Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #1

You ever lose something down the toilet?

First morning camping in our brand new x17z - my 9 year old daughter uses the washroom and somehow (and I still can't figure out how) flushed the toilet paper holder down the toilet! I tried draining the tank a couple of times using a transparent elbow on the drain hose to see everything coming out with no luck of recovering the tp holder. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can remove it from the tank without removing the tank from the trailer? Thanks!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:46 AM   #2

I have had a similar situation. I am known in our group as the "Black water tank fishing expert".

I was pouring a dish pan of water in the toilet to conserve grey water tank space. I was holding the valve open while pouring. Lo and behold 3 pieces of silverware went down the toilet. I spent an hour using a coat hanger with a magnet taped to it. I eventually recovered all three pieces.

The key in my case was nothing was moved. No adding water. No draining. Hoping the items would remain close to straight down below the valve. Which they did.

Since you have drained your tank the paper holder has probably moved. Good luck.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:21 AM   #3

I presume it is the roll tube? The good news is that other than the part getting stuck in the dump valve (unlikey, but if it does try to flush it all the way out) it shouldn't hurt anything rolling around in there.

Maybe try suspending a strong magnet on a piece of fishing line before traveling. The roll tube likely has a spring in the inside. Maybe the magnet will snag that as the holder sloshes around. At least you may recover the spring.

This won't help, but it reminded me...

A guy was visiting Maine. He went into the two holer outhouse. While he was busy a local Mainer came in, did his business quickly, and got up to pull up his pants. As he did, a quarter fell out of his pocket and went right down the hole. He peered in, took out his wallet, removed a twenty and tossed it down the hole.

The visitor exclaimed, "Why did you do THAT??".

The reply, "Ya didn't expect me to go in thar' just for a quarter did you?"

Happy Fishing. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #4

Well it can't be all that bad. You know the ole saying you can't smell your own pooh... Dig in there and retrieve it...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Site Team

A couple of Ideas

If you have elbows in your pipe that runs from where it exits from the black tank to where you connect your sewer hose, it possible that the TP paper holder could be wedged in an elbow.

If the piping from your black tank "T"s into where your gray tank pipe connects, The TP holder might be wedged in there. Take your cap off where you connect your sewer hose, shine a light up there and see if you can see it. It's worth a try if you haven't done so already.

Good Luck!

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #6

Every morning.....right after my coffee [ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPenguin View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can remove it from the tank without removing the tank from the trailer? Thanks!
I suggest you forget about it. You won't be able to get it out and it won't hurt anything.

BTW - I take it that you mean the spring-loaded rod that holds the TP in the holder assembly. See, when I hear TP holder I thing of the whole assembly - rid as well as the two arms that are fixed to the wall. Can't believe she flushed all that.
Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
Every morning.....right after my coffee [ATTACH][/ATTACH]

So true......
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:41 PM   #9

Thanks for the input and jokes. It was the plastic spring loaded rod that took a dive into the black tank.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #10

If the holder floats, there's a chance it might get flushed out some day. My Z is in storage so I can't check. Otherwise I agree with others who say don't worry about it.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #11

I wouldn't disagree with others about leaving it in, but if it was mine I would want it out - just because.

What I would try first is raise the front end with the tongue jack as high as it will go to create a slope toward the rear. Run a steady stream of water through the toilet with a garden hose. Open the dump valve and run a snake up through the discharge pipe while the water is running to move and/or dislodge the TP roller. If you have a wand (easily made from PVC) you can direct the water toward the front so you know you're getting the whole tank.

Something else you could try: When I had my 17Z, I had to get underneath to reconnect a tank monitor wire. If you park the TT on blocks and lower the front there is enough room to work without jacking. In that position, I would snake through the dump valve and try to move / dislodge the TP roller. You might get lucky enough to have it end up where you can get it through the toilet. I don't think you could catch it with a magnet. (Drain first if you try this method.)

Are you handy? It's not THAT big of a job to disconnect the discharge pipe(s). Make sure you have new seals available for reassembly. Your TT is brand new so you might not need them. Good luck.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #12

Get it out...or it will become wrapped with toilet paper. Then it will dry and get hard when you store it.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #13

I agree with TB, get it out or it may end up like a branch in a culvert. It'll collect everything and eventually clog. I would figure out which way the black tank drains, if it drains towards the front [you may have to remove a portion of covered bottom of the trailer, if applicable] have someone raise the front of the camper while you are looking down the toilet with a flashlight, it might just roll backwards and if you see it, get a stick and put a rolled up piece of duct tape, sticky side out and try to remove it that way. Of course, make sure the tank is empty. Wow, that was long winded and actually sounds kind of silly. Or you could just keep filling and dumping the tank until you see it come out.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #14

Nobody really knows what may happen, including me. I think it unlikely that a light plastic tube will collect a bunch of debris. If it does dry out over winter, it will wet right up as soon as the tank is used again. If it should grow bigger then it will be easier to see.

I think I remember "brand new" in the original post. I'd take a wait and see attitude for a couple reasons. One is that it is such a crappy job. Two is that if an owner starts disassembling things it may cause do-do with any future warranty issues on a brand new RV.

If it should plug something up then that will be the time to no longer just sit there in contemplation, but stand up to hose things down.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:16 AM   #15

I watched this thread to learn about clearing an obstruction so when it happens to me, I would no where to start. Please let us know how you resolve your problem. (Even if it's not a problem.)
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
...I think it unlikely that a light plastic tube will collect a bunch of debris. ...
...and I never thought a length of quarter-round (which is about the same diameter as the TP holder tube) that a "prankster" shoved down the toilet drain via the mounting flange in our new home before the toilet was attached would cause the toilet to back-up either. What a surprise it was when my father and I removed the toilet to figure out what was causing the clogs and discovered it in the pipe.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
I watched this thread to learn about clearing an obstruction so when it happens to me, I would no where to start. Please let us know how you resolve your problem. (Even if it's not a problem.)
I will update in the spring when the trailer comes out of hibernation.