the brakes (they have a little bit of drag on them constantly, I shouldn't have to do this, it will wear them out faster, and use more gas).
Old 05-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #15

I lock up mine on my 21QB with my F150 at 8.5
Old 05-19-2020, 12:19 AM   #16

OP Update:
I’ve had the trailer for a year now and checked the brakes again. I’m pleased to say that they now lock up at 5.5, right where I predicted when I first got the trailer. It seems as though the shoes have broken in now, maybe I just did my test too soon before they’d had a chance to set up properly. So, all is working well now, no other complaints with my X23B. It’s a great trailer.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourkids&abeagle View Post
My suspicion, though is that Mike is right and the brakes are just undersized. That’s the worst answer, though, because you can’t fix that.
Actually that isn't that difficult to fix, a bit of cost for a whole new brake setup, but compared to cars, trailer brakes are pretty cheap. A competent shop should be able to source the parts required and upgrade your brakes if needed.

After all, someone mentioned that Jayco themselves used to put larger brakes on these models. Just look for some previous generation parts.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, x23b