Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #1

X23F Question on Stabilizing

Our new X23F is great in all respects save one: When any one so much as sneezes, the whole camper feels like it's rocking... We are on solid ground, lowered the built-in stabilizers (have them resting on flat cut pieces of wood), and cranked them down just to the point of being "snug".

Am I doing something wrong? Would bricks be better? Do I need to crank down harder? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Clyde
ArmyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:47 PM   #2

Our 23F is the same way, very bouncy. Putting more tension on the stabilizers helps, but we have never gotten it what I would call exceptionally stable. Looking forward to any advice here if there is a way to make it a bit better.
twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #3

Using an x-chock type device between the wheels helps alot. Tightening the stabilizers up maybe 12 hours after arriving helps. Adding anther stabilizer right in front of the wheels really help.

There are also a number of other products you can buy that are said to help, but I have never tried them.

You will always have some bounce.

Happy travels

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #4

These work unbelievably well

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoballscrewball View Post
Our 23F is the same way, very bouncy. Putting more tension on the stabilizers helps, but we have never gotten it what I would call exceptionally stable. Looking forward to any advice here if there is a way to make it a bit better.
3 sets of these on my White Hawk and it doesn't budge. Rock solid.

Lots of discussion on homemade stabilizers here:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ers-37539.html
Campbellizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:12 AM   #5

I bought the x chocks, and they don't do a thing in our x23b. We don't have much rocking fore and aft, which is what the x-chocks protect against, we have it side to side.

I'm thinking about building some of those home made stabilizers to see if they help.
Retired - 1996 Coleman Cheyenne Pop-Up
RIP Chloe, a very good dog - 9/15/01-12/02/17

johnsoax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #6

We use X-Chocks and the trailer is great now whereas without them, I feel unstable walking, Kind of like walking on a boat in rocky seas. Adding some jacks to either side would help reduce the side to side, but I would have thought the stabilizers would handle that. Trick there is not to extend them out in terms of full range of motion but rather use some wood blocks or something to decrease the distance you have to lower them and then snug them up.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #7

I'm also sold on X-Chocks, you're not gonna get 100% but these will get you pretty close. I run my corner stabilizers down with a ratchet drill then I snug them up with the hand crank.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #8

In line with what Dagwood said regarding not extending the stabilizers so far:

This past weekend I took a set ot 8X8X12 wooden blocks (Cut up 8X8 landscape timbers) and put one under each stabilizer, which really limited how far they had to deploy. Snugged them all up tight, then about an hour later snugged them up a bit more after everything settled. The trailer was remarkably stable this weekend, and we even had half a dozen kids running in and out of it all the time.

Additionally, putting some support under the bottom step really helps as well, as there is a lot of leverage on the trailer when someone is flopping up and down the steps.
twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #9

adds to the movement. I use a block of wood, with a piece of heavy copper sheet metal on top of that. Other use a replacement pad, which you can buy. I would still place that on a piece of wood. The wheels really allow the tongue to move around.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 09-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
adds to the movement. I use a block of wood, with a piece of heavy copper sheet metal on top of that. Other use a replacement pad, which you can buy. I would still place that on a piece of wood. The wheels really allow the tongue to move around.
hum, I see I did not copy over everything I wrote. Here is the whole statement.

One more question; are you using the tongue wheel that came with the unit? If you are, dump it. That adds to the movement. I use a block of wood, with a piece of heavy copper sheet metal on top of that. Other use a replacement pad, which you can buy. I would still place that on a piece of wood. The wheels really allow the tongue to move around.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 09-15-2016, 07:13 AM   #11

Thanks!

Great suggestions! I think one thing I'm doing wrong is using only one piece of wood under each stabilizer. I'm going to add a couple of piece so I don't have to extend the stabilizers down so far.

Thanks all!
ArmyVet is offline   Reply With Quote