Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #1

X23b Tank Level Gauges

Our family recently purchased a 2015 X23b and I wanted to get some feedback on the tank level gauges. I understand that they both have 22.5 gallon capacity but to me it seems that the gauges may just not be as accurate as I was expecting. Granted this is our first travel trailer but we are conservative with our water use knowing that we only have approximately 20 gallons of storage in each. What makes me keep scratching my head for instance is when I used it over the weekend on a solo trip my gray water gauge read 2/3 full after washing two small pots and taking a quick (less than 5 minute and only running water while rinsing) shower. I just am not convinced that I used around 15 gallons of water during that time. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Elk Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:58 AM   #2

We have a 2014 model and our gauges have never been 100% accurate. I'm curious to hear feedback from other owners.
2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #3

Do not trust the gauges. The black tank is probably the worst due to the toilet paper, hangs up on the sensors.

I have done a few things that I think helps. With the open underbelly, I crawled under the unit and coated the crimp wire connects for the tanks with liquid electrical tape to keep corrosion out. I also did this to the wire connections at the sensor/tank wall.

Always (summer months) keep a few gallons of water in each waste tank.

I periodically add liquid fabric softener to the two waste tanks, it seams to help keep the tank walls clean. When I do it, it will be for a few trips in a row.

When I really want to know how much water is in the FW tank, I go around to the street side, with a flashlight and shine the light through the tank wall, to see the water level.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #4

Tank readings are the most frustrating thing for any RV owner. RVs are cheap even when they cost a million dollars. The cheap little button sensors they install in the tanks get gunked up quickly and often there will be enough gunk on the side of the tank to allow current flow between the sensors giving you false readings. Another complaint you hear often is, "How can my fresh tank go from Full to 2/3 when all I did was wash my hands?"

There are 4 sensors in each tank. Common, 1/3, 2/3 and Full. Current runs between the sensors. You can have a full tank and run just enough water to lower the fluid level to no longer reach the Full sensor and it will indicate 2/3rd full because that's the highest sensor still getting current even though the tank is still "almost" full. A little below 2/3 indicates 1/3 and a little below 1/3 indicates empty. Same thing in reverse as you fill your tanks.

Obviously a better design would be a float or a strip sensor with a continuous gauge like we have in our cars but it is what it is. Everybody complains about them, doesn't trust them, uses a broom handle the check the black tank, uses a flashlight to check the fresh tanks, goes to all kinds of trouble and spends money on goofy gadgets to rinse their tanks, etc. It seems like half the RV internet is dedicated to tank cleaning tips, tricks, techniques and gadgets.

In your case I suspect the side of your tank was wet from the running water and it allowed current to flow to the 2/3 sensor. If you left it alone and checked an hour later it might have dried out and been back to normal. One tip that worked for me is to upgrade the button sensors in your tanks to Horst Miracle Probes. I found out about them on this forum because somebody lists them in their signature as an upgrade they've done to their x23B. I put mine in about a year and a half ago and my readings have been spot on since. (no, I don't work for or sell the things) Best upgrade I've done to my trailer. I take that back. The electric jack I put on is the best. :-)

Horst Mircacle Probes - Get accurate reading on your RV's holding tanks