Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #1

X23E weight Questions

Hello all,

New to the forum here, I hope I am aloud on here as we have not purchased yet but have questions. We will hopefully be purchasing next winter and have it narrowed down to a 2020 or 2021 X23E but have some tow vehicle payload concerns. This will be our first travel trailer so I have no clue on how close people come to the trailer GVWR or how much weight people usually pack on average etc... so any info or thoughts would be awesome. I was basing tongue weight on trailer GVWR at 15% so 6150 for X23E at 15% would be 922 of tow vehicle payload right there.

Tow vehicle is a 2020 F150 XLT Sport
GVWR 7000
Payload 1771
GCWR 16,100? not too sure as ford does not make it easy, although I don't think it matter as payload I believe will be my limiting factor.

Like I said this will be our first travel trailer so any info is GREAT.

Thanks,

Jesse
Jesse Bradburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:41 PM   #2

13% is probably more realistic than 15%. But going by GVWR is a good idea because it's your worst case scenario. Everyone travels and packs differently. Realistically what do you think you're going to carry in the truck? Add it up. And don't forget to count the weight of the WDH system, usually 75#-100#. I'm thinking you'll still be well under that 1771, which is pretty good.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:05 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply,

Well myself, wife, 2 kids (still growing) and dog is say 650
Hitch 100
Bed cover 60

I’ll just call that 800 to be easy

The 13% tongue weight would be better but I don’t want to just bank on it being 13 or less? But even at 13% that’s 800 tongue weight which puts my payload at 1600 with nothing else in the truck which isn’t much when you think generator maybe or a couple water jugs if we need them.

That’s why I was wondering if basing it off GVWR is realistic or are most people well under that as that could give more leeway?
Old 02-25-2021, 04:51 PM   #4

I believe the live cargo (people/pets) is also deducted from the payload. Another thing to think on is all of the hitch weight goes on the rear axle. While the payload is 1700#. The rear GAWR might be 1200# (the actual # is on the sticker on driver’s door jamb).
Since it sounds like you own the future TV I’d suggest filling the tank and loading the tribe and making a visit to a CAT Scale and get the actual axle weights. Add some #’s to the rear weight for the hitch, genny, water jugs, firewood . . . The difference between that number and the Rear GAWR is an estimate of the max hitch weight you should tolerate.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:13 PM   #5
Site Team

The numbers are slightly different between 2020 and 2021. I'm not sure what the change(s) were.

You'd be surprised at how much weight you add with your personal belongings, food, cooking gear, and miscellaneous stuff. It adds up fast, especially after a year or two of "oh, maybe we really need 'this and 'that'". We try hard to make whatever we carry on board or in the truck, as light a version as we can. And agreed on the Cat scale being important. Loaded like you're leaving for a camping trip.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:49 PM   #6

RedHorse1 you make some good points about the GAWR's, i guess you could technically be within payload but rear axle overloaded... never thought of that.
my front GAWR is 3450 lbs and the rear is 3800 lbs. Also good idea about loading up the truck with all of us and then adding numbers to the rear axle weight to calculate.
And yes JayFlightRisk things add up quick I know haha, I just didn't know with travel trailers how much room is left before you reach GVWR even if you pack on the heavier side which is why i was asking if most people reach their trailer GVWR not nowhere close.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Bradburn View Post
RedHorse1 you make some good points about the GAWR's, i guess you could technically be within payload but rear axle overloaded... never thought of that.
my front GAWR is 3450 lbs and the rear is 3800 lbs. Also good idea about loading up the truck with all of us and then adding numbers to the rear axle weight to calculate.
And yes JayFlightRisk things add up quick I know haha, I just didn't know with travel trailers how much room is left before you reach GVWR even if you pack on the heavier side which is why i was asking if most people reach their trailer GVWR not nowhere close.
You will need to watch how much you load in the trailer based on the cargo capacity of the X23E. Brochure cargo capacity is 915 but the as-delivered capacity will almost certainly be a little bit less based on factory installed options. Look at the yellow sticker on the front street side of the trailer for the actual payload available on the unit. Adding a small group 24 battery and the dual 20lb propane tanks is probably ~115 off that. If you fill the fresh water tank (including water heater) another ~398.

This was the dilemma we had with our 195RB which only had ~740 cargo. Even though it was just the two of us we always ran with it loaded right up to the GVWR and that was with only a few gallons of water in the tank. With careful planning about what to pack you can make it work just fine.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #8

"Up to" GVWR for the trailer isn't an issue. For most of us getting "down to" GVWR is the problem. It's unlikely you'll discover any wiggle room there. The likely scenario is that your trailer will be at or above the GVWR and you'll have to pull some stuff out, drain all the fresh water, leave a kid behind...

You're correct in your assumption that you'll run out of payload before running out of towing capacity. If you've got the truck, throw the generator in the back of you have it, load up a cooler, some chairs, some bikes, some other toys, and the family, and head for a CAT scale. Add some weight for the hitch and see what you have left for payload. Prepare to be disappointed, we've all been there.