Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #1

X23B Bunk Ends coming detached

I noticed the other day that the front bunk end ceiling was coming detached from the trailer body. I found the tent material has a plastic edge that hooks onto a metal frame, and they secure with self tapping screws. I found one screw pulled thru the plastic, so I reattached adding a flat washer. Is there any upgrades to this design, or do we need to simply add more screws to hold these bunk ends up better? What is your experience?

1996 Jayco 1007 (sold)

2016 Jayco X23B
Krazyboutcampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #2

There's a few folks here with the same issue. What you did is pretty much the fix for this.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #3

At this point I'm convinced the problem is the self tapping screws. Those screws cut into metal, but simply pierce and (eventually) split the plastic.
I've removed the screws, pre-drilled slightly larger holes in the plastic, and added a rubber grommet and washer when replacing the screw. So far, the plastic hasn't split any further.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #4

That makes sense. I can't see them pre-drilling holes on the assembly line.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyboutcampin View Post
I noticed the other day that the front bunk end ceiling was coming detached from the trailer body. I found the tent material has a plastic edge that hooks onto a metal frame, and they secure with self tapping screws. I found one screw pulled thru the plastic, so I reattached adding a flat washer. Is there any upgrades to this design, or do we need to simply add more screws to hold these bunk ends up better? What is your experience?
When we bought our trailer, it had this issue on the front bunk, but we didn't notice it until we were out on our first camping trip. We never did have leakage in that spot, but for as much as we paid for our trailer (and will be paying for years), we wanted it fixed while our trailer was under it's two-year warranty. At first they added more screws. Which of course ripped through. So we took it back and demanded a new seal. Apparently, they can't replace just the seal. They had to replace the entire tent. But I had to call Jayco myself and explain the situation and provide pictures for them to approve the repair. Jayco was very nice about it, but it was hassle having to call them instead of just working with dealer. In my opinion, it should have been installed properly in the first place.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2065.jpg  
mtyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtyler View Post
When we bought our trailer, it had this issue on the front bunk, but we didn't notice it until we were out on our first camping trip. We never did have leakage in that spot, but for as much as we paid for our trailer (and will be paying for years), we wanted it fixed while our trailer was under it's two-year warranty. At first they added more screws. Which of course ripped through. So we took it back and demanded a new seal. Apparently, they can't replace just the seal. They had to replace the entire tent. But I had to call Jayco myself and explain the situation and provide pictures for them to approve the repair. Jayco was very nice about it, but it was hassle having to call them instead of just working with dealer. In my opinion, it should have been installed properly in the first place.
Quick question, searching through a lot of the posts, I have noted most failures are with the front bunks - question- do you have an adjustment on your front bow brace (pole to extend the canvas that fits into the D-ring located above the bed shelf)? Thank you!
Geoscience Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoscience Guy View Post
Quick question, searching through a lot of the posts, I have noted most failures are with the front bunks - question- do you have an adjustment on your front bow brace (pole to extend the canvas that fits into the D-ring located above the bed shelf)? Thank you!
Our pole that extends the tent frame is indeed adjustable. We have it on the same setting it was on in the lot. I did see in another post someone tried using a shorter length setting, but then their tent was sagging. I don't think it is the pole length that is the problem. From the reading I've done on this, I think it is the construction method. They do not predrill the holes in the seal, and then they use power screwdrivers to install them quickly. They are probably getting screwed in so fast and deep/tight that it splits the seal. I read on here of several people removing their screws, predrilling a new hole in the seal in a different spot, and then putting a washer on the screw. Our back tent also has split now, though not as bad as the front. Originally, I think they just did not line up the seal well on the front, because there was not enough seal length for it be flush against the opening. They ended up having to replace that tent while it was still under warranty, though I did have to contact Jayco myself to get that accomplished. Apparently Jayco is no longer making hybrids--I'm guessing they are sick of dealing with all the tent seal complaints....
Old 09-05-2021, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtyler View Post
Our pole that extends the tent frame is indeed adjustable. We have it on the same setting it was on in the lot. I did see in another post someone tried using a shorter length setting, but then their tent was sagging. I don't think it is the pole length that is the problem. From the reading I've done on this, I think it is the construction method. They do not predrill the holes in the seal, and then they use power screwdrivers to install them quickly. They are probably getting screwed in so fast and deep/tight that it splits the seal. I read on here of several people removing their screws, predrilling a new hole in the seal in a different spot, and then putting a washer on the screw. Our back tent also has split now, though not as bad as the front. Originally, I think they just did not line up the seal well on the front, because there was not enough seal length for it be flush against the opening. They ended up having to replace that tent while it was still under warranty, though I did have to contact Jayco myself to get that accomplished. Apparently Jayco is no longer making hybrids--I'm guessing they are sick of dealing with all the tent seal complaints....
I agree the material and the installation method indeed had a role in the splitting of the poly trim with some - as with mine. Now for the pole adjustment, my front tent pole had adjustments; however, it was on the last adjustment. Therefore, it only had one tension setting, very tight, which would not allow for tent shrinkage when wet, as per manufacture. "All canvas products will shrink when wet. To prevent the shrinkage from damaging the tent, such as pulling seams loops and material, reduce frame tension when canvas is wet". Re-tension when dry - on another forum the new tent manufacture for the canvas "Top Stitch" noted it could be a problem with the old Veada (LCI) canvases if they are not adjusted when wet. Again, I had to cut off a 1/2-inch my pole for adjustment on the front canvas--- I had adjustments on the back bunk- I have both set with a little sag-- I am still trying to work with LCI and Jayco - we shall see---- Thank you again for your input - it does help!
Old 09-05-2021, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
I agree the material and the installation method indeed had a role in the splitting of the poly trim with some - as with mine. Now for the pole adjustment, my front tent pole had adjustments; however, it was on the last adjustment. Therefore, it only had one tension setting, very tight, which would not allow for tent shrinkage when wet, as per manufacture. "All canvas products will shrink when wet. To prevent the shrinkage from damaging the tent, such as pulling seams loops and material, reduce frame tension when canvas is wet". Re-tension when dry - on another forum the new tent manufacture for the canvas "Top Stitch" noted it could be a problem with the old Veada canvases if they are not adjusted when wet. Again, I had to cut off a 1/2-inch my pole for adjustment on the front canvas--- I had adjustments on the back bunk- I have both set with a little sag-- I am still trying to work with LCI and Jayco - we shall see---- Thank you again for your input - it does help!
Our pole for our front tent is indeed on its last adjustment as well.... But I hadn't paid attention to whether that was as long as it got, or if that was the shortest setting! Now I am curious! (We don't change them before stowing.) I'm guessing it is at it's shortest if you had to cut some off to reduce the pole length.... We might have to try this too. If you can remember to, please report back here and let us know if keeping it with a little sag during rain helps prevent the tent from shrinking and pulling on seal too much. One thing I do remember reading in the owner's manual about the tents was to avoid touching the inner fabric when it is wet on the outside, as skin oils could cause leakage.
Old 09-06-2021, 03:10 AM   #10

You are correct, our manual does reference about touching the fabric and the seasoning process along with the use of seam sealer, but nothing about tent shrinkage, in the manual, when wet. We have not camped much in our Jayco, just the KZ, so we still had the tags attached to the canvas windows detailing the "Care Tips on Tents" and "General Tent Information". Referencing other forums on the Jayco (Veada (LCI) plastic strip problems) I came across the "Top Stitch" post on the over-tension on the seams etc. when wet. We had never readjusted our poles from the factory adjustment- I did notice the Jayco was very hard to insert the end (factory - dealer adjustment) of the brace into the bracket mounted on the upper shelf compared to our KZ, mainly on the front bunk on the Jayco, that had no adjustment. On this last trip out, I noticed no adjustment on the front pole and a couple adjustments on the back pole. Noting from some other posts on this forum and noting the information ref. from the canvas tags, I cut the outer part of the front outer tube part of the post 1/2-inch, which allowed use of the adjustments - I have not found any reference on the tension guidelines, other than re-adjust when wet. So I have adjusted both bunks with just a little less tension than the factory settings, also taking into account the small amount of elongation of the side cables with weight added - we use Popup Gizmos on both bunks, they still work fine - all windows open fine etc. The tension on the corners are less and I don't have to stand back and push on the pole end to insert into the bracket! The tension is about the same as the KZ---- we have never seasoned the canvas or been in heavy rain yet - so with that in mind, the factory tension on the front bunk "with no adjustment"---, I believe would not only split the strip more, but could possibly cause it to leak with a heavy soaking rain etc. I have read a couple of posts that after the second day of rain, the canvas started to leak---- as I posted, we completed just a temporary fix on the corners due to the splits in the plastic strip, still awaiting Jayco and LCI approval- so less tension will also help any further advancement and hopefully hold the repair to prevent leakage. Thank you - well keep you posted on the outcome. Jayco Jay Feather 7 19XUD Travel Trailer
Old 10-22-2021, 11:08 AM   #11

New Trim Installed

New Trim Installed
Here is the final installation of the new trim design, I ordered the trim for a 2020 Z17X trim for my 2017 19UXD Jay Feather 7, because of the width of the Jay Feather 7, had to cut off a little off the upper trim.

The trim pinches the J-Lock strip so I will not have to drill holes and use screws, as the factory did that caused the cracks and separation of the plastic strip.
I have not replaced the plastic strip yet, wanted to see how this would work before the replacement. So far looks very promising, see attached pictures.

I will start the complaint process with the AG on the strip matter which so many have been experiencing due to the factory installation.
The pictures are taken of the front bunk installation of the new trim only. It took about 1 hour to complete the installation. I will attach the Jayco design later - hope this helps folks ---
Attached Thumbnails
new trim 3.jpg   new trim 2.jpg   new trim 1.jpg   Jayco design.jpg  
Old 10-22-2021, 01:35 PM   #12

This is amazing! You did this repair yourself? Were you able to order just these trim materials from your dealer then? Or did you order it elsewhere? How much did it cost? Thank you so much for continuing to update this thread!

Quote:
New Trim Installed
Here is the final installation of the new trim design, I ordered the trim for a 2020 Z17X trim for my 2017 19UXD Jay Feather 7, because of the width of the Jay Feather 7, had to cut off a little off the upper trim.

The trim pinches the J-Lock strip so I will not have to drill holes and use screws, as the factory did that caused the cracks and separation of the plastic strip.
I have not replaced the plastic strip yet, wanted to see how this would work before the replacement. So far looks very promising, see attached pictures.

I will start the complaint process with the AG on the strip matter which so many have been experiencing due to the factory installation.
The pictures are taken of the front bunk installation of the new trim only. It took about 1 hour to complete the installation. I will attach the Jayco design later - hope this helps folks ---
Old 10-22-2021, 01:37 PM   #13

I also love what you did with adding that snap buckle! That looks so much easier to deal with!
Old 10-23-2021, 12:33 PM   #14

New Trim Installed

The cost was $55.44 plus taxes per bunk end - drop shipped from Jayco - I had to go through a dealer. I ordered two 0858182 ($23.58 ea.) - trim RF Blk 71.75 inches long - cut off to fit the top - using the trim cut-off, I cut 2-inch pieces for the back bunk sides.

The upper decks on both bunk ends did not fit the width, so I angled the trim some to fit over and pinch the welt (J-Lock). The over hang in the back bunk did not measure the same - bad QC, so I had to trim down the top of that corner (cover) plastic piece 03253988 Cover, Corner Intr Bed Door RH (15.93 ea. - two each & two 0325399 Cover Intr Bed Door LH). It is pretty tight in the back RH bunk end, but doable.

The cut 2-inch pieces, I used the cutter to smooth the edges off before installing, as not to cut people or the canvas, - see attached pictures. You can order the shorter 0858183 ($23.58 ea.) - for the back bunk end (the front already had them installed at the factory), from the forum - there really isn't a lot of problems with the lower sides.

I did do it myself, that way I could report back - I am handy, not an expert. The front was not too difficult to install; however, the back was difficult due to the tight RH side and the factory over hang measurement problem - very uneven from the LH to RH.

Both of the bunk end factory cut outs had gaps at the top and sides (why they couldn't cut them closer to the size of the bunk is a mystery?) - so you do have to angle the screws a little-, but it hold the trim great and did pinch the tent welt nicely on mine.

All the trim was $120.04, that included the shipping and taxes was not bad. I will have to disassemble when I do the new plastic strip, but I believe this will fix the problem for the future - I hate to think about putting holes in the new plastic strip - I think this will help the resale also -

Again, it was a little difficult due to the back bunk end factory problem - I feel much better that this is a solid update. If Jayco had a better QA/QC program------ Yes, the snap buckles work much better - that hook was a pain to get off when rigging up - I also installed a strap on the canvas back pull up brace - the strap goes over the mattress, so I don't have to reach over the mattress to pull it up when rigging up the bunk ends.

I hope this helps folks with the problem - Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
back bund side 1.jpg   back bund side 2.jpg   back bund side 3.jpg   Jayco design.jpg  
Old 02-10-2022, 12:20 PM   #15

Drill another hole in the poles

I had this same problem on my X23B, and Jayco ended up replacing both tents but didn't make any suggestions for how to prevent it in the future. What I realized is that the pole is way too long, even at the shortest length (or last hole in the pole). This puts extreme tension on the upper corners of the tent, which is where mine were tearing through. So while I was waiting for the replacement, I drilled two extra holes in the pole, and it seems to have worked so far. I've had it out on several trips since then. There is a little sag, but I'll take that all day long over torn tent seals.

Also, reminder that the tents have a five-year warranty on parts. I think you'd have to pay for shipping and install, but you should be able to get free replacements anyway. Not sure how long they will have them in backstock now that they've stopped making hybrids, though.

I think drilling larger holes with grommets in the seal like in a previous post, plus reducing tension in the corners is about all you can do. Hope that helps.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:31 AM   #16

Sadly I have the same issue discussed within this thread. I have a 2018 X23B which I purchased second hand. I noticed the issue on both the front and rear bunks (not as bad on the rear) towards the end of the season last year. I brought the trailer in for service last week and was told that the ONLY fix was to completely replace both tent ends - $1,850 for just the parts. Felt strange to me. Canvas is fine. Zippers are fine. Screens are fine. Only problem was the seal and the cracked plastic from the screws at installation.

Sounds to me like the problem is a combination of poor installation/build quality at the factory and Jayco not understanding the tolerances of the canvas as it pertains to the length of the tent poles. I was wondering what replacing the ends would do other than provide new material. Didn't appear to be the best approach to prevent the problem from recurring. Very glad I found this thread and thank you very much for all of your input.

Seems to me my best path forward would be to 1) photograph the issue, contact Jayco, and request replacement seals. 2) Do the seal replacement myself 3) make the tent poles a 1/2 inch shorter. Does that sound correct to the folks here?

Kind of a bummer that this happens as this thread is not the first I have found. Seems like an issue that Jayco should acknowledge and assist with a bit more. Other than the tent end problem, we absolutely love the trailer. We had a blast all summer last year and I hope that I'll be able to patch things up for the upcoming season.
New2RV2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2RV2021 View Post
Sadly I have the same issue discussed within this thread. I have a 2018 X23B which I purchased second hand. I noticed the issue on both the front and rear bunks (not as bad on the rear) towards the end of the season last year. I brought the trailer in for service last week and was told that the ONLY fix was to completely replace both tent ends - $1,850 for just the parts. Felt strange to me. Canvas is fine. Zippers are fine. Screens are fine. Only problem was the seal and the cracked plastic from the screws at installation.

Sounds to me like the problem is a combination of poor installation/build quality at the factory and Jayco not understanding the tolerances of the canvas as it pertains to the length of the tent poles. I was wondering what replacing the ends would do other than provide new material. Didn't appear to be the best approach to prevent the problem from recurring. Very glad I found this thread and thank you very much for all of your input.

Seems to me my best path forward would be to 1) photograph the issue, contact Jayco, and request replacement seals. 2) Do the seal replacement myself 3) make the tent poles a 1/2 inch shorter. Does that sound correct to the folks here?

Kind of a bummer that this happens as this thread is not the first I have found. Seems like an issue that Jayco should acknowledge and assist with a bit more. Other than the tent end problem, we absolutely love the trailer. We had a blast all summer last year and I hope that I'll be able to patch things up for the upcoming season.
Welcome Aboard New2RV2021!

Lot of us, just added a few additional screws and backed them up with a washer. I have never had issues with the rear bunk. The front bunk on the other hand I have dealt with it twice. 1st time, I just added a few washers behind each of the screw heads in the affected area. 2nd time, was after a really big storm. I then just drilled a few pilot holes and added a few additional screws. My observation, do not over tighten the screws, or the plastic piece cracks.

Happy camping

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 02:20 PM   #18

I have a 16XRB that this is just starting to happen to.

I was wondering if putting this over the existing molding would help. It would certainly dress it up.

https://www.recpro.com/1-white-flexi...ding-with-leg/
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:45 PM   #19

I was thinking of doing same thing to my x23B, I noted that the newer year models have a continous strip that covers the bead of the tent, I don't think they use screws now. How did you get the drawing?
JoeSenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:07 PM   #20

Trim around the plastic strip

Yes, the newer models do not use screws through the plastic strip - I got the drawing using a newer model VIN number - I went online for newer model campers for sale - picked the one that would work - used that VIN number to order the strip through the dealer - they always need a number. Again, newer models don't use screws through the plastic strip - in addition, I shorted the front tension pole for the tent - it had no adjustment and had too much tension. Thank you I hope this helps folks!