Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #1

2014-2018 Precept motorhomes

Jayco is recalling 1,160 model year 2014-2018 Precept motorhomes built on Ford F53 chassis. The hydraulic lines may have been incorrectly routed too close to the exhaust without a heat shield.
Incorrect routing of the hydraulic line can cause the line to melt from the exhaust heat, resulting in a loss of braking, increasing the risk of a crash or fire.

Jayco will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and correct the hydraulic line routing as necessary and install a heat shield, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin November 15, 2019. Owners may contact Jayco customer service at 1-800-517-9137. Jayco’s number for this recall is 9903440.

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153).

https://www.rvtravel.com/jayco-recalls-918b/
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #2

Has anyone rectified this issue themselves? Seems all the dealers in my area wont work on it if you didn't buy it from them or are booked out until June? Just wondering if its an easy fix or what to look for.

Thanks,
Glen
Dopalgangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:58 AM   #3

Jayco will probably not send you the parts to fix this, but it could be done if you have access to a piece of sheet metal. I had mine done and then I had to crawl under and fix what they did so that the hoses are protected. I had already had one hydraulic hose burst in me while traveling. Thought I blew the engine with all the smoke pouring out from under the coach. The recall is very poorly written and if the tech does follows the directions he may not reroute the hoses ABOVE the heat shield, which is why I had to reroute my hoses.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:01 PM   #4

Recall On Precept Hydraulic Hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThompson View Post
Jayco will probably not send you the parts to fix this, but it could be done if you have access to a piece of sheet metal. I had mine done and then I had to crawl under and fix what they did so that the hoses are protected. I had already had one hydraulic hose burst in me while traveling. Thought I blew the engine with all the smoke pouring out from under the coach. The recall is very poorly written and if the tech does follows the directions he may not reroute the hoses ABOVE the heat shield, which is why I had to reroute my hoses.
I am late in finding out about this recall but can you please tell me where to look under my Jayco Precept to see where this hydraulic hose is located?
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
I am late in finding out about this recall but can you please tell me where to look under my Jayco Precept to see where this hydraulic hose is located?
Just above the catalytic converter should be a piece of sheet metal used as a heat shield. The hydraulic hoses should be above this shield. If the shield is not there or if the hoses are below the shield, you need to correct that.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:35 PM   #6

Hydraulic Hoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThompson View Post
Just above the catalytic converter should be a piece of sheet metal used as a heat shield. The hydraulic hoses should be above this shield. If the shield is not there or if the hoses are below the shield, you need to correct that.
Thankyou very much. I just called Jayco and they were puzzled why I did not get a letter on the recall. They are sending me one now and I have already contacted a dealer who said they would do the repair.

Thanks again.

John James
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote