Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #1

X23F fresh water system

I picked up my new X23F last week. We will be dry camping next weekend. Do I need to disinfect the water system or is it good from the factory?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2016 JayFlight X23F
11 Expedition EL
4 Girls under 8 yrs old
1 Wife
1 Dog
2 guinea pigs that stay home...
cbaka27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #2

I would do a disinfection.
No telling how long ago it was actually made at the factory.
And if you picked it up from an RV dealer, I wouldn't believe what they may have told you.
When we picked up our camper, we asked them if it was ready to go camping - as in, could we leave right from the dealers and go camping. They assured us that it was. Got it home and all the pipes still had antifreeze in them.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:46 PM   #3

I would sanitize, then you know it was done.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #4

Fill the tank with diluted bleach, pull water through all lines until you smell the chlorine in the faucets / shower / toilet, then if possible drive the trailer a bit to splash around the water a bit. Once done, drain the tank, refill with clean water, and flush all the lines again. Easy peasy. I do this once a year in the spring.

I always partially fill and then drain our tank with city water on every trip, since even if we have hookups where we're going, sometimes you might need a quick bathroom break or whatever else on the road, and it's nice to be able to use the camper instead of just finding a public bathroom. The constant filling/draining with city water (which has a small amount of chlorine) will keep the system clean during the season if you just use it frequently also.
twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaka27 View Post
I picked up my new X23F last week. We will be dry camping next weekend. Do I need to disinfect the water system or is it good from the factory?

Congratulations on the new Jay Feather.

As others have said, sanitize the water system.

ALSO, temporarily remove the aerators from the faucet spout when you first run the water through the faucet. If you don't, manufacturing debris can get caught and plug them.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:01 PM   #6

Good tip... I did sanitize the water system last week. We got home from our first 3 day trip yesterday. So far we love the 23f so much more than our 28BHS. Good tip on the aerators. I will do that this week and make sure they are clean.

2016 JayFlight X23F
11 Expedition EL
4 Girls under 8 yrs old
1 Wife
1 Dog
2 guinea pigs that stay home...
cbaka27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #7

I know how you feel about your 23F

Everyone who sees it, and especially who checks it out inside, loves it. Nobody can believe how huge it is inside. My only real gripe with the design is the tiny counter (after you take the sink and stove out of the calculation) and I would have liked a bit larger shower.

Not to derail this thread, but I recently saw an "aerolite" 224ES at a dealer near where we were camping, it's basically the same as the 23F, except the bathroom is rectangular, and it has a larger shower. And the usable countertop is way bigger, if I had seen these before we got the 23F, maybe we would have gone with it instead, but still no regrets....

2015 Aerolite Aerolite 224es - Camping World - 1398136
twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote